Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Extreme Weather is Due to:
Climate Change, i.e. global warming 42 50.60%
God's Judgements 13 15.66%
A combination of both 28 33.73%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,615,424 times

Advertisements

Was God very judgmental toward the midwest in the 1930's ?

Black Sunday

In 1935, on a Sunday that started out fine and glorious, there came a frantic fleeing of birds who could not out fly a dense, dark cloud of dirt that soon overwhelmed the landscape. This, the worst storm yet, earned that day the name "Black Sunday". By now all those who could not take the pressure had either moved far away from this heartbreaking land, or died in it. On this bleak Sunday, many of the people who had managed to survive so far believed the end of the world was at hand. For hours they were trapped indoors unable to see a step ahead through the dirt outdoors.

Earthquake

On a lovely June day in 1936 an earthquake burst through the hard Oklahoma soil and tore it open from Kenton to Perryton and from Liberal to Stratford[COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][/color][/color]. Summer temperatures reached 120 degrees Fahrenheit. The heat wave finally broke that year, but 1937 brought more dirt storms, and 1938 introduced the term "snuster", meaning a blizzard of snow mixed with dirt. Snow and dust.

Aftermath

Finally toward the end of the thirties, the unprecedented weather extremes and tornados subsided. The area remains harsh but those years of the 1930s were excessive.

Or was it a combination of bad farming practices and extreme weather?

Old 03-22-2010, 04:42 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There is no trib....I think you have been scammed.
hardly.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:32 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I know the story VERY well. I'm FROM the Caribbean and have been to Jamaica about 20 times. Port Royal was no different than other pirate havens in the world at the time. It just happens that Jamaica sits near a FAULT line and mankind just happened to be in the area when an earthquake hit.

Even my own island (St. Thomas) was hit with a major quake in 1893 and a few other strong ones over the years. They are a reality in our area and tremors are daily and a major quake is always 50-200 years apart.
Oh well that's even better! Greetings from America! But I wan't to know what you THINK about the story! Specifally the story from Port Royal. I noticed you dodged giving me your thoughts about it twice already. You keep saying the same thing about the fault lines but your not saying anything about how weird and coincidental it was that Port Royal was a corrupt city and all of a sudden one day an earthquake came and the whole city fell into the ocean! Your honestly trying to imply that it was a natural occurance? And the fact that when they tried to rebuild Port Royal several times in the 17th and 18th century, fire and hurricanes mysteriously struck the city and destroyed it. And then AGAIN in 1907 another huge earthquake struck the city amidst the finished rebuilding efforts.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Wow, don't get your panties in a knot.....I meant no disrespect......I'm an optimist and can plainly see that things are improving, even when it comes to natural disasters...Where ever a disaster strikes buildings are improved, escape plans are made, forecasting abilities are improved, etc.

What do you call living in fear of some doomsday, and if not paranoia? I sure couldn't live like that.

Regarding "getting on my knees" That's never going to happen so you have no reason to feel sorry for me...I look toward the better times coming in the future, while you feed on disaster and death as if it were a good thing.
I see your point. But I'm honestly not trying to feed on disaster and death. It's not like I'm looking foward everyday to the end of humanity. I wake up every morning and I'm just thankful I'm alive. I just know what I see and what I see in the world today is what the bible described in revelations. I don't know why that is so hard for many people to grasp. It's like they are scared of the thought that perhaps the world might possibly end so they block it out of their minds and play it off as if it isn't going to.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Between 2005 and now in internet years is like 200 years, besides, just to show you how easy it is to overlook stuff, just a few years earlier in 2003, 27,000 people were killed in Bam, Iran from a quake that was weaker than the one in Haiti or Chile. Then in 2008 an 8.0 quake hit China killing 68,000 people. Another quake (7.0) slammed Japan in 2008 but only 84 people died because it hit in a non-highly populated region.

You see, I am a geography and geology buff and have a great respect for nature. I pay attention to these things. If you were paying closer attention, you would have realized there have been disasters on major scales over those years you never realized.
I'm sorry. I wrote a long paragraph response to this which got deleted by my idiotic computer teacher. It really pissed me off because I was on the money with what I had to say. I was gonna bank a million bucks with you. But ANYWAY, I'm gonna try to revise my speech into a shorter one later.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I see your point. But I'm honestly not trying to feed on disaster and death. It's not like I'm looking foward everyday to the end of humanity. I wake up every morning and I'm just thankful I'm alive. I just know what I see and what I see in the world today is what the bible described in revelations. I don't know why that is so hard for many people to grasp. It's like they are scared of the thought that perhaps the world might possibly end so they block it out of their minds and play it off as if it isn't going to.
Oh, I'm absolutely sure the world will end all right, but nobody knows when, so why worry about it?

Old 03-22-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Oh, I'm absolutely sure the world will end all right, but nobody knows when, so why worry about it?
You know I was planning to come back and reply a long post to Insane, but now I just want out. I'm just gonna drop it. And you know what? I actually agree with you. I was thinking about what you said the other day to myself. I was wondering, even if Jesus does come or even if the world is in fact ending sooner than we thought, why am I so worried about it? Why am I constantly "warning" people about it when there is nothing to be warned about? The world will see for themselves. There's nothing I have to say or do to show anybody anything when they will see, interpret, and analyze the situation for themselves. I don't know why I waste my time with these conspiracies. I'm not changing my views all of a sudden btw. I still think there is divine work at hand this year. I'm just fed up with all the conspiracies I've been reading about on the web and in the news. If things happen, they happen. I've been reading so many things that personally scare me. Why read them if they are scaring me and then I'm telling everybody else and scaring them? What a horrible cycle. And I can't believe I was doing that. All I know is, I'm done with them. I will pray at night and read the bible like I always have done and let that be that. If there's more major earthquakes, then there will be more major earthquakes. But If I read that a huge national monument breaks into pieces or crashes into the sea by a major earthquake or any other catastrophe, you best believe you will never hear the end of it by me.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:01 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
You have made some very good decisions ...Your life will be eased, because it is futile to worry about the things we have no control over...We only harm ourselves by doing that.

Paranoia is the road to insanity....

Old 03-22-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Apocalypse 16:8-9

And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun, and it was given unto him to afflict men with heat and fire: And men were scorched with great heat, and they blasphemed the name of God, who hath power over these plagues, neither did they penance to give him glory.

The last two summers (2008, 2009) were cold and way below normal in the northeast US. According to some predictions, this coming summer will not be much warmer.

Don't think we are close to the end times yet!
I'm sorry but this is one of the most idiotic post I've heard yet. The only time the Angels of heaven come upon the Earth is when all the happenings listed in revelations come true! And they haven't all happened yet!! Have you even read the bible?!

Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,231 times
Right,Allen.
What we are talking about here is just the birth pangs,not the full-fledged judgments yet to come..

"..and those who are wise shall in the last days understand."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity