U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:47 PM

13,624 posts, read 8,780,137 times
Default Explain what it means to "be saved"

I would like to know what people mean when they say something like, "I was saved on Thursday, June 2 at 6:16 P.M." If you have ever said something remotely like that, what is it you really mean? Do you really see "being saved" as an event a person can put a date and time on? And is it possible for a person to "be saved" without being able to say when and where this event took place? None of this is in keeping with my personal belief on what salvation actually is, so I'm really curious to hear your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 02:31 AM

8,830 posts, read 5,848,404 times
I don't know why no one has responded but I'll give it a shot. I'm a little puzzled why you have to ask this if you are a Christian. Some people DO know exactly what day and time they were saved, others like me have no clue. I can tell you what time I was filled with the Spirit and I think I was saved when I was a child but I never acted like a Christian until I asked the Lord to come into my heart again and be my "Savior" which was only a few years ago, don't know when. It's professing a belief in Jesus, confessing your sins and asking him to forgive you and then living for Him only.

What are we "saved" from? From Hell!! We're saved from ourselves and our sins because of what Jesus did on the cross for us. Hallelujah!!

Old 11-29-2009, 05:22 AM

4,325 posts, read 3,114,200 times
Being saved means to fill the soul with Divine Love. A soul filled with Divine Love cannot sin whereas a soul filled with natural love will always have the tenedency to sin. In no other way can someone be saved. Saved from sin means praying for and receiving Divine Love. Thus you are saved from sin, or saved.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:32 AM

3,773 posts, read 6,603,012 times
When we accept Jesus Christ as Lord it is about a true repentance ,a change of mind and heart whereby we are filled with the Holy Spirit. We admit that we are sinners and humble ourselves before the Lord by putting into His hands while at the same time we want to be Christ-Like and serve Him as He is the most important thing in our life.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I'm a little puzzled why you have to ask this if you are a Christian.
I ask because in the Bible we are told that he who endures to the end will be saved. I believe that salvation is a process and not a one-time event and that it will happen when we stand before God to be judged, rather than at the first moment when we realized the impact of Christ's atonement in our lives.

Quote:
Some people DO know exactly what day and time they were saved, others like me have no clue. I can tell you what time I was filled with the Spirit and I think I was saved when I was a child but I never acted like a Christian until I asked the Lord to come into my heart again and be my "Savior" which was only a few years ago, don't know when. It's professing a belief in Jesus, confessing your sins and asking him to forgive you and then living for Him only.
I see there being a specific date and time when a person received the promise of salvation, that time being when the person entered into a convenant relationship with his Savior, being baptized in His name and expressing williness and the sincere desire to be obedient to the Savior's commandments for the rest of his life. I see that as a wonderful moment, as a defining moment, but just as a moment in a life that must be lived with Christ in mind. I don't see it as the moment salvation happens because I see salvation as involving more than one spirit-filled event in one's life.

Quote:
What are we "saved" from? From Hell!!
So, I'm gathering you believe that anyone who does not experience something along the lines of what you described will burn in Hell forever? Or am I exaggerating? (I know how it feels to have your wonds twisted into something you didn't mean, so if I'm doing that, please forgive me and try to clarify your statement.)

Old 11-29-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Being saved means to fill the soul with Divine Love. A soul filled with Divine Love cannot sin whereas a soul filled with natural love will always have the tenedency to sin. In no other way can someone be saved. Saved from sin means praying for and receiving Divine Love. Thus you are saved from sin, or saved.
Are you saved, Reverend? Are you filled with Divine Love? Have you never sinned since this event took place? Can a non-Christian be filled with Divine Love, in your opinion?

Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,460,873 times
Acts 16
27 And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled.
28 But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here.
29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

At the very moment one is saved, he/she is promised eternal life. One will remained saved in this lifetime and beyond as the eternal ages roll on.

So, what's the condition to retain so great a salvation? Do not commit a willful sin. If one commits a willful sin, then he/she is no longer saved; the Spirit of grace departs.

Ezekiel 18
26 When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die.
27 Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive.
28 Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:00 AM

18,078 posts, read 8,225,038 times
And this is eternal life: [it means] to know (to perceive, recognize, become acquainted with, and understand) You, the only true and real God, and [likewise] to know Him, Jesus [as the] Christ (the Anointed One, the Messiah), Whom You have sent.

John 17 verse 3

Being saved is not being able to explain doctrinally what it is , but knowing it in reality in our own lives.

Last edited by pcamps; 11-29-2009 at 10:20 AM..

Old 11-29-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

At the very moment one is saved, he/she is promised eternal life. One will remained saved in this lifetime and beyond as the eternal ages roll on.

So, what's the condition to retain so great a salvation? Do not commit a willful sin. If one commits a willful sin, then he/she is no longer saved; the Spirit of grace departs.
So am I right in assuming that you believe:

(1) If a person believes in Christ but does nothing more than believe, he is saved.
(2) If a person once believed in Christ but stops believing, he is still saved.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Being saved is not being able to explain doctrinally what it is , but knowing it in reality in our own lives.
I can go along with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity