U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:43 PM

988 posts, read 1,487,457 times

Advertisements

[quote=Enow;12045666]
Quote:
Now see? You had asked for a concise answer and yet you went on to give the answer of No and expounded on it by which proves that I had understood your question and answered rightly the first time.

Perhaps you could explain how you could be correct when you said: "YES a person could receive the Holy Spirit if he had not repented" when the Biblcial answer is NO?

Do you really think you are fooling anybody? Your response is exactly as I predicted.

HK

Jesus: "If you would enter life keep the commandments"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 10:50 PM

21,812 posts, read 11,428,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Can someone receive the Holy Spirit if they have not repented of sin?

HK
You can't have true repentance without the Spirit. You can't have the Spirit without believing in/being baptized into Jesus Christ.

Eph. 1:13-14, Acts 2:38-29, John 7:38-39

Old 12-16-2009, 07:26 AM

4,131 posts, read 4,055,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You can't have true repentance without the Spirit. You can't have the Spirit without believing in/being baptized into Jesus Christ.

That is my precise point of this thread. A sinner who comes to Jesus with godly sorrow is drawn by the Spirit, and this person receives a measure of the Holy Spirit. As one walks in the Light, then the blood of Jesus cleanses him/her from all sin.

However, there is more -- the baptism of the Holy Spirit; this is the Holy Ghost and fire from Heaven. It will take this baptism for the Holy Ghost to dwell within a person; the third Person of the Trinity is setting up His abode inside of a holy vessel. He will not dwell within an unclean person.

And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him. - Acts 5:32

Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 AM

10,233 posts, read 7,555,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC

AMEN....^!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
That is my precise point of this thread. A sinner who comes to Jesus with godly sorrow is drawn by the Spirit, and this person receives a measure of the Holy Spirit. As one walks in the Light, then the blood of Jesus cleanses him/her from all sin.

However, there is more -- the baptism of the Holy Spirit; this is the Holy Ghost and fire from Heaven. It will take this baptism for the Holy Ghost to dwell within a person; the third Person of the Trinity is setting up His abode inside of a holy vessel. He will not dwell within an unclean person.

And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him. - Acts 5:32
And another....AMEN ^ !!!

Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 AM

5,261 posts, read 5,851,638 times
Quote:
"...As one walks in the Light, then the blood of Jesus cleanses him/her from all sin.

..."...As one walks in the light, then the blood of Jesus cleanses...from all sin..."...

..."...He will not dwell within an unclean person..."...

...It will take this baptism for the Holy Ghost to dwell within a person..."...

..."...HE WILL NOT DWELL WITHIN AN UNCLEAN
PERSON...!"...

..."...HE WILL NOT DWELL WITHIN AN UNCLEAN PERSON...!"...

...anyone who thinks that they abide in God, and God abides in them if they do not keep the Ten Commandments is nothing short of deceived, and if you tell others anything different you are walking on thin ice...you can't have it both ways people!...to think so, and to proclaim such, proves nothing except that you are "wishy-washy" at best...moved by every wave of FALSE doctrine...riding the fence...lukewarm...an unbeliever in God's Word...a false teacher...and He will "spew" you out of His mouth...(translation: puke you out... violently!)

I'll stand upon the Living, Breathing Word of God...

1 John 3:24 And he that keepeth His Commandments dwelleth in Him, and He in him: and hereby we know that that He abideth in us, by the Spirit which He hath given us.

1 John 3: 8 He that committeth sin, is of the devil...

9 Whosoever is born of God, doth not commit sin: for His seed remaineth in him, and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

It either is or isn't...you either do or you don't!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Gramm as I understand it the Holy Spirit prepares the vessel for Jesus to come and dwell in it. Jesus will not dwell in a heart that is in bondage to sin.

The word "baptism" means to wash or clean. That is the work of the indwelling Holy Spirit - to wash us with the water of the word of God - from head to toe. That is the Baptism of fire by the Holy Spirit you described.

Paul described this process in Ephesians 3

Eph 3:14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ...

Eph 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

Eph 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love...

When we repent we receive the Holy Spirit to be strengthened so that Christ may come to dwell in our hearts.

As you say Gramm - it is a process.

HK

Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ,** IF** we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

Old 12-16-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
..."...As one walks in the light, then the blood of Jesus cleanses...from all sin..."...

..."...He will not dwell within an unclean person..."...

...It will take this baptism for the Holy Ghost to dwell within a person..."...

..."...HE WILL NOT DWELL WITHIN AN UNCLEAN
PERSON...!"...

..."...HE WILL NOT DWELL WITHIN AN UNCLEAN PERSON...!"...

...anyone who thinks that they abide in God, and God abides in them if they do not keep the Ten Commandments is nothing short of deceived, and if you tell others anything different you are walking on thin ice...you can't have it both ways people!...to think so, and to proclaim such, proves nothing except that you are "wishy-washy" at best...moved by every wave of FALSE doctrine...riding the fence...lukewarm...an unbeliever in God's Word...a false teacher...and He will "spew" you out of His mouth...(translation: puke you out... violently!)

I'll stand upon the Living, Breathing Word of God...

1 John 3:24 And he that keepeth His Commandments dwelleth in Him, and He in him: and hereby we know that that He abideth in us, by the Spirit which He hath given us.

1 John 3: 8 He that committeth sin, is of the devil...

9 Whosoever is born of God, doth not commit sin: for His seed remaineth in him, and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

It either is or isn't...you either do or you don't!

I agree Verna - it is not complicated. The Bible says that those who commit willful sin are not children of God. Satan says they are....

HK

Old 12-16-2009, 12:40 PM

21,812 posts, read 11,428,605 times
Quote:
I'm glad we agree.

Quote:
This I don't agree. Receiving the Spirit and being baptized with the Spirit are synonomous. The fire refers to the judgment seat of Christ. All who have been baptized with the Spirit will go through this.

Quote:

2 Thess. 1:8 -
dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

Obeying Him is obeying the gospel - believe in it for eternal life.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:05 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,437,907 times
[quote=Harold Kupp;12046772]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post

Perhaps you could explain how you could be correct when you said: "YES a person could receive the Holy Spirit if he had not repented" when the Biblcial answer is NO?

Do you really think you are fooling anybody? Your response is exactly as I predicted.

HK

Jesus: "If you would enter life keep the commandments"
To repent of unbelief is what is required if one is to believe.

Sinners calling for the Saviour to save them from their bondage to sin and to death as well as for eternal life is the full joy of salvation.

Sinners looking to themselves to stop sinning first by repenting from their sins is like saying we can keep the law anyway and therefore we do not need the Saviour to save us from our sins.

You are only fooling yourself if you think that one has to keep the law first before they can receive the Holy Spirit because, Harold, you are still keeping the sabbath holy and therefore you are not done yet keeping the sabbath before you can have the Holy Ghost in according to your beliefs.

Psalm 119: 126It is time for thee, LORD, to work: for they have made void thy law.

John 14: 6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Ephesians 1: 11In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 15Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

It is absolutely clear by the scriptures above how one receives the promise of the Holy Spirit... and that is by faith in Jesus Christ. John 14:6 is the law of God to obey in order to receive the promise of the Spirit, and it is by faith in Jesus Christ.

That means to repent of unbelief by believing in Jesus Christ. That is the answer of a good conscience towards God where no man can boast.

And you are boasting, Harold Kupp.

Have you posted on the internet on the sabbath day that requires people to provide you the means to do so by working?

Have you gone shopping on the sabbath?

Have you eaten out on the sabbath?

Have you gotten gas for your car on the sabbath?

Have you made phone calls on the sabbath?

Then you have broken the sabbath because you are an accomplice to the sins that you see others committing. You are re-enforcing the demands of their employers to meet the needs of the consumers.

The moment you stop looking to the justification by the law and look at what it really means to believe in Jesus, then by His grace only, will it be the moment you understand the power of God in salvation through Jesus Christ: Our Passover Lamb.

Man had their chance at the law, and failed: God's chosen people, of all people, had failed the keeping of the law.

Now it is God's turn. This is His glory as Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath also.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 PM

4,131 posts, read 4,055,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This I don't agree. Receiving the Spirit and being baptized with the Spirit are synonomous. The fire refers to the judgment seat of Christ. All who have been baptized with the Spirit will go through this.
So, you feel that God has changed His method of sending the gift of the Holy Ghost? The 120 received this precious gift in a different way than we do today? If so, what scripture can you provide that proves the method has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity