Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:19 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,980,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
If Haggard truly believed in the true God why was He with homosexual prostitutes and taking Crystal meth on a weekly basis- This man was swimming in sin-embracing it and coming on the pulpit to preach every week?
King David slept with another man's wife and had the man killed and was still called a "man after god's own heart." He supposedly 'truly believed in the true god' too, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:45 PM

154 posts, read 275,370 times
I'm no christian...... but a sin is a sin. His just were put out there for all the world to see. Why is it, that he can't repent? Is not forgiveness a true Christian trait? If he states he has repented and is leading a life to show he is now trying why not allow him to? Why is it that some are so much more holy than thou?
I am sure being in the position he was he left a bad taste in many Christians mouths but honestly who is ANYONE to judge his sins? He is no better or worse than any one of us... At the end of the day isn't forgiveness all anyone seeks regardless of background or standing? I may not agree with things he has done but I do not stand in judgement of him! I'm just glad some of things in my past are well left there and not made public news..... just saying.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 PM

303 posts, read 568,443 times
psalm25 I agree with you but the pattern of most of these guys is to give a public confession so they can go back to swindling people out of money because they are really very worldly and addicted to the good life.....

Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
If Haggard truly believed in the true God why was He with homosexual prostitutes and taking Crystal meth on a weekly basis- This man was swimming in sin-embracing it and coming on the pulpit to preach every week?

Yes! of course He does! He was a "shepherd" not only does he owe an explaination to Christians but unbelievers as well.

I asked has anyone heard him say those words, Larry King, Oprah, articles etc..... I would love to read it. "I have sinned and I repent"

Here ya go.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlKJSoj1LRs

Old 11-09-2009, 08:14 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,142,501 times
Quote:

Yes! of course He does! He was a "shepherd" not only does he owe an explaination to Christians but unbelievers as well.

I asked has anyone heard him say those words, Larry King, Oprah, articles etc..... I would love to read it. "I have sinned and I repent"
You need to watch this video and listen to what the closest person in his life who would or could be effected the most by what he had done has to say.
It's truely is amazing how you keep accusing others of being judgemental truely amazing.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,776,962 times
Quote:
Where's your faith in the transforming power of the holy spirit?
In the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit doesn't force us to do anything. I didn't watch that video, but based upon what I have heard about him, I wouldn't want anything to do with him.

My faith certainly doesn't reside in Haggard.

If he has actually repented from his lying and hypocrisy, then more power to him. I haven't watched any interviews with him. But I think the level of pretense, and the amount of time it went on, would require a calculated level of deceit that wouldn't come naturally to a Christian.

But I'm not his judge, the Lord is.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:04 PM

My thing is live what you believe....
I don't condone... I dont agree with his past.... but what I'm saying is how are you (meaning anyone) any different than he...
A sin is a sin is a sin..... all sins are equal they are against G-d... So when you speed, when you over eat, when you stretch the truth even just a tad, when you get act in anger or even lean toward being selfish, when you mumble evil words underbreath, when you keep a cool ink pen you found cause you think its cool even though its not yours... etc etc etc etc etc etc..... ITS no different. WHY is he lower than anything anyone else has done...and yet their a better christain... ? There is NO such thing! EVERY Christian is equal, ALL walk, stumble fall and get up...... even those who aren't Christian.

No one is so secure that they never fall, no one even those who are believers are above avoiding the pits and choices we sometimes make even when we know they are wrong and just cause your a christian doesn't make you perfect or above sinning anymore..... Sorry to burst your bubble but its gonna happen so long as you breath..... even the little things you do that you know are wrong in secret they still count ..... THEY ARE THE SAME in G-ds eyes.

I'm just saying..... You (meaning anyone) can't point a finger cause all you have is three pointing back at you. Just think about it is all I'm saying....

Last edited by psalm25; 11-09-2009 at 11:15 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 12:27 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,980,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
My faith certainly doesn't reside in Haggard.
Never said it was. I asked if you have faith in the transforming power of the holy spirit.

So, if he showed up at your church to serve god, you still would have nothing to do with him? Would not both of you be works in progress, "sinners save dby grace," "the lord is not finished with me yet" types?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,485,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You need to watch this video and listen to what the closest person in his life who would or could be effected the most by what he had done has to say.
It's truely is amazing how you keep accusing others of being judgemental truely amazing.
That woman is truly amazing.. he seems genuine and humble now.. whereas if you watched him before .. not so much. I think we all fall into the trap of thinking we would never do something like that. Perhaps we never would but the capacity for sexual immorality is there..

Anyway, after the video I think I like him more now than when he was preaching.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:51 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,142,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
That woman is truly amazing.. he seems genuine and humble now.. whereas if you watched him before .. not so much. I think we all fall into the trap of thinking we would never do something like that. Perhaps we never would but the capacity for sexual immorality is there..

Anyway, after the video I think I like him more now than when he was preaching.
Yes it was an amazing testimony of the goodness,forgiveness,grace,love and the restoring healing power of our God.

14 David said to Gad, "I am in deep distress. Let us fall into the hands of the LORD, for his mercy is great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men." 2 Samuel 24 verse 14
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity