Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:41 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
I don't like it either. I was brought up Protestant so in the churches I went to growing up, we were taught that it was the resurrection that meant something, NOT the suffering, and so the few crosses we had in our house were always barren; the first time I went to a friend's house who was catholic I saw that their house was filled with crosses- all with a bloody, suffering Jesus on them. And it TOTALLY creeped me out! Still does. So does the whole Mary worship and martyrdom/suffering thing, which seems to be what Catholocism is all about. No matter how well you guys explain the idolizing/worship/whatever of Mary I still don't get it.
My parents are Catholic and they have 1 cross in their house and its not full of suffering. Not all Catholics have crosses full of suffering Christs on the walls of their house. There are as many Catholic Christian practices as their are protestant practices. You cannot lump all Catholics together like you can't lump all Protestants together. Catholics don't worship Mary and for you all to be so rigid and judgmental is nuts. Is it possible for you to accept that maybe just maybe you might be misinformed about Catholic practices??

Old 12-04-2009, 06:57 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinkerInTex View Post
Dear Catholics again I meant no harm. I was fascinated and desired to understand the appearances of the Virgin Mother and the Miracles of the sun. The miracle of the dancing sun (1913?) with the three little children was witnessed by over 100,000 people, it was real. Something is always taking place at Medjugorji (gotta to check the spelling) is it righteous is what I am after cause I'd like to go there one day when I get enough courage and see for myself without being blasphemus.
Thank you. No harm taken.
Regarding apparitions;

Several years ago I visted ground zero in New York. Although I was not there on 911, it was a moving experience as I reflected on what must have occurred on that dreadful day. Although, I did not personally experience the events.

I remember early on in my catholic formation being disturbrd by many catholics who appeared to be obsessed with seeking signs. I thought, this world is full of "signs". "Signs" of love, of Gods awesome power, of compassion. Why do these people ignore these and prefer to seek out some bleeding statue.

Not unlike ground zero, the sight of apparations are a place to reflect on an event the Church has determined as valid. In other words at some time, someone had some type of communication with the Divine. And it is for us a validation that God is alive and active in the lives of His children.

Nevertheless, the Church is emphatic to point out that in no way are we required to believe the apparaition, or that acceptance of apparition is in anyway a requirement for our salvation. It was merely an experience of an individual that appears valid.

I live close to emmitsburg maryland, where several years ago a woman claimed to have experienced an apparition of some kind, and evetually thousands of people began attending her talks, until the Church declared the whole affair a fraud and shut it down.

Nevertheless there are those of all generations ( as scripture says ) that will seek signs and wonders.

Personally, they don't edify me. The signs and wonders I seek, are reconciliation, compassion, Love, peace, and the fruits of the spirit.
In these signs, I see a shadow of Christ.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:28 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,195,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
So why don't you just leave and quit insulting the Mother of God.
Hum? All this talk about kindness not very. But hey I expect it. By the way Mary is NOT the mother of God (theotokos) she is the mother of Jesus in the flesh. God has no mother.

Understand I'm not hesitant to say I despise the RCC. For generations my family on my mothers side is RCC we go way back to Ireland I was one for 25 years of my life so it's not just a whim. I know the practices and I know what they are all about. I would to God that all Roman Catholics would come to the knowledge of the truth. I will continue to speak the truth so others will hear.

Now, if that gets me banned or kicked off CD so be it, but I will go with a clear conscience.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Hum? All this talk about kindness not very. But hey I expect it. By the way Mary is NOT the mother of God (theotokos) she is the mother of Jesus in the flesh. God has no mother.

Understand I'm not hesitant to say I despise the RCC. For generations my family on my mothers side is RCC we go way back to Ireland I was one for 25 years of my life so it's not just a whim. I know the practices and I know what they are all about. I would to God that all Roman Catholics would come to the knowledge of the truth. I will continue to speak the truth so others will hear.

Now, if that gets me banned or kicked off CD so be it, but I will go with a clear conscience.
I can understand your feelings. Truely.
Ireland has had more than it's share catholic abuses. And they anger me as well.

If you are saying that declaring Mary as theotokos some how puts Her on par with God, I too don't believe it. That would seem to imply that Mary was a contibuting part of the process. She was passive, albeit cooperating.

I believe the doctrine of Mary ( mother of God ) has more to do with the trinitarian character of our Lord.

If we don't share a belief in the trinity, I really don't want to go down that road.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:16 AM

125 posts, read 301,673 times
Wow Marks! That is a strong stance you have taken after especially with the long famial history. I wonder in your subjective opinion you mentioned "the practices" could you give 3 brief descriptors of some of "the practices" your talking about? Hopefully you will be able to explain a little without offending others (realizing the sensitivity of this issue).

Old 12-04-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:

You know Marks bad treatment at the hands of religion happens in all faiths. I have been reading a forum where folks were treated about as inhumanely as I could ever think by folks who were Christian (not Catholic either) in the name of religion.

There are many many Catholics who are not fanatics. My family are Catholic and in my eyes they are the standard of faith. They have faith and have helped to make this world a better place. They do not judge others and they do not have the belief they are right and all other wrong.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:30 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,559,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
You know Marks bad treatment at the hands of religion happens in all faiths. I have been reading a forum where folks were treated about as inhumanely as I could ever think by folks who were Christian (not Catholic either) in the name of religion.

There are many many Catholics who are not fanatics. My family are Catholic and in my eyes they are the standard of faith. They have faith and have helped to make this world a better place. They do not judge others and they do not have the belief they are right and all other wrong.
That's most of Hollywood you are describing there. That is how you define the standard of faith?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
That's most of Hollywood you are describing there. That is how you define the standard of faith?

I am describing my mother and father not Hollywood. I consider most conservative, evangelical Christians to be a judgmental bunch. When it comes to religion what a person does matters more to me then what they believe. Actions speak louder then words in my book. There are a wide spectrum of Christians and they have a wide range of practices. Who am I to judge because no one can ever know what is in their hearts and only God can.

Last edited by Jazzymom; 12-04-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 12-04-2009, 01:03 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,083,852 times
Quote:

sigh---jesus is GOD--remember the BLESSED TRINITY-----you know the church as your family experienced it--therefore look there for your hatred of catholicism--an easy target when life and family dissapoint--i saw that in action in my ex's irish catholic family--they all turned away but that family knew only catholic rules and skipped over being Christain and and remembering God's love----i hope you rediscover that someday

Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

I am describing my mother and father not Hollywood. I consider most conservative, evangelical Christians to be a judgmental bunch. When it comes to religion what a person does matters more to me then what they believe. Actions speak louder then words in my book. There are a wide spectrum of Christians and they have a wide range of practices. Who am I to judge because no one can ever know what is in their hearts and only God can.
Is it time to reopen the camps Bibles??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.