Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:00 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Well you can take the negative if you like but I like to look at all the good done during the season. Billions are raised by charities and billions are given to needy people.
I don't find anything negative about Christmas (except maybe the crazies in stores who will run over others to get what they want off the shelf)...I absolutely love Christmas...all the lights....cookies....cakes....presents...etc.

And while there is alot of giving during Christmastime....I wonder why it isn't done all year long as it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:03 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I don't find anything negative about Christmas (except maybe the crazies in stores who will run over others to get what they want off the shelf)...I absolutely love Christmas...all the lights....cookies....cakes....presents...etc.

And while there is alot of giving during Christmastime....I wonder why it isn't done all year long as it should be.
I did find one negative thing about Christmas,,,,,,the 3-5 new pounds I discover on me afterwards!!!!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I did find one negative thing about Christmas,,,,,,the 3-5 new pounds I discover on me afterwards!!!!
Actually...mine is a little closer to 10 (3 months of indulging tends to widen the hips)...but then again...that is what New Years Resolutions are all about!!!!!!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:03 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

FYI...contrary to popular belief....Jesus wasn't born December 25th.
Who didn't know this?

BTW, isn't it a bit early for Christmas threads?

It also amazes me how this nearly year old thread got resurrected, so to speak, just to post what should have been a new thread, and then to never be heard from again. Sean, are you there?

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-26-2010 at 06:24 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 08:10 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
As a Christian the only time I am celebrating Jesus is on Christmas, the rest of the season it is an enjoyable festive time.
So you really don't care if Wachovia puts decorations up or not or whether or not a business owner requests his employees to say "Happy Holidays" to patrons rather than "Merry Christmas" so as to avoid being unknowingly insensitive to non-Christians? To you, it is just a festive time, so I could wish you Happy Festivus and you'd be fine with it? Good for you! I think it is absurd the way some Moderator cut: deleted Christians get whipped into a frenzy by Focus on the Family and Fox News about the alleged "War on Christmas". What War on Christmas? When I am prevented from attending my church's Christmas Eve service, then I will believe there is a War on Christmas. So far, that has not happened.

Some Christians are starting to get wise. The War on Christmas frenzy on Fox peaked in 2005 and has been declining since, but Focus on the Family makes an annual thing of it.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-26-2010 at 09:31 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 08:15 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
I do like Christmas decorations - but I have to admit that it makes me really happy when I also see decorations for the holidays of other faiths displayed as well. It gives me that warm, fuzzy, peace on earth kind of feeling! And I do generally like saying "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" because you just never know what faith a person is!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I do like Christmas decorations - but I have to admit that it makes me really happy when I also see decorations for the holidays of other faiths displayed as well. It gives me that warm, fuzzy, peace on earth kind of feeling! And I do generally like saying "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" because you just never know what faith a person is!
Good point Dewdrop93...it's the intent that counts.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:24 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,037 times
[quote=hilgi;15600591]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

I understand you don't like it but most of what you don't like are pagan or non-Christian traditions. What does Santa, Trees, candy canes, lights, bows, etc have to do with Jesus?

I know a ton of non or not practicing Christians that love it, enjoy it for what it is, not what you associate it with.
None of that stuff is Christian, that is why I find it so distasteful for Moderator cut: deleted Christians to get so worked up over whether or not some bank or department store took down decorations or put up the wrong ones or requested employees to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". What does any of that have to do with the birth of Christ?

As a Christian, I consider the overwhelming commercialization of Christmas very offensive. Go ahead and enjoy the candy canes if you want. I just wish all that was even LESS associated with Christmas. I would like to see Christmas (real Christmas) to be removed entirely from the commercial arena, which puts me completely on the opposite side of the spectrum from Focus on the Family!

Last edited by june 7th; 08-26-2010 at 09:32 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 08:46 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Just for the record:

June, little heathen that she is, has no problem with Christmas decorations in stores. She rather enjoys them. (Holiday spirit, and all that.)

As well, June has no problem reading threads about Christmas while blasting the air conditioning on her 'just June' self in order to combat the humidity of August....Viva la Christmas season.

Let it snow.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:04 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
So you really don't care if Wachovia puts decorations up or not or whether or not a business owner requests his employees to say "Happy Holidays" to patrons rather than "Merry Christmas" so as to avoid being unknowingly insensitive to non-Christians? To you, it is just a festive time, so I could wish you Happy Festivus and you'd be fine with it? Good for you! I think it is absurd the way some Moderator cut: deleted Christians get whipped into a frenzy by Focus on the Family and Fox News about the alleged "War on Christmas". What War on Christmas? When I am prevented from attending my church's Christmas Eve service, then I will believe there is a War on Christmas. So far, that has not happened.

Some Christians are starting to get wise. The War on Christmas frenzy on Fox peaked in 2005 and has been declining since, but Focus on the Family makes an annual thing of it.
I don't think it is a smart business decision for Wachovia to do that, turn off the majority to placate the minority, not smart. I just think people need to lighten up, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, whatever you want to say is fine, I'll always reply Merry Christmas because Christmas is the holiday most of the celebration is about.

I have a last name that is German but many confuse as Jewish, I get a lot of Happy (fill in the dozens of Jewish holidays here), it doesn't offend me, I am happy people are celebrating something.

The majority of Americans celebrate Christmas, I am not going to walk on egg shells worrying that wishing someone a Christian holiday with Pagan roots, celebrated with a federal holiday is going to offend them, people need to lighten up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity