U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 08:29 AM

357 posts, read 1,252,355 times

Advertisements

I am of Greek descent, and i am really into Greek mythology and things like Hercules/Xena?clash of the Titans, et al.

Im just worried that this stuff is forbidden by Christianity

Deuteronomy 5:8

"You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below."

Deuteronomy 27:15

"Cursed is the man who carves an image or casts an idol--a thing detestable to the LORD, the work of the craftsman's hands--and sets it up in secret." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!"

Deuteronomy 7:26

"Do not bring a detestable thing (an idol) into your house or you, like it, will be set apart for destruction. Utterly abhor and detest it, for it is set apart for destruction."

I have small Greek tourist souvenirs in my house shaped like Aphrodite and Zeus. Am i set apart for destruction? Or is it only an idol if you worship it, because trust me, i don't worship any of my tourist souvenirs. Are all the original Greek and Roman god statues in our museums today supposed to be smashed and broken in accordance to God's law?

Revelation 2:12-13: "In Pergamos where Satan's Throne is"

This passage comes from Jesus himself, he says that Satan's throne is in the Greek city of Pergamos (pergamon)...archeologists think that the "throne" in question is the altar of Zeus in that city (now in the Berlin museum) ...so if it is Satan's throne, does that mean that Zeus is Satan?

Interestingly, there is a statue of Athena in Athens, Georgia and another one in the replica Parthenon in Nashville TN. The south has always seemed to be fairly Christian...has there been any outlash against these statues from the locals?

Also, alot of Italian renaissance artwork depicts Greek gods, and 16th century Italy was a very Christian society...Even in my local Greektown community, many old Greek people are very conservative Christian, but name their restaurants after Athena, Zeus and Poseidon.

I try reassuring myself with the above examples that Christianity and Greek myth are compatable, but those Bible quotes still scare me. I don't even refer to greek gods as "gods" anymore, i call them "superbeings" or "immortals" or "Olympians"

I mean, if i don't worship the Greek mythologicals, how is it any differant than being obsessed with batman or Superman? Sure, people used to worship the Greek mythologicals, but im sure there are die-hard fanboys out there who worship Superman or Obi-wan_kenobi or Spock. I actually know people who say Ozzie Osborne is their god or that Axl Rose is their god, but i doubt they are serious.

Please offer your imput, i really love mythology, but i am afraid that it is forbidden by my religion.

Last edited by scottyr; 11-28-2009 at 08:37 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 10:05 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,526,657 times
Your fine. Don't worship them. You said you don't. So don't worry.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,728,653 times
Quote:
scottyr... and i am really into Greek mythology and things like Hercules/Xena?clash of the Titans, et al.
Why? Isn't Jesus enough?

All the passages you quoted are excellent.

Quote:
I try reassuring myself with the above examples that Christianity and Greek myth are compatable, but those Bible quotes still scare me. I don't even refer to greek gods as "gods" anymore, i call them "superbeings" or "immortals" or "Olympians"
They are not "compatible." The passages of Scripture should scare you "but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word." (Isaiah 66:2)

"The graven images of their gods shall ye burn with fire: thou shalt not desire the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it unto thee, lest thou be snared therein: for it is an abomination to the LORD thy God. Neither shalt thou bring an abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: but thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it is a cursed thing."(Deuteronomy 7:25,26)

scottyr, here's the thing, can you without reservation give those things up? Could you today, because of your love and devotion to Jesus alone, get rid completely all those things and stop with this Greek business forever That will be the test whether or not your heart is for Jesus.

I pray it will be.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:34 AM

357 posts, read 1,252,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Why? Isn't Jesus enough?

All the passages you quoted are excellent.

scottyr, here's the thing, can you without reservation give those things up? Could you today, because of your love and devotion to Jesus alone, get rid completely all those things and stop with this Greek business forever That will be the test whether or not your heart is for Jesus.

I pray it will be.

Can't you say the same thing about stuff like "Star Wars" or "Batman" though?

Of course, Jesus is enough, but people also like to have hobbies and interests as well...im sure there are subjects, movies and musicians that you yourself enjoy which are not related to Christianity.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
Can't you say the same thing about stuff like "Star Wars" or "Batman" though?

Of course, Jesus is enough, but people also like to have hobbies and interests as well...im sure there are subjects, movies and musicians that you yourself enjoy which are not related to Christianity.
I see

Old 11-28-2009, 11:34 AM

7,374 posts, read 7,405,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
I am of Greek descent, and i am really into Greek mythology and things like Hercules/Xena?clash of the Titans, et al.

Im just worried that this stuff is forbidden by Christianity

Deuteronomy 5:8

"You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below."

Deuteronomy 27:15

"Cursed is the man who carves an image or casts an idol--a thing detestable to the LORD, the work of the craftsman's hands--and sets it up in secret." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!"

Deuteronomy 7:26

"Do not bring a detestable thing (an idol) into your house or you, like it, will be set apart for destruction. Utterly abhor and detest it, for it is set apart for destruction."

I have small Greek tourist souvenirs in my house shaped like Aphrodite and Zeus. Am i set apart for destruction? Or is it only an idol if you worship it, because trust me, i don't worship any of my tourist souvenirs. Are all the original Greek and Roman god statues in our museums today supposed to be smashed and broken in accordance to God's law?

Revelation 2:12-13: "In Pergamos where Satan's Throne is"

This passage comes from Jesus himself, he says that Satan's throne is in the Greek city of Pergamos (pergamon)...archeologists think that the "throne" in question is the altar of Zeus in that city (now in the Berlin museum) ...so if it is Satan's throne, does that mean that Zeus is Satan?

Interestingly, there is a statue of Athena in Athens, Georgia and another one in the replica Parthenon in Nashville TN. The south has always seemed to be fairly Christian...has there been any outlash against these statues from the locals?

Also, alot of Italian renaissance artwork depicts Greek gods, and 16th century Italy was a very Christian society...Even in my local Greektown community, many old Greek people are very conservative Christian, but name their restaurants after Athena, Zeus and Poseidon.

I mean, if i don't worship the Greek mythologicals, how is it any differant than being obsessed with batman or Superman? Sure, people used to worship the Greek mythologicals, but im sure there are die-hard fanboys out there who worship Superman or Obi-wan_kenobi or Spock. I actually know people who say Ozzie Osborne is their god or that Axl Rose is their god, but i doubt they are serious.

Please offer your imput, i really love mythology, but i am afraid that it is forbidden by my religion.

Well, think about it this way, King Solomon built idols and temples to the gods of his many wives in his palace, and he wrote two books of the bible ... Do you think that the same man that was inspired by God to write two books of the bible has been set aside for destruction?

Also there is a difference between having toys and the like, and being an Idolater ...

Old 11-28-2009, 11:47 AM

1,703 posts, read 1,800,356 times
Catholicism e.g. is deeply influenced by pagan mythology, e.g. old church buildings as they exist in europe, even Christmas is a holiday of pagan origin, so is Sunday etc.

I have interest in mythology too - I also would like to study Greek philosophy, Platonism etc., but I don't worship any pagan gods, I think a knowledge about paganism/mythology is even helpful to see what is truly biblical and what is pagan superstition.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:24 PM

8,107 posts, read 7,078,665 times
Greek mythology is just that and not to be given any intrigue or importance, and statues of these mythological figures must be ban form in your home . Books with pictures may be for intellectural proposes only and if dreams occur than throw the books to the trash This may be hard on some people but, The devils are pest and if he is not bothering you than you will be fine. Jesus Christ is not pantheism, for he is relationship in truth and not a myth like unbeliever might say. I view some unbeliever are pantheistic, for some say ``I do not need God for I am a God `` , but the only god they may be is demigod of themself, which is pantheism. I do not believe Catholic faith is mythology for Jesus Christ is in these brothers of ours!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
...I do not believe Catholic faith is mythology for Jesus Christ is in these brothers of ours!
I seriously doubt that. They still worship saints and trust in figures and statues.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:07 PM

40,098 posts, read 26,761,498 times
YOU determine what you are doing, thinking, worshiping, etc. . . . not the things you possess or other people . . . like Marks. Possession is not the problem . . . worshiping them IS. Our "state of mind" (consciousness) determines whether or not we are sinning. It is not some magical or mysterious event. We know when we are sinning . . . because that is the "state of mind" we are in. Relax . . . ignore Marks and all other fundies and literalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity