Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2009, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,146 times

Advertisements

10Not only that, but Rebekah's children had one and the same father, our father Isaac. 11Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God's purpose in election might stand: 12not by works but by him who calls—she was told, "The older will serve the younger."[d] 13Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."[e] 14What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15For he says to Moses,
"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."[f] 16It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. 17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."[g] 18Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

My question is as follows: If the Lord said in Scripture that He is not willing that anyone should perish but have eternal life, then why does this Scripture say that God raised Pharoah up for the sole purpose of allowing his heart to remain hardened? This seems contradictory yet I know that God loves everyone, doesn't He? How do I know if I'm one of those "chosen" to be hardened or not to attain Heaven? This confuses me. Anyone have feedback for me? I have another question but will ask in another post. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 07:43 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,911,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawhetz View Post
10Not only that, but Rebekah's children had one and the same father, our father Isaac. 11Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God's purpose in election might stand: 12not by works but by him who calls—she was told, "The older will serve the younger."[d] 13Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."[e] 14What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15For he says to Moses,
"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."[f] 16It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. 17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."[g] 18Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

My question is as follows: If the Lord said in Scripture that He is not willing that anyone should perish but have eternal life, then why does this Scripture say that God raised Pharoah up for the sole purpose of allowing his heart to remain hardened? This seems contradictory yet I know that God loves everyone, doesn't He? How do I know if I'm one of those "chosen" to be hardened or not to attain Heaven? This confuses me. Anyone have feedback for me? I have another question but will ask in another post. Thanks!
The passage you quote in 2 Peter 2:9 is concerned with Israelite believers. For them, repentance was part of their salvation. God wanted those believers to have a change of mind (repentance) about what they were doing.

By the way, you misquoted the verse. It does not say "He is not willing that anyone should perish but have eternal life" but rather states this:

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not tardy as to the promise, as some are deeming tardiness, but is patient because of you, not intending any to perish, but all to make room for repentance."

He was not intending any (any Israelite believers) to perish but He was intending that all (of the Israelite believers) would make room for repentance.

You are talking about two completely different things when talking about what God was doing with Pharaoh and with Israelite believers.

Pharaoh was a vessel of dishonor but Moses and vessel of honor. God formed them that way.
Believers are vessels of honor and mercy and God also makes vessels of dishonor fitted for destruction and indignation.

God not willing any to perish has nothing to do with the vessels of indignation fitted for destruction. His not willing any to perish has only to do with the Israelite believers.

This has nothing to do with eternal consequences concerning the vessels of indignation. Paul does not leave it at that but takes us to the goal God has for both groups in Romans chapter 11 verses 32-36. God locks up ALL in stubbornness so that He will have mercy on ALL. And in verse 36, ALL that came out of God one day is going to be FOR GOD! Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity