U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
6,805 posts, read 4,829,444 times
Reputation: 496

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Before going into those issues (for just a moment ), I'm curious if in-fact it is possible for God to give any of his attributes (that are as limitless as He), such as "all authority", to some one that does not have equal ability to contain it. Is this possible?
What is authority? Power assigned to another; authorization. So if you take the example that policemen have the authority to arrest people.. but yet they are not the law that convicts.. then yes Jesus had the authorization from God to do his will... It is God who ultimately does the work but Jesus is given the power to discern what is needed. So that if Jesus needed a fig tree to wither to show the disciples a truth.. then God withers the fig tree. If Moses needed water to burst from a rock to increase the faith of the people then God causes the water to burst from the rock..

I think you are thinking of authority as the power itself and I think of the authority as the power to discern what is needed to accomplish God's will. Jesus did not raise the dead.. God raised the dead when Jesus needed it done for a purpose equal to the will of God. Had Jesus commanded that the stones be made into money.. would he have been able to? If he was God then yes he could have but if God was the one doing the deed then no because there is no reason to make a stone into money..

Now I probably babbled too much and lost the meaning somewhere in there but I think you err in equating power with authority. I believe that God gave Jesus the ability to call on God at any time. You seem to believe that Jesus did these things on his own and therefore had to be God. Right?

Oops.. I think I confused myself.. It is getting late and I should really be in bed. I will talk more tomorrow.. Have a blessed night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2009, 01:13 AM
 
2,526 posts, read 1,387,442 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
What is authority? Power assigned to another; authorization. So if you take the example that policemen have the authority to arrest people.. but yet they are not the law that convicts.. then yes Jesus had the authorization from God to do his will... It is God who ultimately does the work but Jesus is given the power to discern what is needed. So that if Jesus needed a fig tree to wither to show the disciples a truth.. then God withers the fig tree. If Moses needed water to burst from a rock to increase the faith of the people then God causes the water to burst from the rock..

I think you are thinking of authority as the power itself and I think of the authority as the power to discern what is needed to accomplish God's will. Jesus did not raise the dead.. God raised the dead when Jesus needed it done for a purpose equal to the will of God. Had Jesus commanded that the stones be made into money.. would he have been able to? If he was God then yes he could have but if God was the one doing the deed then no because there is no reason to make a stone into money..

Now I probably babbled too much and lost the meaning somewhere in there but I think you err in equating power with authority. I believe that God gave Jesus the ability to call on God at any time. You seem to believe that Jesus did these things on his own and therefore had to be God. Right?

Oops.. I think I confused myself.. It is getting late and I should really be in bed. I will talk more tomorrow.. Have a blessed night.
You too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 01:02 PM
 
10,764 posts, read 5,208,354 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post

Little bits at a time for you children of the Word....it appears you are still only drinking milk....I have plenty in the fridge.
Moderator cut: insult

BTW, exegeisthai, does not mean "to interpret," as you wrongly suggest.
G1329
διερμηνεύω
diermēneuō
dee-er-main-yoo'-o
From G1223 and G2059; to explain thoroughly; by implication to translate: - expound, interpret (-ation).
Strong's Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-17-2009 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 01:16 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,298 times
Reputation: 10
Default Just be good and follow the 10 commandments

I am so glad I am not into all of this...it seems so simple..da follow the 10
and be good to thy neighbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,214 posts, read 3,335,042 times
Reputation: 402
Exegete is from Greek exegetes, from the verb exegeisthai, "to interpret," and is related to exegesis.

Therefore....to exegete is a word, whether people want to accept it or not.

I can speak Greek from now on if people would like, but then again, the English language would be imported into it as well....alas.

Exegete - a noun and a verb.
Exegesis - the practice of interpretation.
Exegete - One who interprets
to Exegete - To interpret.

Those who need a little help to begin with, can start here:

Enjoying God Ministries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 06:37 PM
 
10,764 posts, read 5,208,354 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Exegete is from Greek exegetes, from the verb exegeisthai, "to interpret," and is related to exegesis.

Therefore....to exegete is a word, whether people want to accept it or not.

I can speak Greek from now on if people would like, but then again, the English language would be imported into it as well....alas.

Exegete - a noun and a verb.
Exegesis - the practice of interpretation.
Exegete - One who interprets
to Exegete - To interpret.

Exactly where in the Bible is exegeisthai, translated the way you say it means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,214 posts, read 3,335,042 times
Reputation: 402
Believing that Christ is God........for salvation....


1 John 5
John 1
John 8
Collosians 2
1 John 4


Study hard and enjoy the Word!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 06:55 PM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 6,369,582 times
Reputation: 58122
And because you speak 5 languages makes you an all knowing expert?? Where's the Holy Spirit in this "intellectual" superior attitude? Exactly. Just because you think you are more intelligent than everyone else in the entire world does not mean you're right...actually, you're WAY wrong. Preterism is just another false doctrine just like Universalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 06:57 PM
 
9,502 posts, read 5,163,121 times
Reputation: 1038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Preterism is just another false doctrine just like Universalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 4,022,012 times
Reputation: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top