Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 02:56 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The same day, when the even was come, He saith unto them, "Let us pass over unto the other side." And when they had sent away the multitude, they took Him even as He was in the ship. And there were also with Him other little ships.

There arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full. And He was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: And they awake Him, and say unto him, "Master, carest thou not that we perish?"

He arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, "Peace, be still." And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. He then said unto them, "Why are ye so fearful? How is it that ye have no faith?" And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, "What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?" (Mark 35:41)
I'm sure we've all gone through times in our lives when things are going downhill, specifically when they effect a family member or loved one. When you see the Lord working - or even a "reap what you sow" scenario unfolding - it's can be hard to watch others hurting. My question is not whether we stop loving or caring, but at what point do we appear (or even feel) to be callous or dead to the affairs around us?

Quote:
If any man come to Me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.
And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after Me, cannot be My disciple. (Luke 14:26-27)
"Hate" I believe, is meant to denote a lack of connection in comparison with our allegiance to Him; our willingness to put them on the altar. When we die to the ties that keep us bound to the things of earth, do they detach us from the "other guys in the boat"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 03:39 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I'm sure we've all gone through times in our lives when things are going downhill, specifically when they effect a family member or loved one. When you see the Lord working - or even a "reap what you sow" scenario unfolding - it's can be hard to watch others hurting. My question is not whether we stop loving or caring, but at what point do we appear (or even feel) to be callous or dead to the affairs around us?

Quote:
If any man come to Me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.
And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after Me, cannot be My disciple. (Luke 14:26-27)
When I first read this passage . . . I had a vision of some bitter misanthrope of a Monk (wanna-be disciple) in some secluded, dark and dank monastery somewhere laboriously translating this passage. It has stayed with me ever since . . . especially since there is no way I could ever sanction the idea the Jesus would ever use the word hate about anyone, period . . . Satan sure . . . but not Jesus.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 12-14-2009 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 04:25 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Resting In the Lord God is the same a the peace of the Lord. Jesus told the disciple`` When you go a persons house, if there is Peace there then stay there, if there is no peace there than clean the sand off they sandals at their house and leave that place.`` Well if there is peace in that house than the Lord God is there. In israel in those days the Lord God should have being in all homes. Today believer get into the peace and rest of the Lord God by prayer though the blood of Jesus Christ staying clean on the inside of their hearts.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Resting In the Lord God is the same a the peace of the Lord. Jesus told the disciple`` When you go a persons house, if there is Peace there then stay there, if there is no peace there than clean the sand off they sandals at their house and leave that place.`` Well if there is peace in that house than the Lord God is there. In israel in those days the Lord God should have being in all homes. Today believer get into the peace and rest of the Lord God by prayer though the blood of Jesus Christ staying clean on the inside of their hearts.
What if a child or other loved one lives in the house that is causing unrest - do you put them out, even if they depend on you for life - all in the name of "peace"?

Where's longsuffering and patience? Do we fall into the net of self preservation, which I believe is contrary to the nature of Christ?

Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
What if a child or other loved one lives in the house that is causing unrest - do you put them out, even if they depend on you for life - all in the name of "peace"?

Where's longsuffering and patience? Do we fall into the net of self preservation, which I believe is contrary to the nature of Christ?
Resting in the Lord....is knowing and trusting that whatever is happening in this world, whether it affects me, those around me or even people I do not know...it is His will and being used for His purposes...resting in the FACT the He is in control of it all and TRUSTING Him to work it all out. GOD gives us the strength we need to get through ANY situation if we keep our eyes on HIM....this is true REST!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Resting in the Lord....is knowing and trusting that whatever is happening in this world, whether it affects me, those around me or even people I do not know...it is His will and being used for His purposes...resting in the FACT the He is in control of it all and TRUSTING Him to work it all out. GOD gives us the strength we need to get through ANY situation if we keep our eyes on HIM....this is true REST!
That mirrors my attitude as well. Outsiders would accuse of laying back and saying, "Whatever" to life, but the abiding in Him isn't something for outward display - we're constantly laying our wills at His feet, and asking Him to continue to assualt our flesh (as there's always something in me that needs His fire) while not accepting one thing from the enemy.

If we look at Paul's journey, or David's, Joseph's, etc. we see that he was thrown every direction, and the Lord delivered him out of it all.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:30 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
That mirrors my attitude as well. Outsiders would accuse of laying back and saying, "Whatever" to life, but the abiding in Him isn't something for outward display - we're constantly laying our wills at His feet, and asking Him to continue to assualt our flesh (as there's always something in me that needs His fire) while not accepting one thing from the enemy.

If we look at Paul's journey, or David's, Joseph's, etc. we see that he was thrown every direction, and the Lord delivered him out of it all.
EXACTLY....is all about knowing who is in control. Is it me or GOD? I know for sure it's definitely NOT ME!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity