Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:36 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to wrap my head around the trinity for some time now...

Here is what keeps tripping me up if I accept the trinity:

God is Spirit

The Holy Ghost is Spirit

Jesus is Flesh and Spirit

God is Three: Father (spirit), Holy Ghost (spirit), and Jesus Christ (flesh and spirit)

So if I accept that there are three.. then I must accept that the Father (spirit) is not the Holy Ghost (spirit)

But they are both God's spirit...

Anyone willing to explain this separation of spirit to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 12:48 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times
Hey Kat,

I see your are wrestling with this, and that is good. God is good.

They are yes, all three, incorporated into one...God. He is beyond space and time...the universe, as we understand it, was created by God, so therefore He is outside of all that is known and unknown to man.

You are a smart woman, and I commend you for searching.
Keep doing so, as God loves you just as much as He loves, and everyone else for that matter, and He will bless you with the wisdom in your search for the truth. Stay busy.

God is the only savior...Isa 43:11
Christ is the only savior.....all over the NT
The Holy Spirit is His gift to us to help us in good times and bad...Acts

Jesus and the Father are ONE.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:01 PM

418 posts, read 1,089,702 times
A Priest explained it this way;
Think of the Sun as God, the light from the sun as Jesus, the warmth of the son as the Holy Spirit.
Now think of this without the physical sun.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:03 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buettner View Post
A Priest explained it this way;
Think of the Sun as God, the light from the sun as Jesus, the warmth of the son as the Holy Spirit.
Now think of this without the physical sun.
That is a pretty picture.. however it is not quite the same because the warmth of the sun is expressed through it's light. If the sun's light hits you it warms you so the warmth is not independent of the light they are dependent on each other.. see why I struggle with this?

Take a pie for example... cut it in thirds and it is still a pie but if you take one piece of pie away and set it aside.. both parts are still the pie, and they are not separate. However the trinity states that one piece of the pie is made of a different substance (spirit and flesh) so it is a from different pie altogether.

Leaving the other two pieces which are exactly the same even if in different locations they remain the same pie.

Does that make sense? So the spirit of God and God are the same but Jesus is spirit of God with flesh so it is different. Why do people say then that they are all three the same?

Old 11-21-2009, 02:15 PM

418 posts, read 1,089,702 times
Hmm, it seems so clear to me. Jesus was the flesh but when He ascended to heaven he became that part of the pie you mentioned to make it whole again.
I don't see the light as warm, just as light. without the sun there would be no light or warmth.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

Take a pie for example... cut it in thirds and it is still a pie but if you take one piece of pie away and set it aside.. both parts are still the pie, and they are not separate. However the trinity states that one piece of the pie is made of a different substance (spirit and flesh) so it is a from different pie altogether.

Leaving the other two pieces which are exactly the same even if in different locations they remain the same pie.

Does that make sense? So the spirit of God and God are the same but Jesus is spirit of God with flesh so it is different. Why do people say then that they are all three the same?
Kat,

I like your pie analogy, however, what is the stumbling block here is Jesus.

God, is spirit, Holy Ghost is spirit, and those two cannot be flesh, for they are spirit. Because spirit is not of this world, it is incorruptible. Jesus has this incorruptibility in His spirit, but God took on the flesh, the Adamic state, to overcome what we cannot, to exemplify that incorruptibility of what exists outside of the Adamic state. He came, in the flesh, to show us, in our state, that He is God, and is incorruptible, without sin, even though He harbored what we are cursed with.

His kingdom exists ONLY in the spirit, in the heart, not in the flesh.
And that kingdom is the kingdom that we must feed, through Him, Jesus.

Jesus is the bridge between God and man.
He provided what we can never accomplish.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:27 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
There is one Father.

There is one begotten Son. He is not created, but brought forth from God. When God begot Jesus, he did not use his breath, a rib, or words to "create" Jesus . . . God the Father, Used Himself, his own spirit/stuff . . .

So that is why they say Jesus is one with the Father . . but He is not the Father, never was . . . God the Father did not come down to earth . . but Jesus, who is his only begotten son, not created, is God by virture that he was begotten.

One God the Father . . . the Begotten Son who is the creator . . . co-existent, different assignments . . . more or less . . . . and the Holy Spirit. At the Baptism of Jesus, all three were present, Father, Son and Spirit.

We are all son's of God, but we are not "begotten" our nature is flesh and bone, and we are carnally minded . .. . Jesus is not flesh and bone in heaven, but he was given the "assignment" from his Father to come down as Saviour.

It is hard to wrap your mind around it . . . but when they said God left his throne on high, to come for sinful man to die, you count it strange so once did I, before I knew my saviour . . . . .

Jesus said he was not of this world, he acccepted worship, he did not correct when other's called him My Saviour, My God . . . . but he did say the Father was Greater than He . . . I believe that too . . so I don't believe in the "traditional" trinity. I do not believe that there is more than one Father . . . .all God stuff . . . are they equal . . . I don't know, I believe not, the Bible teaches that Jesus says His Father is Greater than He . . . and that is what I also believe, no one gets to God the Father, except by God the Son . . . and the Holy Spirit, while that's another story . . . . the Holy Spirit is Not the Father, Not the Son . . . but the Spirit of God . . . .God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are not the same spiritual makeup as angels or demons, or anything else . . they are the only dieties . . . . . sort of like relatives . . . same blood, one the Matriach, but all the same genetic composition.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:38 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
There is one Father.

There is one begotten Son. He is not created, but brought forth from God. When God begot Jesus, he did not use his breath, a rib, or words to "create" Jesus . . . God the Father, Used Himself, his own spirit/stuff . . .

So that is why they say Jesus is one with the Father . . but He is not the Father, never was . . . God the Father did not come down to earth . . but Jesus, who is his only begotten son, not created, is God by virture that he was begotten.

One God the Father . . . the Begotten Son who is the creator . . . co-existent, different assignments . . . more or less . . . . and the Holy Spirit. At the Baptism of Jesus, all three were present, Father, Son and Spirit.

We are all son's of God, but we are not "begotten" our nature is flesh and bone, and we are carnally minded . .. . Jesus is not flesh and bone in heaven, but he was given the "assignment" from his Father to come down as Saviour.

It is hard to wrap your mind around it . . . but when they said God left his throne on high, to come for sinful man to die, you count it strange so once did I, before I knew my saviour . . . . .

Jesus said he was not of this world, he acccepted worship, he did not correct when other's called him My Saviour, My God . . . . but he did say the Father was Greater than He . . . I believe that too . . so I don't believe in the "traditional" trinity. I do not believe that there is more than one Father . . . .all God stuff . . . are they equal . . . I don't know, I believe not, the Bible teaches that Jesus says His Father is Greater than He . . . and that is what I also believe, no one gets to God the Father, except by God the Son . . . and the Holy Spirit, while that's another story . . . . the Holy Spirit is Not the Father, Not the Son . . . but the Spirit of God . . . .God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are not the same spiritual makeup as angels or demons, or anything else . . they are the only dieties . . . . . sort of like relatives . . . same blood, one the Matriach, but all the same genetic composition.
Didn`t he also say, why do you call me good, there is none good except God?
Doesn`t the bible also say there is one God..the father and one Lord..Jesus?
Who does it say is the one God?

Old 11-21-2009, 02:45 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
Yes, he also said that.

Do you not believe that Jesus is God the Son? We cannot use our carnal minds to decipher this . . .what helped me was years and years of praying for wisdom and discernment.

I do not believe Jesus = God the Father . . . . but I do believe that Jesus is God's only begotten Son . . . made of the same nature, having the same plan on the same page . . . yet different missions . . . Jesus God's Son, sitting at his right hand . . . made of the same stuff . . .. . seems to me the Father is in Charge of different things . . .like when the end of the world as we know it will come . . . Jesus doesn't know that . . . .

Old 11-21-2009, 02:47 PM

God created the universe.
God, for mankind, split Himself up into three...Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

There is a purpose for all of this:

Isa 9:7 Of the increase of [his] government and peace [there shall be] no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity