Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:13 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Probably because if one is even moderately educated, they will know enough history to be able to extrapolate examples for themselves.
Would love to know what Islam has brought to the table of the world. Please enlighten me....

"moderately educated" ...well I believe that is a challenge.

Christianity brought forth the first scientists, Christianity created hospitals, Christianity produced charities (YMCA, Salvation Army), Christianity produced schools, Harvard, Yale started off as Christian schools, Christianity brought forth the printing press (it was invented to print bibles) Christianity brought fourth the first radio signal, used to play Christmas Christian music, Christianity created democracy. Please pray tell what has Islam brought?

Quote:
I don't have to prove anything. You're the one making the claim that ya'll are so abused, burden of the proof is on you.
I thought so...you have none.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-04-2009 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 01:16 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times
I've got to say on the topic of persecution, I was a baptized Christian for all my life until this yr & I'm in my early 30s. I NEVER experienced persecution in America because I was a Christian, however I have experienced some negativity by Christians for choosing a different path. I can't speak for outside the U.S. but I think it's really ignorant for Christians in America to claim they're persecuted. Because someone doubts your faith on a message board, because they took prayer out of schools, or took down a nativity scene you feel that's persecution? Give me a break! True persecution is what the Nazis did to the Jews or what Nero did to the early Christians, that's persecution.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:18 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Give me a break! True persecution is what the Nazis did to the Jews or what Nero did to the early Christians, that's persecution.
Or what's happening is Orissa State in India

Old 12-04-2009, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,649 times
You never experienced persecution in America because America in prior years didn't have to deal with political correctness! You could be who you wanted to be without fear of offending anyone. Now if you have a differing religious view than someone else you have to be careful--especially in public schools. Apparently even saying Merry Christmas is wrong in our culture now. What is wrong with this picutre?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:35 PM

127 posts, read 149,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Oh, by the way, I have a strange feeling the author of this thread meant "persecution" in places like the U.S where Christians don't know what persecution is.

It seems you, or someone else has removed your post where you asked.

Quote:
What form of persecution is what what I am asking?
(that’s what I still have in my email)

My post in response has been deleted. The reason? Orphaned post.
I believe, if I remember correctly, my answer was… "The same kind of persecution as in the Bible."

Your “strange feeling” is wrong.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgy1961 View Post
The Bible tells us that Christians will be persecuted, does it not?

If all the non believers ever want to prove the Bible to be false, all they have to do is get together and agree to not persecute Christians anymore.
That would render any verse saying Christians will be persecuted false.

But I’m quite confident that will never happen.
They all know how to prove the Bible false, but they can’t do it.
All they have to do is “nothing” but they can’t do it.
Ok, let's do this again. What do you mean by "not persecute?" You are implying Christians are being persecuted everywhere including the United States "like in the Bible." I want to know where in this country are Christians being rounded up, imprisoned, tortured and so on?

Old 12-04-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Ok, let's do this again. What do you mean by "not persecute?" You are implying Christians are being persecuted everywhere including the United States "like in the Bible." I want to know where in this country are Christians being rounded up, imprisoned, tortured and so on?

How in the world did you come up with ???

Quote:
You are implying Christians are being persecuted everywhere including the United States "like in the Bible."
And that’s a serious question. I really would like to know how you made the assumption that I was talking about the united states.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:08 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgy1961 View Post
How in the world did you come up with ???

And that’s a serious question. I really would like to know how you made the assumption that I was talking about the united states.
Ok, I may have misunderstood you or you are missing my point. It's ok. Carry on.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Ok, I may have misunderstood you or you are missing my point. It's ok. Carry on.

Just to clarify, I wasn’t talking about any one country, or continent for that matter, in particular.
I do believe America is probably the safest country for Christians as far as personal safety, but we aren’t far away from the persecution. I know a man who has been a missionary down in the mountains of Mexico for more than 25 years. He raised his family there. His wife died while there and he has been shot at more than once.

I was mainly talking about the places where if you are caught holding a Church service, or even just having a Bible study in your own home, if the authorities find you, they drag you out, beat you and throw you in prison. It happens a lot more than most people think. Many are being killed just for saying they are a Christian.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:48 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I don't have to prove anything. You're the one making the claim that ya'll are so abused, burden of the proof is on you. Just like it is to prove anything else about your religion. You should know by now that atheists don't just accept without evidence things that people tell them are true. We require, you know...actual documentable facts to make our decisions about what is true and what is not.The problem is, I sincerely doubt you will offer me any "proof" that isn't biased. If you can show me solid proof from a reputable, unbiased source then I'd be happy to look at it.

Unfortunately, the whole point in my initial remark on the OP has been lost upon you though.

The Sydney Morning Herald indicates 200 million Christians are at risk of persecution. Real persecution.

20091122 Isw8 - National Times - smh.com.au

The Guardian, a generally Left-wing British paper, on persecution of Christians in China. That it's a Left-wing British paper explains many "good for them/say no to God botherers!" comments in the response section.

Benedict Rogers: China's persecution of Christians hasn't been rolled back for the Olympics | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

This from the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization discusses persecution of religious dissidents, including Christians, in Laos.

UNPO - Hmong: Persecution of Lao Hmong Christians, Animists, Buddhist Dissident Believers Intensifies

The BBC on persecution of Christians in North Korea

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | North Korea 'executes Christians'

I've tried to avoid anything that is a Christian site and even not listed some stories I found if the paper sounded too conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity