Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:25 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times

Advertisements

I have heard several people on this forum refer to being filled with Christ...

What is that? Are some people confused or what?

Seems like they are saying that the Spirit filled Christ and Christ fills people with himself... that isn't how it went in the bible..

Anyone know what this means and how it is found in scripture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I have heard several people on this forum refer to being filled with Christ...

What is that? Are some people confused or what?

Seems like they are saying that the Spirit filled Christ and Christ fills people with himself... that isn't how it went in the bible..

Well I must admit that you have said "that isn't how it went in the bible"
sounds like you already have your answer .
In other words it doesn't sound like you can find scripture to support this
I may add that I often refer to being filled with the Holy Spirit, which is whom Christ promised to send as a Comforter, Advocate and many other things
in His absence while He is absent from us.
This is my belief....
God Bless You

Old 11-02-2009, 08:52 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Perhaps they are thinking of Ephesians.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Well I must admit that you have said "that isn't how it went in the bible"
sounds like you already have your answer .
In other words it doesn't sound like you can find scripture to support this
I may add that I often refer to being filled with the Holy Spirit, which is whom Christ promised to send as a Comforter, Advocate and many other things
in His absence while He is absent from us.
This is my belief....
God Bless You
I should have clarified that, I suppose, by saying that I hadn't found it in the bible... or to my knowledge.. or even added can you show me how that can be...

Either way seems weird.. filled with Christ..

filled with the Holy Spirit makes sense according to scripture.. to me...

Old 11-03-2009, 04:07 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
We are born of flesh, and that flesh must die in order for the new Man (Christ) to take full residence within us (I Cor 15:36). This process is not immediate, as Jesus commanded us to take up our cross and Paul further expounded on the struggle as the flesh is put down.

We can easily see that - no matter your terminology - it's His nature that is to take over where our carnal nature once thrived. The goal is to be whole, pure, perfect (Mat 5:48), meaning without mixture.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
We are born of flesh, and that flesh must die in order for the new Man (Christ) to take full residence within us (I Cor 15:36). This process is not immediate, as Jesus commanded us to take up our cross and Paul further expounded on the struggle as the flesh is put down.

We can easily see that - no matter your terminology - it's His nature that is to take over where our carnal nature once thrived. The goal is to be whole, pure, perfect (Mat 5:48), meaning without mixture.
My understanding is that there is no perfection... without the Holy Spirit.. so aren't we filled with the Holy Spirit not Christ?

It seems to me that the roles of Christ compared to God are well defined but when it comes to the Holy Spirit compared to Christ their roles get all mixed up.

Can any trinitarians give me what the Holy Spirit does versus Christ?

Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,046 times
Quote:
My understanding is that there is no perfection... without the Holy Spirit.. so aren't we filled with the Holy Spirit not Christ?

It seems to me that the roles of Christ compared to God are well defined but when it comes to the Holy Spirit compared to Christ their roles get all mixed up.

Can any trinitarians give me what the Holy Spirit does versus Christ?
The Holy Spirit is the power behind the Word of God. God creates by a thought...speaks it through His Word, Jesus, Who is God's Word manifested in the flesh, and given power by the Holy Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit...there is no power to God's Word. This power is what enables the sinner to overcome sin in their lives...without it, there is no hope of overcoming sin in one's life.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:09 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,480 times
Quote:

we are filled with the HS. and as he is here to support the mission of Christ, it means in effect to be filled with Christ.

What Does it Mean to be Filled with the Holy Spirit? :: Campus Crusade for Christ International

What does it means to be filled with Christ?
Thats an easy question to answer.

Think of yourself and your life as being a box.
The box is 'filled" to the top with Christ.

In other words, Christ lives in your life.
Your life is completely filled with Christ-like concerns.

all that do do, all that you think about, every step you take, every thought you have, is due to being filled with Christ.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Quote:
I should have clarified that, I suppose, by saying that I hadn't found it in the bible... or to my knowledge.. or even added can you show me how that can be...

Either way seems weird.. filled with Christ..

filled with the Holy Spirit makes sense according to scripture.. to me...
Quote:
Rev 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Rom 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Phl 1:19-20
For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.

1Pe 1:11
Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
The spirit of God and the spirit of Christ are one and the same. So does the spirit of Christ enter into us and make us one with God, that God might be all in all in the fullness of times.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 11-03-2009 at 09:30 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
we are filled with the HS. and as he is here to support the mission of Christ, it means in effect to be filled with Christ.

What Does it Mean to be Filled with the Holy Spirit? :: Campus Crusade for Christ International

What does it means to be filled with Christ?
Thats an easy question to answer.

Think of yourself and your life as being a box.
The box is 'filled" to the top with Christ.

In other words, Christ lives in your life.
Your life is completely filled with Christ-like concerns.

all that do do, all that you think about, every step you take, every thought you have, is due to being filled with Christ.
Didn't you just replace Christ with the holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit with Christ.. take this excerpt from the website you posted for example:

"To be filled with the Holy Spirit is to be filled with Christ. The Holy Spirit came to glorify Christ. Therefore, if I am filled with the Spirit, I am abiding in Christ."

On one hand he says "filled with Christ" then says "abiding in Christ" which is it?

The box is filled up with Christ or the box is in Christ...

See where trinitarians don't have a set role for the Holy Spirit compared to the role of Christ.. it's like they read Christ and think Holy Spirit.. aren't they supposed to be two separate personalities with two different roles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity