U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,548,929 times

Advertisements

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11302401-post1.html

The last one went pretty well, but every foundation needs to be tested, right?

I feel the biggest cause for disagreement among believers is a lack of communication/understanding, but beyond that:

1. Believers can be on the same path, but at different stages of growth.

2. As a believer grows in the Lord, his/her understanding of the Lord's ways will increase.

3. More grace is given to some, than others.

4. The walk the Lord has chosen for some may differ from that of others. One group may experience Him in a way that the other group has not.

5. Those who have received more/less grace may disagree on points with others who have/have not received the same grace.

This set isn't as important as the first set, but the world's getting a mixed message because of Agree/Disagree II.

What think thee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 10:59 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,640,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

2. As a believer grows in the Lord, his/her understanding of the Lord's ways will increase.

4. The walk the Lord has chosen for some may differ from that of others. One group may experience Him in a way that the other group has not.

5. Those who have received more/less grace may disagree on points with others who have/have not received the same grace.

What think thee?
1. As long as that path is Jesus Christ of the Bible.

3. Hum? "more grace"? You might want to explain this one. The grace of salvation is the same for all those called to Christ.

5. Hum? We are not supposed to. (Romans 12:16; 1 Corinthians 1:10; Philippians 2:2; 3:16; 4:2; 1 Peter 4:1)

Old 12-05-2009, 11:04 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,130,754 times
Quote:

I feel the biggest cause for disagreement among believers is a lack of communication/understanding, but beyond that:

This set isn't as important as the first set, but the world's getting a mixed message because of Agree/Disagree II.

What think thee?
I agree with them all. It's the soul condition that portrays the real person. When we can't let people walk their own path, we are not living in the light of God. Being Love to each other is the most enlightened way to be in the world without being of it. When we judge others, we are only judging ourselves and leaves no room for love to enter our souls.

Last edited by Reverend1111; 12-05-2009 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-05-2009, 11:39 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,548,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
3. Hum? "more grace"? You might want to explain this one. The grace of salvation is the same for all those called to Christ.
There is a manifold grace given to all (Titus 2:11), but to say that all believers have received the same is contradicted by scripture: He giveth more grace (James 4:6) to those in temptation, grace for ministry (Eph 3:7), and to the level in which it is needed, sufficient grace (2 Cor 12:9).

All this is taken literally from scripture, but I believe that the most basic definition of grace is the presence of God in time of need, at the point we need it. Because we grow in grace and the knowledge of Him (2 Peter 3:18), it's evident that one may be further along than the next, without blame - a second grader is not at fault if he/she is not as far along in knowledge as a teenager, for instance - but each is expected to continue on from their place.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:25 PM

1,959 posts, read 4,640,493 times
Quote:
There is a manifold grace given to all (Titus 2:11), but to say that all believers have received the same is contradicted by scripture: He giveth more grace (James 4:6) to those in temptation, grace for ministry (Eph 3:7), and to the level in which it is needed, sufficient grace (2 Cor 12:9).

All this is taken literally from scripture, but I believe that the most basic definition of grace is the presence of God in time of need, at the point we need it. Because we grow in grace and the knowledge of Him (2 Peter 3:18), it's evident that one may be further along than the next, without blame - a second grader is not at fault if he/she is not as far along in knowledge as a teenager, for instance - but each is expected to continue on from their place.
Ok, I would agree with that.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:27 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,383,615 times
Quote:

What think thee?
I disagreed on the first one (Agree/Disagree I) and agree with these five...

Interesting isn't it?

I find no fault with any of those five things.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:41 PM

702 posts, read 844,157 times
I think you could add a rule I have held for many years described in the autobiography of Charles Finney:

CONFORM TO INCREASING LIGHT AS RAPIDLY AS POSSIBLE.

Many have long ago buried their choice to be accepted by the religious people around them rather than take up their cross to follow Jesus the Light of the world. (Yes, it costs everything.)

Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,958,358 times
If Christ is truely a "lamp unto our feet", then I believe we Christians who are stumbling in the dark, need only to concern ourselves with the next step.

Appears to me, most dissension on this forum, and among Christians in general, is when we take our eye off Christ, stumble, and loose our way.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:23 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,115,922 times
Quote:

What think thee?
That's the way God handles his business with men and I'm quite sure He has a good reason and purpose for doing it....AMEN!!!

Old 12-06-2009, 03:13 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,357,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
1. As long as that path is Jesus Christ of the Bible.

5. Hum? We are not supposed to. (Romans 12:16; 1 Corinthians 1:10; Philippians 2:2; 3:16; 4:2; 1 Peter 4:1)
I have to agree with Marks about #3 & #5 as I agree with you and Marks on the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or