U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2009, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Rapid City, SD
723 posts, read 533,823 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
And you do you realize you just got through lying(breaking the one of the 10 commandments) in as many posts ... ?


First you said ...


And then you said ...


You lied about the fact that you said you would never say what you then proceeded to say ...

Your right!!! I meant to say I believe in keeping the ten commandments. I made a wording error. Lying and making a mistake are very different. Sorry to confuse you!! I also said that there are commandments I have learned to keep and some I have not, but I keep it to myself. Again, sorry to confuse you. I think most people would have understood what I meant.


GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8



GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 PM
 
988 posts, read 1,009,519 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
You may be right, but he did say that we "keep the law" in my book that means: we keep the ten commandments!!!


GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

LE reads from his own book....

HK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 4,146,408 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Your right!!! I meant to say I believe in keeping the ten commandments. I made a wording error. Lying and making a mistake are very different. Sorry to confuse you!!


GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8



Sin is a mistake(the mistake of man) my friend. In my opinion that is why we are here ... We are in this world, the valley of the shadow of death, for the opportunity of making mistakes. We never learn quite so well as when we make mistakes. Just because you dont mean to sin, doesn't mean that it is not a sin. If you even think it you have in effect done it according to Christ.

I believe in keeping the commandments also, but that doesn't mean i always do. I fall into temptation and i do not always resist as i should. So i confess my sins knowing the lord has forgiven me ... Yet as i said before, Christ fulfilled the law for us, so that all things are lawful unto us though not all things are expedient. Its a matter of faith. Also it is not only what you do that matters, it is why you do it.

For instance, one of the ten commandments is thou shalt not kill ... Some would say, that it really means thou shalt not murder ... And i would agree ... However, when God told Israel to commit genocide on the Canaanite tribes, he commanded them to break the commandment of thou shalt not murder. They not only killed the fighting men, but the old and feeble and the women and children as well, and even all their animals ... Every last one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2009, 06:28 PM
 
988 posts, read 1,009,519 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
My quote was from the Strongs concordance ... And though i certainly don't trust the Strongs on everything ... I do trust it more than i trust Vines.

But then let us look at a secular source ...

The way that you define it without the use of Vines exposition, It is synonymous with obedience. But as you see even Vines describes it as expressing itself IN obedience. They are not the same thing. You write as if love(agape) is without feeling, cold or detached ... I agree that agape in the sense of Christianity, or at least in the sense that Christian writers of the new testament used it, transcends mere affection or any particular feeling, but i do not agree that it does not effect our affections and feelings.

Or as Jesus said:

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.


John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words:

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.


HK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 4,146,408 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Or as Jesus said:

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.


John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words:

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.


HK
And what where Jesus commandments? Love God above all things, and love thy neighbor as thy self. And do not return evil for evil, and love thine enemy ...

In as much as i am able according the the law of sin and death to which i am enslaved to in my flesh(Rom 7:25), i struggle to keep the law of God(the law of liberty) in my mind. I am still struggling ... I am better in some things than i am in others. I am a work in progress ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 PM
 
Location: RI
18,894 posts, read 8,663,827 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Or as Jesus said:

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.


John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words:

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.


HK

YouTube - It's Your blood that cleanses me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
6,805 posts, read 4,521,150 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
First you say: "It is easy to keep the law. If I go through the commandments I can say that right now I am breaking none of them."

Then when I point out the Sabbath commandment you rationalize by applying the wisdom of the world to the commandment of God.

Yes - it is very easy to keep the commandments UNTIL it costs you something to obey them. It is easy to keep the Sabbath if you decide that for *you* it is acceptable to work on the Sabbath.

It is easy not to lie - until you must lie or go to jail or suffer some other severe consequence.

HK
Pleeeaaaase... step off your high horse and come down to earth. The problem with keeping the sabbath (that you ignored) that I pointed out is that if your house was on fire on the sabbath, you wouldn't refuse workers to help even though in your mind they are breaking a commandment. It is you who are the hypocrite...

Do you go shopping on the sabbath? To church? Those people are working... It doesn't cost me anything as I don't work on the sabbath.. sat & sun happen to be my weekend..LOL but that is not true for some who have less control over their schedule. You are advicating that these people leave their jobs to find work that will let them observe the sabbath then? To the possible detriment of their family? Are you seriously that hypocritical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2009, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Rapid City, SD
723 posts, read 533,823 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post


Sin is a mistake(the mistake of man) my friend. In my opinion that is why we are here ... We are in this world, the valley of the shadow of death, for the opportunity of making mistakes. We never learn quite so well as when we make mistakes. Just because you dont mean to sin, doesn't mean that it is not a sin. If you even think it you have in effect done it according to Christ.

I believe in keeping the commandments also, but that doesn't mean i always do. I fall into temptation and i do not always resist as i should. So i confess my sins knowing the lord has forgiven me ... Yet as i said before, Christ fulfilled the law for us, so that all things are lawful unto us though not all things are expedient. Its a matter of faith. Also it is not only what you do that matters, it is why you do it.

For instance, one of the ten commandments is thou shalt not kill ... Some would say, that it really means thou shalt not murder ... And i would agree ... However, when God told Israel to commit genocide on the Canaanite tribes, he commanded them to break the commandment of thou shalt not murder. They not only killed the fighting men, but the old and feeble and the women and children as well, and even all their animals ... Every last one.

I don't believe that. I don't kill someone by mistake. I don't lie by mistake. The opportunity arises for me to kill someone and I make the descision wether to kill or not to kill. The opportunity arises for me to lie and I make the decision to lie or not to lie. Have you ever accidentally commited murder??? I haven't. Please!!! Could you explain to me how one can sin by mistake or accidentally sin. I don't understand how it is done, or should I say how it is possible.



GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2009, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
6,805 posts, read 4,521,150 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Right!! But, you are an adult correct??? When you go visit your parents for a week would you or would you not abide by their rules while you are there??? I would, by my love and respect for them, but because I love and respect them does not make my shoes come off when I walk in. I have to do that myself. Not neccesarily hard to do, but my love for them makes me work to show my love and appreciation to them. Before I moved out I used to have to take the garbage out. Now when I visit, I do it anyway, because I love them. So I work to prove my love to them. I don't work to prove it to my neighbor, but to them!!!


GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8
You are missing the point I think... Just doing chores and taking off your shoes doesn't show love by itself. They could hire someone to do the chores and I bet everyone takes their shoes off because that is the rule... but those don't show love.. They know you love them by the totality of your behavior, your words.. etc.

To be given God's love is not the reward upon doing what he commands.. do your parents only give you love because you take your shoes off? No.. Would they stop loving you if you turned to drugs or something? No..
God's love is the foundation of the commandments not the reward for doing them. You do them because they hang on God's love for you. God's love is the added bonus of a good and wholesome life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2009, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Rapid City, SD
723 posts, read 533,823 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
You are missing the point I think... Just doing chores and taking off your shoes doesn't show love by itself. They could hire someone to do the chores and I bet everyone takes their shoes off because that is the rule... but those don't show love.. They know you love them by the totality of your behavior, your words.. etc.

To be given God's love is not the reward upon doing what he commands.. do your parents only give you love because you take your shoes off? No.. Would they stop loving you if you turned to drugs or something? No..
God's love is the foundation of the commandments not the reward for doing them. You do them because they hang on God's love for you. God's love is the added bonus of a good and wholesome life.

No kat, I totally get your point. I'm just not buying it. Believe me, it all sounds good and super. But how about if you were to get the death penalty for whatever reason. Would your parents stop loving you because your going to die or did wrong??? No, but would you also be released because they love you?? No. Just because you are scheduled for death does not mean that God doesn't love you!!! Would your Mother or Father still accept you into their home if you murdered your whole family in their sleep except that one person because they happened to not be home??? I wouldn't want to be next. So I definately would not. But believe me I would still and always would love my children!!!!!


GOD BLESS KAT!!!
ALMOST2L8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:08 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top