Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 PM

177 posts, read 381,458 times

Advertisements

Hi there guys.. I was just reading some articles over the web and I was able to read about the Prosperity Gospel.. I just want to check what you guys think about this.....

Prosperity theology is a religious teaching that the Christian God desires material prosperity for those he favors. Prosperity theology proponents promote the idea that God wants Christians to be "abundantly" successful in every way, with special emphasis on financial prosperity.(Wikipedia)

Do you believe in this teaching... ??!!!

Last edited by Pinoy Ako; 05-12-2009 at 05:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:35 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
I believe that God blesses us in many ways, but I don't believe that the emphasis is on material wealth. It's not about having material things. Our focus should be on being transformed into His image, developing the fruits of the spirit. He works in all circumstances to mold us into what He would have us to be. I When we fully trust God, we can be content in all circumstances, like the apostle Paul states:

"...I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am in. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of being filled and of going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 11-12

God bless.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:00 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
No, I don't believe it. John Piper sums up my full beliefs about it in this video.

YouTube - John Piper - Prosperity Gospel: Is it Salt and Light?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:59 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy Ako View Post
Hi there guys.. I was just reading some articles over the web and I was able to read about the Prosperity Gospel.. I just want to check what you guys think about this.....

Prosperity theology is a religious teaching that the Christian God desires material prosperity for those he favors. Prosperity theology proponents promote the idea that God wants Christians to be "abundantly" successful in every way, with special emphasis on financial prosperity.(Wikipedia)

Do you believe in this teaching... ??!!!

Maybe the Martyrs hadn't heard about this 'prosperity theology'
Peter died crucified upside down. Countless brave, mighty men of God were burnt at the stake, thrown to the lions, tortured for Christ and ALL FOR THE JOY THAT WAS SET BEFORE THEM.....they endured, knowing that a crown of victory awaited them in heaven. This earth is not our home. We are just passing through. We are to be lights in this present darkness, salt in a tasteless world. We are fighting against evil....we are to take up our cross....PROSPERITY?!! We are DEAD to ourselves...our PRIDE, our WANTS.....we prosper richly spiritually and God will supply our NEEDS, but this Prosperity Gospel is utter and complete nonsense. A Shame to the Lord and a slap in the face to the men and women of courage and faith who went before us - and strove to spread the gospel at the price of their lives and their personal comfort.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:11 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,981 times
When you read in Thes..."when you encounter various trials"..and the hint is that you will...we need to realize that God allows us in certain circumstances for a reason. Maybe He knows as believers how we will handle that, we learn from that. I see many friends, as Christians, who are very successful but use their gifts and talents for God's work. My dad gives away about 30% of what he has. He's 88 now and sees those gifts and possessions as things that God can use for the glory of the Kingdom.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:31 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
I gave all the responders rep points so far b/c you all make great points - liked the John Piper clip a lot! The bottom line is, God is far more concerned about our character than our comfort. Does he allow some of His followers to be wealthy, absolutely, just remember though, to whom much is given, much is required. And to begin with, almost every American is "rich" by the world's standards. If I remember right, if your household makes >$35,000/year, you are in the top 8% of the world!

I totally agree w/John Piper though, it is almost like blasphemy to me that a preacher would say if you become a Christian you will have the easy life and that God will bless you financially. Jesus didn't die for us to be rich and live in million dollar homes, he died b/c we are all lost and dying in our sin, and needed a savior! Jesus said repeatedly that if you follow Him, you are going to face trials & persecution in this world. So to preach this garbage as the gospel is flat-out lying! It's not always easy, there are times you are going to suffer for walking w/Christ b/c it's counter to what the world says.

So please, don't give your life to Christ b/c some preacher says He will bless you and if you plant a $100 or $1000 seed, it will come back 10 times to you. Come to Christ b/c there is a void in your life caused by sin, and w/out Him, we are all doomed for eternity and b/c He offers you fulfilling life now by giving you hope and purpose.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:41 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
I should add, that I'm not saying we are supposed to walk around all defeated and just be content living in poverty all of our lives. God wants us to be confident - Phil. 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me." But the biggest problem w/the prosperity gospel is it so focused on an earthly perspective and therefore having blessings here on earth. But we are supposed to have an eternal perspective b/c we are all going to spend far more time on the other side of death than we are now, and Jesus preached 'to store up treasures in heaven where moth & rust don't destroy.'

So yes, God wants us to be confident in Him and w/that success, but it has to have the right motives behind it, if it's all about making as much money as you can, as Piper said, that's what the world is all about and there is no transformation there.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:31 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Jesus promised us comfort in our sufferings. He did not promise a comfortable life.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:02 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,554 times
To me the prosperity gospel is the height of hypocracy. I'm not saying God doesn't allow us to be rich, but to whom much is given, much will be expected. Live comfortably, yes, but stay humble. If I see excess riches going into multiple million dollar homes and private yachts/jets instead of to charity and good causes, I'm going to really question the sincerity of your faith!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:14 PM

319 posts, read 1,463,368 times
I believe the words in Psalm ONE !! (the most important psalm)

I have a bit of testimony concerning this - something is at work in my life that is . just not natural.. !! some ONE else .... interffering with my life so to speak.

FIRST YOU HAVE TO READ the six sentences in psalm one.. to see what GOD says..

Notice the PROMISES... .. !! Meditate on those words.. !! and think about who wrote them.. (God HIMSELF).

For some unknown reason, I have survived 6 heart attacks, 3 strokes, I lost 90% of my eye sight with my last stroke in 2003.. They would not medivac me to the hospital.. ! what did I do ?? I danced.. shouted hooray! I know I will see again.. because I believe God's words.. the doctors said I was in denial.. 3 months later I have 85% of my sight restored.

If you take God at his word, and thank him for ALL THINGS in your life.. (give thanks in all things for thie is the will of God concerning YOU).

THEN YOU WILL SEE THE MIGHTY HAND OF GOD.. in yur life in ways you never ever expected !!

Jesus said (emphasis mine) My people can have anything they want (matthew 7: 7) (ask and you shall receive).

BUT INSTEAD... .. they keep saying what they have !!!!!

wake up people !!! YOU Tube is not the place to find out the mind and heart of GOD..

you are weak, because ye lack spiritual food !!! READ GOD'S WORD !!

YOU TUBE ?? chuckle !! I much rather sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to HIS WORDS.!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity