U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2009, 09:06 PM

1,470 posts, read 898,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Two identical acts, one done by a Christian and one by a non-Christian, and only the former is good? Then it must follow that if a Christian murders somebody that act is not bad. That explains why Christianity did not make the world a less bloody place. Who are we mere mortals to judge the Spanish Inquisitors as bad people? Torture obviously is only morally wrong if it is perpetrated by non-Christians. Thanks for clearing that up. What a stupid idea of mine that morality is treating others the way you would like to be treated.
That is my exact thinking as well. How someone can think that a good deed done by a non-Christian is not good is far beyond my comprehension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:11 PM

1,470 posts, read 898,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The acts are judged as being "good" by God alone....

and they are only good if God is behind the acts and is working though the person.
That is why the acts of a Christian make the Lord smile and tell us, "Well done!"
You realize that by saying God smiles and tells us "Well done" you are putting human concepts onto God. How do we know God smiles? So if we have 6 billion people in the world and all are committing some act, positive, negative or neutral by your reason at the exact same moment God is smiling at Christian good, frowning at Christian bad and neutral to all other humans actions.

Imagine how strong God's face muscles have to be to do that.

Personally I don't believe God has any human characteristics, so to say God can smile is trying to make God in my image and trying to fit who/what God is to be just like me.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,196,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
How someone can think .....
It doesn't matter what "someone" thinks, only God gets to make that call.
Only his view counts.

And the way it works is that the christian has the HS in his heart, and He helps the person onto good works.

That is why the works of a Christian are a sign of a true blessing in the life, and whereas other type of works are filthy rags....

So if a Person seeks to do good works? that is nice.
The first step is to become Born Again, and allow the Lord to rule in your life.
Then you will be given the gifts needed for you to do works that are truly "good" in God's eyes.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 PM

1,508 posts, read 816,015 times
Quote:
I was not aware that the Roman Catholic teachings about Purgatory held that it was a replacement for hell?

Is this official church teachings or are you reaching back and pulling that idea out on your own?

As far as I know, the official Catholic teaching on Purgatory is that it is only for the saved not the lost, and that it with the Lord in a place of growth.
It is a "state"
Purgatory is not a replacement for hell, it is where someone who has not quite reached the necessary purity for heaven does their pennance in preparation for heaven.
They see the "error of their ways", but by and large most of their contributions to life have been positive and Christian-like.
I was brought up Catholic, and if anything this is what was taught to me by those wiser than I -eg school teachers, parents.
This was their interpretation of what it is, and what I believe.
And nobody is ever "lost" unless that is wilfully and consciously what they wanted - ie they vehemently rejected God and were bad by nature.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
"Well done" ....
actually I quote the text....look it up

I always quote the text to support my views.
In this case, I quote from the book of Matthew.

and God has emotions by the way.
One quick look at the text should show you that the text does support the teaching that God has real emotions, love being the strongest and the reason for all of creation.

The idea that god sit in heaven like a unmoved rock, emotionless and rigid, is not found in the Bible...Where would such an idea come from if not the Bible?

Old 11-04-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
trying to make God in my image a....
The Bible tells us that Christ is at the right hand of the Father....(Acts 2.33)

So based on this use in the Bible, , is there anything wrong at all with the use of a phrase like "smile" or "Right hand" when talking about God who is spirit?

I dont think so....

Old 11-04-2009, 11:30 PM

4,381 posts, read 1,148,294 times
Quote:
When your loved ones are alive that is the time to worry over them and to help cause them to believe.

But once a person dies, then the point of worrying over their eternal fate ends...
I dont believe in the catholic teachings about praying someone out of Purgatory.
Wow, I don't think I'm hard hearted enough to not worry if someone I loved was in hell. I can't turn my feelings off like that.

Maybe that's why I'm not a Christian?

Old 11-04-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Wow, I don't think I'm hard hearted enough to not worry if someone I loved was in hell. I can't turn my feelings off like that.

Maybe that's why I'm not a Christian?
It all about trusting God, and not just navel-gazing about all the things you could have said to someone but didnt for some reason.

Each person born has to one day stand and give account for their life.
The wheat with be saved and the chaff and the thistles burned,

That is just the way it is...need a tissue?

Old 11-05-2009, 12:02 AM

6,805 posts, read 4,391,355 times
Quote:
It all about trusting God, and not just navel-gazing about all the things you could have said to someone but didnt for some reason.

Each person born has to one day stand and give account for their life.
The wheat with be saved and the chaff and the thistles burned,

That is just the way it is...need a tissue?
Chaff is referred to by commentators of the bible as the wicked but chaff is the outer covering of the grain of wheat... The wheat is refined...

Now the weeds are gathered and thrown in the fire as well and they are allowed to grow with the wheat until harvest.. Now weeds are the wicked but not the chaff.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:19 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,076,584 times
Quote:
The acts are judged as being "good" by God alone....

and they are only good if God is behind the acts and is working though the person.
That is why the acts of a Christian make the Lord smile and tell us, "Well done!"
Imagine a Muslim making these same arguments. A Christian helps an old lady across the street but it is a selfish act (not a good one) because they don't truly know Allah. Perhaps then you might get a glimpse of how absurd your argument sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity