U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:02 PM

26,952 posts, read 17,646,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Belief that Jesus is God is mandatory to be a Christian???

Of course.
I disagree , when i first believed i had no previous religious up bringing and so when i believed i simply put my faith in Jesus the Son of God being my Savior .
The Holy Spirit at that time never said to me Camps it's mandatory and essential to your faith being real that you believe that Jesus is God.
What i did here was "though your sins were like scarlet they are now white as snow".

Old 12-14-2009, 07:04 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,949,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So if an unbeliever picks up a bible and reads this portion of scripture you are telling me the Holy Spirit cannot open his eyes to understand and believe ?

Acts 8

34The eunuch asked Philip, "Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?" 35Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.

The word of God is for whosoever not just believers ,otherwise we are all doomed.
Phillip was reading from Isaiah, the discourse which deals with Christ, God coming in the flesh:

Isa 52:12 For ye shall not go out with haste, nor go by flight: for the LORD will go before you; and the God of Israel [will be] your rereward.

Isa 53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

It is Christ, God in the flesh.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Let me reiterate
Why is it ? Who says it is ?

I understood that as a brand new believer , from the moment i started reading the scripture .

What the heck does truely understand the scripture mean ?. What's wrong with simple faith in the scriptures revealed to us by the Holy Spirit ?.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Phillip was reading from Isaiah, the discourse which deals with Christ, God coming in the flesh:

Isa 52:12 For ye shall not go out with haste, nor go by flight: for the LORD will go before you; and the God of Israel [will be] your rereward.

Isa 53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

It is Christ, God in the flesh.
That is not my argument . I am saying to Fundy the scriptures are for whosoever and not just for the believer in them , the Ethiopian Eunuch was an whosoever just like myself, and just like myself came to faith through the scriptures revealed by the Holy Spirit.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:14 PM

8,989 posts, read 11,827,655 times
Quote:
Why is it ? Who says it is ?

I understood that as a brand new believer , from the moment i started reading the scripture .

What the heck does truely understand the scripture mean ?. What's wrong with simple faith in the scriptures revealed to us by the Holy Spirit ?.
Scripture is for believers, who else can understand it or discern it? when I was an unbeliever I did not truly understand scripture till I became a believer and could discern the word of God when the Holy Spirit dwelled in me which made me a believer.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Scripture is for believers, who else can understand it or discern it? when I was an unbeliever I did not truly understand scripture till I became a believer and could discern the word of God when the Holy Spirit dwelled in me which made me a believer.
The word of God (the sciptures) are for whosoever.

Whoever therefore hears these my words and does them, I will liken him to a prudent man, who built his house upon the rock.Matt 7 verse 24.

I suppose you are going tell me now Jesus was preaching to the converted.

It's the Holy Spirit that brings a man to faith in the Savior.

I heard the voice of Jesus say come unto me and rest .

You really do not believe in the Holy Spirit from the way you are talking

Old 12-14-2009, 09:23 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,949,912 times
Quote:
That is not my argument . I am saying to Fundy the scriptures are for whosoever and not just for the believer in them , the Ethiopian Eunuch was an whosoever just like myself, and just like myself came to faith through the scriptures revealed by the Holy Spirit.
PCamps,

But it is precisely the arguement...the scriptures teach that God came in the flesh, or in the OT, He will come in the flesh....the Holy One as the suffering servant. That is the arguement and the very core of it. And for the unbeliever of Jesus as in the Enuch Ethiopian, he was reading the very scripture that dealt with this arguement, and saw, by Phillip's living testimony, that it indeed was fulfilled. Therefore he believed and was quickened, and the Holy Spirit baptized Him, it quickened him again into the faith.

If people aren't quickened into this, even by so much revelation of those here and there producing the very scriptures of it, then the purpose is and has always only known and left to God, whether it does happen in time, or it never does. His purpose is in this, whether Christy, Kat, or anyone else for that matter comes to this understanding or not. There is reason for this, which is only among the counsel of God and Jesus Christ.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:32 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,994,103 times
Philippians 2:5-7 - Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bond-servant, and coming in the likeness of men.

1 Timothy 3:16 - And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.

Titus 2:13 - looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ

Hebrews 1:8,9 - But to the Son He (God) says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”

Jesus is God, the son . . . diety.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:55 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,149,297 times
Quote:
...I heard the voice of Jesus say come unto me and rest.
Wow...great testimony! Here are a few more from scripture that I always love to read over and over again. I never get tired of reading these words:

Mar 10:52 and Jesus said to him, `Go, thy faith hath saved thee:' and immediately he saw again, and was following Jesus in the way.

Mar 5:34 and he said to her, `Daughter, thy faith hath saved thee; go away in peace, and be whole from thy plague.'

Luk 17:19 and he said to him, `Having risen, be going on, thy faith hath saved thee.'

No burdens at all, none of the "do this" or "do that", just a simple go, go away in peace, be going on. Jesus is good and kind!

Mat 11:30 For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:00 PM

8,430 posts, read 7,769,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Philippians 2:5-7 - Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bond-servant, and coming in the likeness of men.

1 Timothy 3:16 - And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.

Titus 2:13 - looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ

Hebrews 1:8,9 - But to the Son He (God) says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”

Jesus is God, the son . . . diety.
As far as I know the OP question is not IF Jesus is Deity (there is another thread for that) it is where in the bible it states that one MUST BELIEVE that Jesus is Deity in order to be a Christian or saved if you will.

I still have yet to see a passage of scripture offered that states one must believe Jesus is God. I see a passage that states we must believe he is a mortal man...

2 John 1:7 Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist.

So why state this so clearly but there is not an " if you do not acknowledge Jesus Christ is God...." type verse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity