U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:41 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,529,046 times

Advertisements

I cannot seem to find any Biblical reference anywhere of vows being made in marriage in the King James Bible.
There is a hint of it here:

Proverbs 31:1The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him. 2What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?

But it is vague since the vows could be regarding the raising of her son. One can do a word search at Bible Gateway and not fnd vow and marriage or vow and marry together at all. When one does a word search on vow, the above verses are the only thing that comes close, but it cannot mean marriage vows since it is of the mother regarding her son.

Have mankind added to God's covenant of marriage with unnecessary boasts of the flesh to love one another for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, and in sickness and in health till death do them part?

If we look at the covenant of marriage and see what God does:

Mark 10: 5And Jesus answered and said .... 6But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. 7For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; 8And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. 9What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. ... have mankind become vain by adding boastful vows of love?

1 Corinthians 13:4Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Oh, I admit to being swooned by the lovely words of Shania Twain as she sang her song, "From This Moment On" which is a combination of hers and her first husband's wedding vows spliced together in forming that song, but as much as I had watched that music video and seeing her sing it that I could believe those words, the reality is, she is divorced and has another man as an interest in her life.

So the reality of the situation is: have we become religious in our marriage that it is susceptible to failure? Could that be the reasons for the many divorces today?

Back around the year 1994, a believer in Jesus Christ was asked by the parents of the girl he wanted to marry to make a commitment to follow Christ before he got permission to marry their daughter. He did. Three months after the marriage, the believer complained that he dod everything he could to please his wife, and she is off having that consoling relationship with another man... the same man I heard that girl talked about in passing by her one day at work about how she felt sorry for him and how much he needed her. By His grace, I stopped and reminded her about her engagement. She agreed and informed me that she knew all about commitments and trailed off to whatever she was mumbling in lower volume in saying that I had nothing to worry about. Well, that marriage is over.. as she went on to marry another as the believer did as well; much to my trying to correct them both by the Word of God to come back together again after praying and fasting, but the rug got pulled out from ministering any further when the senior pastor brown-nosed to the popular and the rich by preaching that it was not an unforgiveable sin to get a divorce:

The same preacher who seemed to have much confidence in the Promise Keepers' program to get men where they belong in the home, church, and community.

So not only are religious prideful men and women are making man-made bondages in God's covenant of marriage, but they are adding to God's New Covenant in living the christian life by the flesh as well.

Sometimes believers need to take a step back and relook at what God has done before thinking about adding anything to it, and walk humbly before their God.

I mean, really. Marriage vows has not proven to keep a couple together anymore than the commitment to follow Christ can help a believer follow Jesus.

Marriage is God's idea: not man's. Does anyone think that if two homosexuals or two lesbians get married legally in the USA, that God has joined them together by their vows? Certainly not.

So neither is there a necessity for marriage vows when God is the One joining them together, male and female, as one flesh.

And neither does God have any confidence in the flesh for any believer to live the christian life by keeping that commitmeent to follow Him because when we came to Jesus Christ for salvation, we are saved by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ as we are to live by that same faith by the grace of God in living that christian life also, thus just shall live by faith as we are known as the children of God by faith in Jesus Christ to be witesses of the Good News to man: Galatians 3:26 Galatians 2:20-21

Brings the whole meaning to ... Galatians 5:1 John 6:28-29 Philippians 1:6

Last edited by Enow; 12-12-2009 at 03:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 07:48 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,487,341 times
People marry each other.
People can write their own vows.
the vows are a means to share in a very open and fresh manner what you give your heart to do from now on.

The vow is not just a bunch a silly words, it can form the very heart of a marriage.
it's all up to the boy and girl as to what weight they put on their wedding vows.

If you are not into vows?.no big deal.
But if you are like me, and value your wedding vows, then it is very good to go back and read them again from time to time...
It helps us return our hearts to the things that we based our lives around.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:44 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,641,664 times
Yes they are. Amen

Old 12-13-2009, 04:29 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
There is a 'vow' in the book of Ruth.

The only marriage ceremony in the Bible is also in Ruth.

Many of our customs today come from that ceremony. If read in the Hebrew more of the details of the ceremony come to life.

However the 'vow' that is recorded in Ruth, was not said to Boaz, rather Ruth said the 'vow' to Naomi.

And that vow was used by my Dw in our wedding.

Quote:
Ruth 1:16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:
:17 Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
There is a 'vow' in the book of Ruth.

The only marriage ceremony in the Bible is also in Ruth.

Many of our customs today come from that ceremony. If read in the Hebrew more of the details of the ceremony come to life.

However the 'vow' that is recorded in Ruth, was not said to Boaz, rather Ruth said the 'vow' to Naomi.

And that vow was used by my Dw in our wedding.
There is a difference between "Ruth said" and "Ruth vowed".

Being how God has made you both one flesh in the covenant of marriage which is His idea, not man's, adding that vow would seem to be a type of vanity, meaning... it isn't necessary since the same God that joined you two as one doesn't need that kind of a vow to it on the part of your dw.

If love is not boastful nor proud, and is simply is, may God help us to see that, so there will be one more thing we can thank Him for: the love you have for one another since love is a fruit of the Spirit and love is of God.

No vow can make that happen. Only God can empower a couple to love each other through sickness or in health.. for richer or for poorer.. for better or for worse... till death do them part since they are man and wife irregardless of the lack of love between them, thus when such occurences arises, they can look to the One to supply the love they need and not judge one another for failing to love one another thus failing to keep that vow... and mayhap avoid giving the devil opportunity to tempt them for a divorce... keeping a record of wrongs that does not have anything to do with adultery.

Just voicing my concern and am glad to see that the two of you are still together by the grace of God.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:19 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
There is a difference between "Ruth said" and "Ruth vowed".

Being how God has made you both one flesh in the covenant of marriage which is His idea, not man's, adding that vow would seem to be a type of vanity, meaning... it isn't necessary since the same God that joined you two as one doesn't need that kind of a vow to it on the part of your dw.

If love is not boastful nor proud, and is simply is, may God help us to see that, so there will be one more thing we can thank Him for: the love you have for one another since love is a fruit of the Spirit and love is of God.

No vow can make that happen. Only God can empower a couple to love each other through sickness or in health.. for richer or for poorer.. for better or for worse... till death do them part since they are man and wife irregardless of the lack of love between them, thus when such occurences arises, they can look to the One to supply the love they need and not judge one another for failing to love one another thus failing to keep that vow... and mayhap avoid giving the devil opportunity to tempt them for a divorce... keeping a record of wrongs that does not have anything to do with adultery.

Just voicing my concern and am glad to see that the two of you are still together by the grace of God.
We were married 12 Dec 1981 and still together.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We were married 12 Dec 1981 and still together.
Yay!! Praise the Lord Jesus Christ for that!!

But I still think of Shania Twain and her first marriage.. and so... my sights have been lifted higher to God for that love. Jesus will never disappoint.

I'm single and staying that way due to outside elements which are beyond my control. I am looking to the Lord Jesus Christ to deliver me & soon.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:46 PM

News reports have Shania Twain's husband cheating on her with a close friend.
In such a situation you are very correct in divorcing such a bum

Old 12-13-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
News reports have Shania Twain's husband cheating on her with a close friend.
In such a situation you are very correct in divorcing such a bum
Still, did you know that the song Shania Twain sang "From This Moment", was both parts of their wedding vows?

Still a little disheartening...

I know it is not fair to refer to Shania Twain in regards to that topic without some reference to the famous song that was the combination of their weddings vows, and so I apologize for the lack of clarity.

When I saw that music video, I cannot believe her marriage was over. All that love declared in a promise.. and poof.

I noticed on the internet that the woman denied the affair and so is the jury still out or what? Never mind.

My point is the song and how watching that video, how blessed any man would be in marrying her by the words that came out of her mouth, but yet.... such is the case of mankind in a fallen world.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post

When I saw that music video, I cannot believe her marriage was over. All that love declared in a promise.. and poof.
You can be a great wife, you can do all the right things, say all the right words, pray all the right prayers, and still end up married to a guy who cheats on you.

The fact is that none of us can change someone else.
My wedding vows are not kept for me by anyone.
My wife cant keep my wedding vows for me no matter how hard she tries.

Only I can keep my wedding vows, and I can only do this one day at a time, one moment at a time...

So you cant blame the wedding vows, nor can you blame the wife who gets cheated on for the failed husband.

Seeking a divorce because you married some who cheated on you is allowed in the Bible...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity