Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:08 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

What in Hades does suffering have to do with my original post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 10:09 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
It is easy to fall into thinking that one must be perfect to be perfected...

This is a very good point Kat. Its really the other way around, God will perfect us and then we will be perfect.

The way that God is perfecting us is by putting us through all these trials. If you are still stuck in this mindset that "I have to become perfect myself", then that is one of the trials you must overcome - then you will be able to REST in God's work and "let" him take over!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:14 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
The way that God is perfecting us is by putting us through all these trials. If you are still stuck in this mindset that "I have to become perfect myself", then that is one of the trials you must overcome - then you will be able to REST in God's work and "let" him take over!
Notification of reputation, due to impact of reputable statement.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I have to end this because you are throwing opinion. I see no scripture. This has been reduced to philosophy
What are you looking for Fundy? I'm not even sure what your question is other than "Why be a Christian?"

Why do you think you should be a Christian?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
What in Hades does suffering have to do with my original post?
I could be wrong, but I think Fundy's question was: Why suffer and be a Christian if everyone is going to be saved after death.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Notification of reputation, due to impact of reputable statement.
I second that notification.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I could be wrong, but I think Fundy's question was: Why suffer and be a Christian if everyone is going to be saved after death.
The same reasoning can be used regarding the fall of man, the death of Christ, etc. It's the plan of God, and He's the boss, right?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:42 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The same reasoning can be used regarding the fall of man, the death of Christ, etc. It's the plan of God, and He's the boss, right?
Besides that: Who's to say that being saved will ever equal perfection. What is easy is believing that once you accept Christ you are instantly made perfect... Christ's perfection is imputed on us and we should strive to live up to that perfect model.. one baby step at a time. If you are perfect then you no longer need to strive for perfection..so why bother striving. And if you are expected to be perfect from the moment you accept Christ's teaching then there is a heavy burden and that is a stumbling block in reaching perfection.

Like the dog who's owner stands behind him with a stick dangling a bone on a string in front of him. The dog will never reach the bone and sooner or later gives up... that is like having to live up to perfection the moment you accept Christ's teachings... But if you accept your imperfection then you have turned around to follow the owner who holds the stick, string, and bone a real chance at reaching the bone or perfection.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Besides that: Who's to say that being saved will ever equal perfection. What is easy is believing that once you accept Christ you are instantly made perfect... Christ's perfection is imputed on us and we should strive to live up to that perfect model.. one baby step at a time. If you are perfect then you no longer need to strive for perfection..so why bother striving. And if you are expected to be perfect from the moment you accept Christ's teaching then there is a heavy burden and that is a stumbling block in reaching perfection.
I continually ask the Lord to give me patience with Christians who believe that. Again, they think the work within them is done, and rebuke everything the Lord brings to them to perfect them. The devil is never glorified so much as by a "believer".

Old 11-04-2009, 11:19 AM

303 posts, read 569,768 times
Although I know its not I wish Universalism was true because for me to want someone to go to hell is to essentially wish myself there.
If I want to see justice instead of mercy for someone I should want it for myself also.
Eusebius has an interesting point he brought up about all things being given back to the Father and here is the scripture to support it.
Although I dont believe it supports Universalism it is interesting and shows that after the millenium The Father, The Son & The Holy Spirit will rule and reign completely in our hearts and not in some worldly sense....

1ST CORINTHIANS 15
24 Then cometh the end, when He ( JESUS ) shall deliver up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have abolished all rule and all authority and power.
25 For He must reign, till he hath put all his enemies under his feet.
26 The last enemy that shall be abolished is death.
27 For, He put all things in subjection under his feet. But when he saith, All things are put in subjection, it is evident that He is excepted who did subject all things unto him.
28 And when all things have been subjected unto Him ( The Son ), then shall the Son also Himself be subjected to Him ( The Father ) that did subject all things unto Him ( The Son ) that God may be all in all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity