U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 04:59 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,002,074 times

Advertisements

I used to believe that Jewish converts still needed water baptism first before they could receive the promise of the Holy Ghost, but I have now, by His grace, come more in the knowledge of Him.

1 Corinthians 1:11For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. 12Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 13Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? 14I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 15Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. 16And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. 17For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Acts 10:42And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead. 43To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Here the Gentiles had received the Holy Spirit before water baptism.

Remember how it was before for the Jews to get the remission of sins?

Mark 1:3The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. 4John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. 5And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

As John the Baptist prepared the way of the Lord by water baptism for the remission of sins for the Jews, so can we see how Jesus is the Way for the remission of sins for the Gospel's sake as He will baptize with the Holy Ghost.

So when Peter bore witness of Jesus Christ to the Jews, the implementation was still the same for the Jews to receive the remission of sins by water baptism but as it was done in Jesus' name, they had received the promise of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 2:37Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.

So when the Gentiles were receiving the Holy Ghost before water baptism, it was because by believing in Jesus, they had received the remission of sins.

So that is why Paul was not sent to baptize, but to preach the Gospel to the Gentiles for as many has believed in Him, they have received remission of sins and the promise of the Holy Ghost.

Are any future Jewish converts under the requirement of water baptism in Jesus' name for the remission of sins? Is the Lord's hand short that it cannot save?

Romans 10: 12For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

If water is available for baptism, they can do it if they want to, but Jesus has saved them. Water baptism need not be exalted as a hope for salvation. Jesus is our hope. Jesus is the Saviour even for the Jews that call on Him. His hand is not short that He cannot save if no water was present at the conversion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:39 PM

6,948 posts, read 7,355,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
If water is available for baptism, they can do it if they want to, but Jesus has saved them. Water baptism need not be exalted as a hope for salvation. Jesus is our hope. Jesus is the Saviour even for the Jews that call on Him. His hand is not short that He cannot save if no water was present at the conversion.
Exactly - water baptism is a public acknowledgment of what is to be a spiritual reality in the believer's life - a dying of the old man and the resurrection to new life in Christ. While water baptism is more or less a vow to others (and God) that this is what you desire to become, it's the spiritual journey with Him that is important.

imo.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:17 PM

9,590 posts, read 5,315,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Exactly - water baptism is a public acknowledgment of what is to be a spiritual reality in the believer's life - a dying of the old man and the resurrection to new life in Christ. While water baptism is more or less a vow to others (and God) that this is what you desire to become, it's the spiritual journey with Him that is important.

imo.
Amen...

Old 12-13-2009, 11:09 AM

2,529 posts, read 2,636,073 times

Mark 16:16...He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

I Peter 3:21...The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Acts 22:16...And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Romans 6:3-4...Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Acts 2:38...Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

1 Cor 12:12-13...For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Gal 3:27...For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:12 PM

2,933 posts, read 2,206,262 times
Mat 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Mat 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
Mat 3:9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
Mat 3:10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

It seems to me that there is a corrolation between the physical and the spiritual ---------This portion of scripture seems to me to say that water baptism is the physical symbol of the physical wrath that was coming to the physical Jews in 70AD ------ the antitype is baptised with the Holy Spirit through Jesus bringing forth the fruits of the Spirit and being saved from the wrath of the second death.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:25 PM

21,881 posts, read 28,716,100 times
The old water baptism was superseded by spirit baptism.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:19 PM

6,948 posts, read 7,355,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Amen

Old 12-13-2009, 06:36 PM

12,406 posts, read 15,055,578 times
John the Baptist baptized with water..
On the day of Pentecost, when the church was established Christ baptizes members of his body with the Holy spirit, as he promised the disciples just before his arrest..

Water baptism , imo, is the expression of a new member in the body of Christ that He has accepted Him..

IMO, the importance of it depends on the individuals personal beliefs about it..

Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM

11,719 posts, read 4,523,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I agree - as Jesus stated...

Acts 1:5 -
for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 PM

21,881 posts, read 28,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I agree - as Jesus stated...

Acts 1:5 -
for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.
As John prepared the way for Jesus, the lesser was over shadowed by the greater.

So did John's lesser baptism become over shadowed by the greater baptism of Christ-in-you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity