U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: .
Once a week 9 21.43%
More than once a week 13 30.95%
Every other week 1 2.38%
Once a month 1 2.38%
Every 2 or more months 1 2.38%
Seldom 5 11.90%
Never 10 23.81%
Not sure 0 0%
It varies 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 11-11-2009, 10:29 AM
 
292 posts, read 459,812 times
Reputation: 232

Advertisements

I hardly ever go, just on Easter, Palm Sunday, and sometimes Christmas. But I'd like to start going weekly again.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2009, 10:31 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,446,997 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
I hardly ever go, just on Easter, Palm Sunday, and sometimes Christmas. But I'd like to start going weekly again.
Wekkly....I am curious.....why?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 10:36 AM
 
921 posts, read 954,749 times
Reputation: 1599
I go to church every Sunday for service, Tuesday nights for bible study, & all holidays like Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, Palm Sunday, & Easter.

Certain month's throughout the year we have what is called a "Revival".
This is when we go to church during the weekdays for 3 scheduled nights in a row.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Illinois
3,168 posts, read 4,153,023 times
Reputation: 5580
Not very often. I believe it is possible to establish a relationship with God without being in a physical building. I have found that my relationship with Him feels much more intimate and genuine when I don't go to "church".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 24,673,685 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Not very often. I believe it is possible to establish a relationship with God without being in a physical building. I have found that my relationship with Him feels much more intimate and genuine when I don't go to "church".
Heard this first when I was 6 or something. Am continuing to hear this
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 24,673,685 times
Reputation: 11309
Church is Tony's second most haunted place after the gym. Restaurants will come third.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,383,615 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Church is Tony's second most haunted place after the gym. Restaurants will come third.
I don't attend church for the same reason I don't go to the movie theater.. it's cheaper to stay home..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 24,673,685 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I don't attend church for the same reason I don't go to the movie theater.. it's cheaper to stay home..
But I never spend any money at the church

Many a time I simply pass the money basket, though once in a while I put in a few bucks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,383,615 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
But I never spend any money at the church

Many a time I simply pass the money basket, though once in a while I put in a few bucks.
Just a play on how expensive it is to go to a movie and the tithe requirements in some churches.. I should have used the sarcastic face I guess.

there ya go.

I never attend church now. I made that decision when my kids were little (I had three children in three years) and it was a battle to get them all ready for church.. besides the fact that the church wanted us to tithe when we were so poor it was foolish to do so. My husband and I fought because of the stress so many times that it was in our best interest to not attend..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 24,673,685 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Just a play on how expensive it is to go to a movie and the tithe requirements in some churches.. I should have used the sarcastic face I guess.

there ya go.

I never attend church now. I made that decision when my kids were little (I had three children in three years) and it was a battle to get them all ready for church.. besides the fact that the church wanted us to tithe when we were so poor it was foolish to do so. My husband and I fought because of the stress so many times that it was in our best interest to not attend..
There is a request to tithe in my church too and many parishioners happily signed up or did it for mere obligation. On the other hand, many don't bother.

The priest does yap about it every sunday.

Yet I have never signed up. Ever since my kiddo years, there's always a basket that goes around and people put in money when they like or however that works. There is no coercion whatsoever.

But my father was a constant donor for the church, of his own accord. I have inherited that habit too. In my mind, it's all voluntary. I feel no financial pressure going to church. It's like a walk in the park for me. Maybe non-catholic churches work differently

All these tithing tales scare me. I don't know how some pastor can coerce people into tithing
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top