Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:09 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,040 times

Advertisements

"Well those who want it can celebrate it and those who don't celebrate can get some really good deals on home electronics."

I am laughing.

Seriously. What is up with people? No one is taking Christmas away from you. A holiday party thanks ALL the workers, not just the "Christians".
Sort of inclusive.
Sort of thoughtful.
Sort of what Jesus would do.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:17 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Bottom Line---IMO the main problem is Christians are told Christmas is not to be called that anymore. It's been called Christmas for centuries and now it is wrong. That makes no sense. Christians are not going to start calling it something else. Tell Jews not to say Hanukkah anymore. Change it to something else. I don't think they will.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
People really just love to look for reasons to be pissed off. What's silly is over analyzing the situation and expecting everyone to be in lock-step with you.

You were invited to a office party. That's it. The mental gymnastics you must go through to turn that into something bad is beyond me.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:25 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Bottom Line---IMO the main problem is Christians are told Christmas is not to be called that anymore.
What? Explain and maybe back up with some examples.. I've never been told NOT to call it Christmas.

Quote:
It's been called Christmas for centuries and now it is wrong.
Who said it was wrong?

Quote:
That makes no sense
I agree.. wait are you talking about your post or your theory?

Quote:
Christians are not going to start calling it something else.
Makes sense considering they haven't been asked to call it something else..

Quote:
Tell Jews not to say Hanukkah anymore.
Just food for thought. Which of these two festivals did Jesus celebrate?

A) Hanukkah
B) Christmas

Back to your point.. Nobody is asking Jews or Christians or anyone to change what they call their holiday.

HOWEVER, most reasonable adults would agree that saying "Happy Holidays" to a group of people in NO WAY tries to remove Jesus from Christmas. It is simply an ADULT way of respect that not all people are Christians. However, if you or others feel as though that you must say Merry Christmas to a group of people you don't know then have at it. It says much more about you than it does them.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 AM

I blame Norman Rockwell for all of this..

Old 11-24-2009, 11:36 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
....Who is fighting you against mentioning Christ in the season?....
The opening post as I recall is about a company official bowing at the altar of "political correctness" and forcing her/his employees to abandon centuries of American tradition and label the annual Christmas party something other than what it always has been and really is. The writer of the op if I recall is not in favor of such a name change. And it's my guess that neither are most of the employees of that company.

I think most grassroots Americans are really getting thoroughly disgusted with the relentless secularist attacks on our centuries-old American values and traditions. The office party name change is just one example of such attacks.

It is my observation that many grassroots Americans are now beginning to peacefully but effectively fight back against those who would destroy our traditional way of life and turn our nation away from God's commandments and Jesus Christ and his lifestyle teachings. Traditional office parties held in the United States of America during the season that was dedicated by our forefathers to remember and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ should not in my opinion be called mere "winter" or "whatever" parties, they should properly be called what they were always called before the disease of "political correctness" was deliberately cultured and spread in our nation - "Christmas Party".

That's how I see it. Make light of the name of a mere office party if you will, but as far as I'm concerned it's part and parcel of the vicious attack on the traditional values and ways of Americans by elitist enemies within, their fellow travelers who seek the same global objectives, and those who blindly sympathize with and follow them.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:44 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,216 times
We call ours a Holiday Party--people can take that as they will--Christmas, Hannukkah, Solstice --or just a celebration that we are about to go on 'holiday' as we are off for two weeks between Dec 23rd and sometime after New Years.

Also what does it matter that Christmas is a pagan celebration day? What I think is that for many generations people have celebrated the birth of Christ and the goodness of the season (family time, giving to others, charity etc) so who care's about it's pagan origins if this is what you are trying to celebrate--and if you don't want to do those things no one minds as you get some time off work to relax--either way.....

Old 11-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
The opening post as I recall is about a company official bowing at the altar of "political correctness" and forcing her/his employees to abandon centuries of American tradition and label the annual Christmas party something other than what it always has been and really is. The writer of the op if I recall is not in favor of such a name change. And it's my guess that neither are most of the employees of that company.
To which YOU STATED:
Quote:
1. That's right, the person who calls the company shots is free to label the event "Pretty Pagan Party" or whatever.
It doesn't really matter what the write of the OP is in favor of. He/She doesn't OWN the company. Her personal liberties are still in place. If He/She wants to start a company any call his/her office party a "Christmas Party" she has every right to do that.

Quote:
I think most grassroots Americans are really getting thoroughly disgusted with the relentless secularist attacks on our centuries-old American values and traditions.
I read that as "most real Americans".. you know.. the white ones.. the ones that "settled this country" before all those "immigrants" came here and messed it all up for everyone with their "different" faiths and viewpoints. Well played again.. and again I mean horribly played.

Quote:
The office party name change is just one example of such attacks.
And Lo did Jesus proclaim that on or about the 3rd week of December and taking into consideration those traveling for the company, the company shall have a Christmas Party. IT SHALL NOT BE CALLED AN OFFICE PARTY. YA'LL THIS IS ABOUT ME.. SERIOUSLY.. IF YOU ARE GOING TO GATHER AT WORK AROUND AN HP COPIER AND HAVE ANNOYING CONVERSATIONS WITH YOUR FELLOW CO-WORKERS I WANT IT IN REMEMBRANCE OF YOURS TRULY!!

The previous was a passage from THE Highest Management 6:22-27

Quote:
It is my observation that many grassroots Americans are now beginning to peacefully but effectively fight back against those who would destroy our traditional way of life and turn our nation away from God's commandments and Jesus Christ and his lifestyle teachings.
Thats right.. grassroots Americans. You know the REAL Americans.. those that displaced the people on this land.. Americans of paleness.. lacking different religious faiths.. Real. Grassroots. Americans.

Quote:
Traditional office parties held in the United States of America during the season that was dedicated by our forefathers to remember and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ should not in my opinion be called mere "winter" or "whatever" parties, they should properly be called what they were always called before the disease of "political correctness" was deliberately cultured and spread in our nation - "Christmas Party".
Yes how we long for a time of unfortunate conversations around the office water cooler that eventually lead to Ken in Accounting getting a little too drunk and fondling Alicia in Finance. Ken was always a little too shy to make a pass before but with the Christmas Spirit (read as Egg Nog laced with Jack Daniels) he now is brave enough to make those inappropriate gestures he has always wanted to make. And lo.. I see a mistletoe over the color printer!! That has to mean that Shelia (the office *****) is ready to make some racy copies of the Christmas presents her husband gave to her last Christmas.

How could anyone NOT want their religious holiday tied to such awesomeness??

Quote:
That's how I see it.
I know.. You've played enough of your cards to show us all EXACTLY how you see it.

Quote:
Make light of the name of a mere office party if you will
Done and done.

Quote:
but as far as I'm concerned it's part and parcel of the vicious attack on the traditional values and ways of Americans by elitist enemies within, their fellow travelers who seek the same global objectives, and those who blindly sympathize with and follow them
Yes.. vicious. attack. traditional. values. Americans. enemies. travelers. global. sympathize.

You know who also doesn't like Christmas. Osama Bin Laden... and if you don't like Christmas too you aren't a real grassroots (wink wink nudge nudge) American.. and you might.. might be a terrorist. I'm not saying you are.. I'm just saying you aren't as American as some people.. if you don't believe in Jesus.. I mean I'm not saying you are... I'm just saying that If you don't believe in Jesus then you might not be American. Might.. not be. You might be a vicous. attacker. on. traditional. values. and Americans. and. you. might. be. a. global. enemy.

might.. could be. I dunno. We'll see.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 6,497 times
Default Always be CHRISTMAS

Whomever decided THAT needs a good slap!Send a CHRISTMAS card to the ACLU and be sure to thank them

Old 11-24-2009, 01:44 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
And Lo did Jesus proclaim that on or about the 3rd week of December and taking into consideration those traveling for the company, the company shall have a Christmas Party. IT SHALL NOT BE CALLED AN OFFICE PARTY. YA'LL THIS IS ABOUT ME.. SERIOUSLY.. IF YOU ARE GOING TO GATHER AT WORK AROUND AN HP COPIER AND HAVE ANNOYING CONVERSATIONS WITH YOUR FELLOW CO-WORKERS I WANT IT IN REMEMBRANCE OF YOURS TRULY!!

That is funny but yes, I beleive Jesus would say just that. "Hey guys it's my birthday you are celebrating so why are you trying to throw me out. Oh well, I am use to it. They did the same thing when I was born and I had to be placed in a manger. No room at the Inn, but by now I thought there may be room in your hearts."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity