Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The whole book or what? I see the passages in 1 John 2 about the antichrist but all those mentioned (JW's, Mormons, and Muslims.. I'll add URers to to keep within the topic) all believe that Jesus is the son of God and was sent by the Father... so I don't get what you mean by 1 John...

What part of their belief makes you suppose they worship another god? and furthermore do you believe there are other gods to worship?
Bible is clear that if you don't have the Son then you don't have the Father.

Mormons believe God impregnated Mary, that Jesus is the brother of the devil

JW believe Jesus is not God but Michael the arch angel and that we shouldn't worship Jesus but didn't Jesus say, I am the way.....so how can you get to the Father without going through Jesus

Does that sound like the same God we worship to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 AM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Camps decides to delete than rather than submit

Old 11-11-2009, 11:40 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Bible is clear that if you don't have the Son then you don't have the Father.

Mormons believe God impregnated Mary, that Jesus is the brother of the devil

JW believe Jesus is not God but Michael the arch angel and that we shouldn't worship Jesus but didn't Jesus say, I am the way.....so how can you get to the Father without going through Jesus

Does that sound like the same God we worship to you?
I think of it this way.. Jesus is the way no matter what you believe about how one gets to the way.. Take a look at the parable of the sheep...John 10:1 "I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber."

In this parable.. Jesus is the true shepherd.. a man. Jesus is saying that he has sheep... symbols for the people he is saving. if a man does not enter by the gate. the man is not a sheep but is representing a false shepherd. All the sheep have no choice but to enter through the gate as they cannot climb over. Also if you look at it that way, then the parable about the shepherd who goes looking for the 1 sheep that is lost also grabs the one who can't find his way taking him into the fold through the gate..

So whether they believe that Christ is not to be worshiped or whether he is an angel.. that does not affect God or Christ in anyway.. All gods are God.. you can be deceived about what God's nature is but God is still God above all Gods. They still worship God and not Baal or something.

Also don't trinitarians believe that God impregnated Mary?

Old 11-11-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I think of it this way.. Jesus is the way no matter what you believe about how one gets to the way..
I never said, it affected God or Christ. I said, our views of God are different therefore we don't worship the same God. How can you appreciate Christ if you can't appreciate His sacrifice on the cross? how does downgrading Him to an angel give Him the glory?

Well that is your belief based on scripture as I have given you my belief based on scripture but there is one truth.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:58 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
1st John is a very short letter. it is the same discourse..and needs to be read as a whole to grasp it properly. As with any discourse in the Bible...it cannot be broken up.

Fundy...lack of spiritual discernment.....I agree.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
1st John is a very short letter. it is the same discourse..and needs to be read as a whole to grasp it properly.
Yes sorry I didn't make that clear, you are quite right. All of 1st John

Old 11-11-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
1st John is a very short letter. it is the same discourse..and needs to be read as a whole to grasp it properly. As with any discourse in the Bible...it cannot be broken up.

Fundy...lack of spiritual discernment.....I agree.
Again you didn't answer my question.. You say that God is not God even though they call him God and even agree it is the God of Abraham. How is in not the same God you worship simply because other beliefs differ?

Did the God of Abraham say that you must believe in certain aspect of me in order to be worshipping me... Did God require you to use a specific name when addressing him?? I read the whole of 1 John.. Yet I don't see where you are coming from. You can call that lack of spiritual discernment if you want but the question still remains.. If the God they worship IS in fact according to the God you worship.. the same God.. then wouldn't you be blasphemous in saying their God isn't the same one YOU worship... Do you presume to have ownership in worshipping God?

For example... say God is in heaven (or wherever) and he hears a prayer to God from a JW and accepts that prayer as directed toward him.. then wouldn't you be wrong in assuming that their God is not your God? In fact, wouldn't you be saying that you are in charge of who God is and what someone must believe about God?

God is God.. there is no other. Therefore, even in ignorance, if anyone prays to a higher power, Allah, god of the sun..etc. It is God who chooses whether to accept that in reference to himself, not men.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Again you didn't answer my question.. You say that God is not God even though they call him God and even agree it is the God of Abraham. How is in not the same God you worship simply because other beliefs differ?

Did the God of Abraham say that you must believe in certain aspect of me in order to be worshipping me...
Isn't the bible clear that we believe in the ressurection yet Muslims do not believe in a ressurection?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Isn't the bible clear that we believe in the ressurection yet Muslims do not believe in a ressurection?
Again.. God is God. If God accepts their prayers to him then it is the same God that accepts your prayers.. there is no other God. If what you think is true then you are saying you know what God accepts as being said to him. Yet you cannot say that as many believers prayers are not answered either so you cannot say one way or the other. The Jews don't believe Christ was the messiah (except messianic Jews of course) so do they also worship a different God?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:26 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
The whole book or what? I see the passages in 1 John 2 about the antichrist but all those mentioned (JW's, Mormons, and Muslims.. I'll add URers to to keep within the topic) all believe that Jesus is the son of God and was sent by the Father... so I don't get what you mean by 1 John...

What part of their belief makes you suppose they worship another god? and furthermore do you believe there are other gods to worship?
This is indeed the mistake made by all the "believe in God the way that I DO" fundamentalists, literalists, and various CHURCHians. There is ONLY ONE GOD . . . and there is ONLY ONE state of mind that will be compatible with God . . ."love of God and each other." 1 John 1:5 (King James Version)

5This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all.

If you have any "darkness" in you . . . jealousy, wrath, hate, vengeance, anger, lust, greed, etc. . . . you need to be concerned . . whatever you believe about the ONLY God there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity