Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:53 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
It's more like Bless-phemy

But I guess I should let Jon Foreman know (when I see Switchfoot this Wednesday) that he's really just a pawn of the devil.

Check Jon's solo work here:

Google
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 03:06 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
There's your hint as to what's wrong with it. As an old head banger myself, I can tell you it's full of talented musicians and it sounds good - but it feeds on the carnal man within, rather than feeding the spirit. That rhythm that gets you swaying, and feel better? That's the enemy of your soul.
Whoa little elmer . . . music appeals to both aspects of our nature and can be one way to reconcile them into harmony with God. Of course . . . if your soul loses control . . . all bets are off (as under the influence). It is our controlled animal nature that creates the proper "soul music." Music requires BOTH rhythm and melody/lyrics . . . just as our "soul music" requires "feelings and thoughts."

The phenomenon of music and its diversity of character and appeal is readily understood once this basic composition of the human psyche is fully understood. The amount and kind of rhythm and melody that is present determines the character of music. Music appeals to both facets of the human psychic makeup. This becomes clearer when you consider that rhythm and melody occur at separate ends of the sound spectrum. The rhythm or beat appeals to our animal nature. Our animal nature is in the low frequency range of solid matter. The purest form of rhythm, the low frequency sound of savage drum beats, represents a predominance of animal appeal.

Our soul is in the high frequency range of energy. Since our soul represents an accelerated state of energy or wave frequency compared to our animal nature, it follows that higher frequency sounds would be more compatible with our soul than with our animal nature. Furthermore, consciousness can more readily detect and appreciate the altered sequencing of harmonious sounds which is melody and can understand lyrics. The soft, euphonic, high frequency strains of a Stradivarius violin in the hands of a master, would represent a predominance of soul appeal.

The mixture of soul and animal that comprises our consciousness at any one time determines our preference in music at that time. The admixture determines the "resultant frequency" of our consciousness and subsequently determines its compatibility with various mixtures of melody and rhythm in music. That is why for most of us our taste in music is a fluid thing, highly dependent upon our mood or the circumstances we are in. This is further support for the notion that our consciousness is like the "music" played by our soul and animal nature. When our animal nature is in charge, we prefer more rhythmic music. When our soul is in charge, we want more refined music. Our task is to seek a compromise that merges and elevates both aspects in "love of God and each other."

Gospel music can have tremendous soul-stirring power when it successfully merges strong rhythmic appeal with melodic and lyrical expressions of the strongest yearnings of our soul. It is another indication that controlling our animal nature and merging its emotions and prompting with our soul can yield some of the best and most joyous accomplishments of humankind.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:15 PM

478 posts, read 773,397 times
Quote:
Sometimes you have to step out of something before you can understand what it was you were in.

The issue is your heart, and where it's directed. You say that music takes you closer to "god" - what "god" is it? The One that gave His life for you and instructed you to do the same for Him, or one that wants you to have a good time 'cause it's cool and doesn't hurt anybody?
Well, my answer is neither. There is no god that gave his live for me; god is not a living being as you describe- unless you mean Jesus? Jesus is NOT god but, in my belief, the son thereof. And Jesus, the son of god, did NOT give his life for me, nor for anyone else- he was killed because a bunch of *******s hated him, misunderstood him, and decided that he should be put to death for the supposed treacherous, and blasphemous things he spoke of and taught- basically, they saw him as a threat and were afraid of him. And Jesus was VERY against his own crucifiction- do not think for a second that he willingly gave his life for anyone- read the bible! He was NOT happy to be where he was, but he did say a bunch of stuff (AFTER crying out to his father/god) and for some reason everyone just went with that and ran...Ack! Anyway back the the next part of your query- me wanting one that wants you to have a good time 'cause it's cool and doesn't hurt anybody? Well- I guess if you see "gods" in different forms (I thought there was just one) then given the choice, I'd go with that one based on the good time and cool thing...why would I not, when you put it that way? Seriously hon- it seems like you have a problem with human beings having fun and enjoying themselves. Why?! Seriously, I am worried about you at this point and really want you to have fun, I think you might be missing out- Jesus would not approve...;-)

Quote:
There's a stark distinction between the Christian God and the god of this world, who some believe was in charge of music before his fall from grace. Me, I'm not scared of satan, but I do look out for things that are enticing to the flesh because they're often an enemy of our relationship with God - you know, the One that's called us to holiness?
Ok well, now you're talking about Satan- I can't really say much here, because I have absolutely no belief in the existence of "satan", who is pretty much just a lively (and cool) character made up by the Christian (specifically Catholic, I think) church to instill fear, who doesn't seem to do much of anything but inspire heavy metal bands to make good music and pose for iconographic designs, and scare the commoners. Again- we're talking about a CHARACTER- that which is evil can't be blamed on anyone except he who perpetrates it- not because he follows "satan"- that is absurd. But because he is without god...and based on what i understood christians preach THAT should be the biggest fear- NOT Satan. And I believe that one, so why the drama with ole beelzebub?!?

Old 11-16-2009, 04:38 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
And Jesus, the son of god, did NOT give his life for me...
Well, you're on a Christianity board so you probably won't agree with a lot of what's posted here. But instead of interrogating you on the subject, I'll step away.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:28 PM

478 posts, read 773,397 times
Quote:
Well, you're on a Christianity board so you probably won't agree with a lot of what's posted here. But instead of interrogating you on the subject, I'll step away.
I know, I'm in the minority here, but I do agree with things here and there- I am a person of reason and of good nature, so if something seems kind, good and beneficial- and can be applied to life and our world- I like it. If something is based on judgement, fear or ugliness and I can't apply it fairly to the world in which we live, I don't get it...but the latter is more why I am likely to be here- out of curiosity, and to learn and try to understand why people think how they do; religion fascinates me as much as it disturbs me- there is so much good to be found in it, yet it wreaks so much havoc, unhappiness and ugliness- that is the part I guess I don't understand- and the part I'm most intrigued by, I guess. And as well the main part that seems to go unanswered a lot of the time- you, for example, don't want to talk to me anymore nor explain things, nor ask me to explain things to you- which is OK, I'm used to that here where I live; whenever the subject of religion comes up with the extremists it ends up in them shutting down and shutting me out. If you have faith, you have faith- nothing more need be said and I respect that. But nobody ever leaves it at just that- it's just all the other stuff that confuses me, and that's the stuff that nobody wants to explain in a way that I can understand! Anyway carryon- I'm off to nap. Should you change your mind and wish to challenge or query me please do, I'll be around from time to time. :-)

Old 11-16-2009, 11:49 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
Wow, little elmer, I am disappointed because I have read some of your other posts on the forum and have been impressed by you. I recently
attended a Seventh Day Slumber concert with my two boys. They play heavy metal music and their lyrics are all about God. The lead singer Joseph Rojas used to take drugs and he almost committed suicide at one point in this life before he was a Christian. He testifies that his mother's prayers are what rescued him. He asked Jesus into his heart in the ambulance on the way to the hospital after he almost died.

Joseph sings about his Love for God and how God changed his life. His voice, the lyrics and the music is amazing. After the concert Joseph stood on stage and shared his story for almost half an hour. After he was finished many people came up to the stage, fell on their knees and made a commitment to Christ that night. Many people were in tears and I believe many hearts are changed through similar concerts. I have seen amazing things at Christian concerts.

Let me ask you a question? Why should the world get all the good music? That is nonsense.. If we are called sons and daughters of the most High God then we should get the best music,whether that means Rock, Jazz, Blues, Rap, Country, whatever... It is the spirit and message behind the music..not the beat.

I am sorry but I believe that God is alot more creative than that. To sit in church and merely listen to some boring Hymn played on an Organ (no offense, some people are into that) is not what I call freedom in Christ.

I believe you are living in bondage Little Elmer. I was once a headbanger also and stayed away from Rock for a long time. But God allowed me to have it back when it wasn't my idle anymore. Hmmm, maybe you are afraid of something? If it isn't for you than that is fine but please don't judge something and call it devilish when it is changing lives. That is offensive.
Quote:
Maybe so, maybe no - it depends on the listener's state of mind. My view of God is perhaps bigger than some, but I take His instructions seriously. Like I said, I was big into heavy metal and have listened to some Christian bands of similiar genres, and I'm giving you my feedback: it's more of a pull into what we're to turn away from, than an inspiration to draw near to the One who saved us from the past.

imo.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 PM

Wow to not believe in Jesus or God is a pretty hopeless place to be in. What do you have to look forward to..death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
Well, my answer is neither. There is no god that gave his live for me; god is not a living being as you describe- unless you mean Jesus? Jesus is NOT god but, in my belief, the son thereof. And Jesus, the son of god, did NOT give his life for me, nor for anyone else- he was killed because a bunch of *******s hated him, misunderstood him, and decided that he should be put to death for the supposed treacherous, and blasphemous things he spoke of and taught- basically, they saw him as a threat and were afraid of him. And Jesus was VERY against his own crucifiction- do not think for a second that he willingly gave his life for anyone- read the bible! He was NOT happy to be where he was, but he did say a bunch of stuff (AFTER crying out to his father/god) and for some reason everyone just went with that and ran...Ack! Anyway back the the next part of your query- me wanting one that wants you to have a good time 'cause it's cool and doesn't hurt anybody? Well- I guess if you see "gods" in different forms (I thought there was just one) then given the choice, I'd go with that one based on the good time and cool thing...why would I not, when you put it that way? Seriously hon- it seems like you have a problem with human beings having fun and enjoying themselves. Why?! Seriously, I am worried about you at this point and really want you to have fun, I think you might be missing out- Jesus would not approve...;-)

Ok well, now you're talking about Satan- I can't really say much here, because I have absolutely no belief in the existence of "satan", who is pretty much just a lively (and cool) character made up by the Christian (specifically Catholic, I think) church to instill fear, who doesn't seem to do much of anything but inspire heavy metal bands to make good music and pose for iconographic designs, and scare the commoners. Again- we're talking about a CHARACTER- that which is evil can't be blamed on anyone except he who perpetrates it- not because he follows "satan"- that is absurd. But because he is without god...and based on what i understood christians preach THAT should be the biggest fear- NOT Satan. And I believe that one, so why the drama with ole beelzebub?!?

Old 11-17-2009, 12:16 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Wow to not believe in Jesus or God is a pretty hopeless place to be in. What do you have to look forward to..death?
He didn't say that he didn't believe in Jesus or God just that he didn't believe that Jesus IS God.. and of course that satan doesn't exist... I agree with both statements..

And sorry if the he is supposed to be a she.. it's very hard to tell.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:42 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times
Matt Maher is da man! Blessing!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:51 AM

Sorry for the misinterpretation of his/her wording. and I am not sure what you mean..what statements do you agree with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
He didn't say that he didn't believe in Jesus or God just that he didn't believe that Jesus IS God.. and of course that satan doesn't exist... I agree with both statements..

And sorry if the he is supposed to be a she.. it's very hard to tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity