Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 PM

145 posts, read 224,624 times

Advertisements

in our Wachovia bank. A teller told me, after I commented on the nice Christmas decorations, that they were told to take them all down. I asked why and she said it was coming from Corporate - no more Christmas decorations. Anyone else ever hear of anything like this? (other than mangers outside public buildings) I guess all the stores remove decorations, too, and maybe we should stop buying gifts? I'm supposing it's offending non-Christians and non-believers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 12:25 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Research the origins of Christmas, and you'll help them pull them down.

Quote:
Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:

Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good. (Jer 10:1-5)

Old 12-08-2009, 12:27 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo View Post
in our Wachovia bank. A teller told me, after I commented on the nice Christmas decorations, that they were told to take them all down. I asked why and she said it was coming from Corporate - no more Christmas decorations. Anyone else ever hear of anything like this? (other than mangers outside public buildings) I guess all the stores remove decorations, too, and maybe we should stop buying gifts? I'm supposing it's offending non-Christians and non-believers?
I think it was at Michigan State University, in the hallway or waiting room of the administration building were Christmas decorations and a Jewish professor I believe (it was a long time ago) took up issue with the decorations citing "separartion of church and state".....It was thrown out of court, the judge said and I quote, "Christmas decorations have nothing to do with Christianity" Takes a judge to figure that out.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-08-2009 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 12:32 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Research the origins of Christmas, and you'll help them pull them down.
Isn't that sort of legalistic? Christmas is between the individual and the Holy Spirit...is it not?

Old 12-08-2009, 12:44 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo View Post
You should make new decorations out of dollar bills so it will be more "appropriate" to a hollow, profit oriented institution.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
Report them here!!!!

http://standforchristmas.com

Oh Irony Oh Irony
Your Crazy Website Delights Me

My favorite so far:

"If Best Buy will not acknowledge the true reason for the seasons (CHRISTmas) they will not be getting my $$. If they are too ashamed and offended by the true celebration to the point that they will not display it, then they should not be profiting from us."

2 cocktails to you fine sir!

Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Standing for Christ, or Christmas?

They appear to clash, imo.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:13 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,787 times
So they put them up only to be taken down? I would think that they would have sent a inter office or corperate wide memo BEFORE the branches started decorating discouraging them from it. It's a private company and really they can do whatever they want. Again, we will see more of this years from now.

As I've said before we don't celebrate it (check out Christmas: an Oxymoron) so we have no problem with it.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:16 PM

163 posts, read 215,317 times
Thank you for the ref. to Jeremiah. One might say Christmas is heathen at its worst and a Catholic concoction at it's best.
However you will note the verse says, neither is it in it to do good or bad. So, what think ye ? ? ?

Old 12-08-2009, 01:17 PM

353 posts, read 905,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Isn't that sort of legalistic? Christmas is between the individual and the Holy Spirit...is it not?
I detest how the desire to be holy is often met with cries of legalism.

Legalism is when someone is telling you to do something that God did not tell you do to. Abstaining from the appearance of evil, avoiding worship that is based in pagan practices, and separating from the world don't fall into that category. It falls into the category of obeying God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity