Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:58 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times

Advertisements

What does it matter if the man was an illegal alien, a homeless person or anyone you meet who seems to be extremely needy?

If you want to help a fellow human just do it..If you have to think about it maybe your heart isn't in it anyway.

We should not have to weigh all the possibilities of what is or isn't in it for ourselves..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:37 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
What does it matter if the man was an illegal alien, a homeless person or anyone you meet who seems to be extremely needy?

If you want to help a fellow human just do it..If you have to think about it maybe your heart isn't in it anyway.

We should not have to weigh all the possibilities of what is or isn't in it for ourselves..
It's not like that It's just that America is a complex country and I have a paranoia problem. I don't even run over orange light, coz I pretty much don't wannabe pulled over by a cop, except if it's a gorgeous "she", and she lets me go in a romantic manner (it's not gonna happen). It's not a country where Dad's gonna come over, use his power influences, and get sonny out of trouble. He's done that for me in the past, back home.

I never had doubts in such cases, all my life until now for the above said reason. For example, I used to go to college and I briefly stayed in a hostel. I was around 18 and my parents would give me a specific sum each week to run over my expenses. It was tuesday and I was out somewhere and I saw a family standing on the road, by the side. This country is so full of poverty, it still is They came to the city for construction work and that day's wage would help them get food, or something else. They had queued up for 2-3 days and the labourers were so many that the dad and sons didn't get their tokens (the token collecting act is the most brutal sight of humanity, they would hurl tokens into the crowd and there is a stampede to pick it, I heard the practice is still in place, despite being outlawed). I saw hunger in their eyes. I pulled my wallet out and did away with all my money for the rest of the week. I told them to eat, get a bus and get back to their village.

I walked my way to the room and didn't have money to eat. I was planning to get by with my hostel mates. I picked some biscuits lying around and lounging. Around eight, my parents showed up out of the blue. They never gave me an answer as to what reason they showed up all of a sudden. They simply had a random thought to come check me out as to how I was living alone. My Dad would have gone bonkers. I didn't even tell my mom, she secretly found her moment and shoved a bunch of hundred rupee bills in my back pocket. Dad then had the three of us in a good restaurant and I never told them what happened that night, until years later.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:42 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,521,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's not like that It's just that America is a complex country and I have a paranoia problem. I don't even run over orange light, coz I pretty much don't wannabe pulled over by a cop, except if it's a gorgeous "she", and she lets me go in a romantic manner (it's not gonna happen). It's not a country where Dad's gonna come over, use his power influences, and get sonny out of trouble. He's done that for me in the past, back home.

I never had doubts in such cases, all my life until now for the above said reason. For example, I used to go to college and I briefly stayed in a hostel. I was around 18 and my parents would give me a specific sum each week to run over my expenses. It was tuesday and I was out somewhere and I saw a family standing on the road, by the side. This country is so full of poverty, it still is They came to the city for construction work and that day's wage would help them get food, or something else. They had queued up for 2-3 days and the labourers were so many that the dad and sons didn't get their tokens (the token collecting act is the most brutal sight of humanity, they would hurl tokens into the crowd and there is a stampede to pick it, I heard the practice is still in place, despite being outlawed). I saw hunger in their eyes. I pulled my wallet out and did away with all my money for the rest of the week. I told them to eat, get a bus and get back to their village.

I walked my way to the room and didn't have money to eat. I was planning to get by with my hostel mates. I picked some biscuits lying around and lounging. Around eight, my parents showed up out of the blue. They never gave me an answer as to what reason they showed up all of a sudden. They simply had a random thought to come check me out as to how I was living alone. My Dad would have gone bonkers. I didn't even tell my mom, she secretly found her moment and shoved a bunch of hundred rupee bills in my back pocket. Dad then had the three of us in a good restaurant and I never told them what happened that night, until years later.
Just goes to show that you have a heart for giving!

Old 11-13-2009, 11:34 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Just goes to show that you have a heart for giving!
As much as it's a good habit, the suffering shakes my faith at times. But the feeling gets fickle with time and I'm back in the church. Life of a ritual catholic

I sought the services of a local guy, a second generation hispanic person. He's catholic too. He knew the ins and outs of people who help such people. So, we found the guy, he was there, working again. They spoke in spanish and I gave him cash. So, there are doctors out there. My friend drove him to the doctor for this man uses the bus. At least that gives me some comfort the money will indeed go to the doc and not get funnelled into alcohol or drugs, if it indeed were a drug fracas by some remote chance.

Thanks for all the thoughts, folks. I'll probably have to have Juno lock this one up and send it to the backpages.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:46 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,268,016 times
Quote:

At least that gives me some comfort the money will indeed go to the doc and not get funnelled into alcohol or drugs, if it indeed were a drug fracas by some remote chance.
"Juno" is very proud of you, and applauds your heart!....

Old 11-20-2009, 07:52 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,556,955 times
Quote:

That is a beautiful story. I always feel that it's not even my job to judge someone I feel moved to give to. My giving is between me and God, and what that needy person does with the money is between him and God.
And I belive God works in the way your story went -- you gave your all, without concern for yourself, and that evening you were blessed and fed.
I love that story...thank you for sharing.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:53 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,556,955 times
Quote:
As much as it's a good habit, the suffering shakes my faith at times. But the feeling gets fickle with time and I'm back in the church. Life of a ritual catholic

I sought the services of a local guy, a second generation hispanic person. He's catholic too. He knew the ins and outs of people who help such people. So, we found the guy, he was there, working again. They spoke in spanish and I gave him cash. So, there are doctors out there. My friend drove him to the doctor for this man uses the bus. At least that gives me some comfort the money will indeed go to the doc and not get funnelled into alcohol or drugs, if it indeed were a drug fracas by some remote chance.

Thanks for all the thoughts, folks. I'll probably have to have Juno lock this one up and send it to the backpages.
Thanks for posting what happened...I'm so glad I came to this thread...I'm a liberal follower of Jesus, and I can get pretty beat up sometimes in these threads! LOL Thanks again for sharing about this.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:09 PM

147 posts, read 329,579 times
Quote:

This is a prime example of God blessing you because you blessed someone else. I honestly believe if you help this man with his medical expenses you will, again, be blessed for blessing him.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:19 AM

478 posts, read 772,841 times
Quote:
I came across a hate crime victim tonight.

He's a poor 30-something guy who makes his living cleaning in several places. He was beaten up so bad that there's bleeding in the white part of his eyes, and his face was pretty disfigured and I saw him back to his cleaning chore to make whatever amount he needs to make tonight.

And he's an illegal immigrant. And in all my time here, I have overheard people, even devout christians, filled with unfathomable hatred for these folks. They even joke about how these guys deserve to die in the deserts/ dry wastelands across the US border, as they try to infiltrate.

He does not speak a lot of english. I had another cleaner who speaks struggling english translate and he obviously does not have insurance and his med expenses would be higher than usual.

Quite disturbing
Well of course that is a tragic story. Any time another human being is hurt, by the hands of another, it is horrible and unjustifiable. And irregardless of whether said person has a legal right to live here or not, it isn't the right of a citizen here to hurt them, whether or not he is right in thinking that person "belongs" here or not; the reason they are here to begin with is because our government is being completely irresponsible and ALLOWING these people to come here, and stay, illegally. Something that I am COMPLETELY against, because these people use our school systems, our medical facilities etc., and don't help pay for them out of their income like we do, because they work illegally and don't pay taxes like we do. Now I know that these people are just trying to make a better life for themselves and their families, but honestly- please think about this- those people are knowingly cheating and doing something completely dishonest- pretty much stealing from honest, hard working Americans for their own personal benefit. So while they may not deserve any physical abuse or inhumane treatment, they as well don't deserve anything other than a quick deportation back to wherever from they came, until they can enter and join our country legally. At which time, welcome home. I do have to add, though, that it isn't so much the immigrants that should be punished so much as the corrupt employers who are willing to pay them (unfairly UNDERpay them, typically) which lures them here to begin with. Said employers should be HEAVILY fined/punished. If people put their money where their mouth is and stopped paying immigrants under the table, they would only come here if they could do so legally. That still wouldn't erase the problem with hatred and racism that many Americans sadly have, which I think was likely one of the main reasons for your post- I just couldn't help but elaborate a bit on the topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity