Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When did Eve commit sin?
When she talked to the serpent? 1 9.09%
When she looked at the forbidden fruit? 2 18.18%
When she thought about what would happen if she ate of the forbidden fruit? 2 18.18%
When she touched it? 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:38 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,186,383 times

Advertisements

None of the above. It was when she ate the fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 07:02 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,217,837 times
I voted "when she looked at the forbidden fruit" though I don't believe that choice is complete... in my opinion it was not merely looking at it, but looking at it and desiring it. It is the desire of something forbidden that created the sinfulness.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:05 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,661,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
I voted "when she looked at the forbidden fruit" though I don't believe that choice is complete... in my opinion it was not merely looking at it, but looking at it and desiring it. It is the desire of something forbidden that created the sinfulness.
Amen....!!!

James 1:12-15

Old 10-28-2009, 07:07 AM

Scripture tells us in Matthew 5:28 that if a man looks upon a woman (action) and lusts for her (thought), he has already committed adultery (the sin)

Looking upon the woman in and of itself is not the sin. We look upon people and things all the time and not necessarily are we sinning. Lusting for her however is where the sin process begins. Therefore, Eve looked upon the fruit, if it would have ended there, no sin would have been committed. However, it is when she lusted for it, desired that which was forbidden, that the sin became a reality.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:38 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,917,306 times
I have to say that I am dismayed at the responses here. What is our guide? The Word of God. Our opinions, including mine, are worthless at best. What did God say?

Genesis 3
3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

We must go by what God says, not what we think. Eve sinned when she reached out for the forbidden fruit and touched it; this was the precise moment of sin. If she would have quickly come to her senses and pulled her hand back before touching it, she would not have sinned; perhaps, she may have done that multiple times during the tempting process. It may have taken the devil 100 years or more to actually get Eve to sin. How many times did she talk to the serpent? How many times did she reject him? The Word doesn't go into detail about the tempting process.

Thousands of years later, Jesus went deeper by stating that sin can be committed by conceiving something in our hearts; this can happen before the act is carried out. However, the Word of God does not say that He told Adam & Eve this. God told them not to eat, or even touch, the forbidden fruit. We must go by what God says.

Was it wise to even talk to the serpent? No.
Was it wise to think about eating of the fruit? No.

The devil will use these tactics to slowly reel us in. He uses mind battles.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
I have to say that I am dismayed at the responses here. What is our guide? The Word of God. Our opinions, including mine, are worthless at best. What did God say?
Okay, I am not trying to be difficult here or go off topic, but trying to understand where you are coming from so bear with me...

Do you believe that because Adam was created first, Eve second from Adam's rib, means that God's intent was that Adam was the head of the household, and thus head over Eve? In other words, that Adam was to rule over Eve and Eve was to submit to Adam?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:48 AM

45,306 posts, read 26,855,200 times
Quote:

Genesis 3
3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

We must go by what God says, not what we think. Eve sinned when she reached out for the forbidden fruit and touched it;
The Genesis 3 quote is NOT what God said - it's what Eve's understanding was from Adam's command from what God told him.

God's command came to Adam here...

Gen. 2:16-17 - The LORD God commanded the man, saying, "From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."

The official God given command is about eating - not touching. The sin occurred upon eating the fruit.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:33 AM

32,941 posts, read 26,170,830 times
Quote:

Genesis 3

We must go by what God says, not what we think. Eve sinned when she reached out for the forbidden fruit and touched it; this was the precise moment of sin. If she would have quickly come to her senses and pulled her hand back before touching it, she would not have sinned; perhaps, she may have done that multiple times during the tempting process. It may have taken the devil 100 years or more to actually get Eve to sin. How many times did she talk to the serpent? How many times did she reject him? The Word doesn't go into detail about the tempting process.

Thousands of years later, Jesus went deeper by stating that sin can be committed by conceiving something in our hearts; this can happen before the act is carried out. However, the Word of God does not say that He told Adam & Eve this. God told them not to eat, or even touch, the forbidden fruit. We must go by what God says.

Was it wise to even talk to the serpent? No.
Was it wise to think about eating of the fruit? No.

The devil will use these tactics to slowly reel us in. He uses mind battles.
No. In Gen. 2:17 God said,''but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it, dying, you will die.''

The command was not to eat. God had said nothing about touching the fruit. It was Eve, who in a state of confusion, added the part about touching the fruit in Gen. 3:3.

The reason that Satan approached Eve, was two fold. First, he knew that he wouldn't be able to deceive Adam into eating the fruit. And second, by appoaching Eve and deceiving her into eating the fruit, she could not later use the excuse before God, that she had eaten the fruit out of obedience to Adam. As her husband, Adam was in authority over her, and so if he Had been deceived (which wasn't going to happen) and had then given the fruit to her, she could have said that she was just obeying her husband. Satan knew what he was doing in going to the woman, realizing that Adam would likely eat the fruit after seeing his beautiful naked wife standing before him in a fallen state, and about to be evicted from the garden. Adam chose her over God.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,917,306 times
I won't debate whether it was eating or touching that was the sin. The point I am making is to illustrate the difference between sin and temptation; many Christians try to blur the line that separates the two.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I won't debate whether it was eating or touching that was the sin. The point I am making is to illustrate the difference between sin and temptation; many Christians try to blur the line that separates the two.
Being tempted is not sin. Everyone is tempted. Even Jesus was tempted. Giving into the temptation, be it by word, thought, or deed is where the sin lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity