U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:37 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,745,390 times

Advertisements

Many of you here are aware of the efforts of what is loosely termed the "New Age Movement" to infiltrate into Christian churches. This well-documented phenomenon has been happening so quickly in both Catholic and Protestant denominations that it's hard to get a handle on it.

"A Course in Miracles," one of the most popular manuals of the New Age movement, is described by one Christian writer thus:

Quote:
The Course uses Christian terminology and the claim that the message comes from Jesus to promote their unbiblical teachings in such a way that it has resulted in a number of denominations within Christendom accepting the Course as legitimate and introducing it into their churches....The goal of the Course is to completely reverse the beliefs of Christians by using Christian terminology to pervert the Word of God.

Here are some interesting excerpts from the same article describing some of the Course's teachings:
  • Instead of accepting that we have all sinned and are in need of forgiveness and the salvation offered through Christ’s sacrifice, the Course teaches that we are a part of the divine, and sin and evil are a figment of our imagination.
  • The Course follows the New Age in teaching that only love is real and all that is negative is illusion.

• According to the Course, sickness, hate, pain, fear, guilt, and sin are all illusions.

• The Course teaches that evil does not exist. It is an illusion that must be overcome by right thinking

• Atonement no longer refers to Jesus Christ’s substitutionary death on the cross for sin. In A Course in Miracles, atonement means the exact opposite. The course teaches that one is not, and never has been, separated from God, so the term atonement refers to correcting the belief that men are separate from God, which is presumed to be a false belief.

• Followers are also taught that there is no need for guilt. Guilt is only a reality for those who don’t believe they are a part of the divine.

• The Course also teaches that sin is not an evil to be punished but merely a lack of love - a mistake to be corrected, not punished. They deal with sin by saying that the world is not real and that there is no reality behind separation and guilt. They teach that the story of Jesus' death on the cross was not to pay for sin but to show that sin and death had no affect on Him.

• In volume one of The Course you will read “no one is punished for sins, and the Sons of God are not sinners”. This eliminates any need for Christ’s sacrifice on the cross.

• The Course completely eliminates a need for a relationship with Christ and affords our Lord only the status of an “enlightened example” who is there to show us the way to an elevated evolutionary state.
  • According to the Course in Miracles there was never sin in the world that needed to be dealt with by God, only mistakes.
  • The Course also teaches that there is no absolute truth. In fact, truth is relative and is determined by one’s experience.
A Course in Miracles

A Course in Miracles

Course of Miracles

A Course In Miracles

If you are interested in the subject of occult and New Age infiltration in the Christian church, I highly recommend Herescope, Kjos Ministries, and Lighthouse Trails as good places to start:

Herescope: December 2009

From the Lighthouse Blog

Crossroad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:05 PM

34,733 posts, read 22,539,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Many of you here are aware of the efforts of what is loosely termed the "New Age Movement" to infiltrate into Christian churches. This well-documented phenomenon has been happening so quickly in both Catholic and Protestant denominations that it's hard to get a handle on it.
Doesn't seem too hard to spot its flaws, Dreaming . . . it denies Jesus as the connection to God . . . denies any need for a relationship with Jesus . . . denies evil (clearly absurd) . . . states absolute absurdities like pain, sickness, hate are illusions . . . denies any absolute truth or reality . . . These are all more likely to be satanic influences than God-inspired revisions.

However, they do have what seem to me to be God-inspired corrections of many of the primitive misconceptions . . . that I agree with. I can accept the elimination of the punishment rationale . . . since God would NOT punish. But consequences for our failures (you can keep calling them sins, Dreaming) do exist . . . they just are NOT eternal nor "punishing" nor torturous, etc. . . . and we do NOT inherit any "Original" one from some silly fruit eating episode! Jesus did NOT need to pay God for anything . . . His sacrifice was in enduring the scourging and crucifixion of our ignorant savage ancestors because they "knew not what they did" . . . rather than confirm their belief in a wrathful God by smiting them all. He displayed the true love of God unambiguously and showed there is nothing to fear from physical death.

So I can confidently say that I would not be a New Age follower, Dreaming . . . but they do have improved interpretations of the significance of the crucifixion and our relationship to our loving God (when you remove the clearly satanic influences)IMO.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:06 PM

5,366 posts, read 4,133,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Doesn't seem too hard to spot its flaws, Dreaming . . . it denies Jesus as the connection to God . . . denies any need for a relationship with Jesus . . . denies evil (clearly absurd) . . . states absolute absurdities like pain, sickness, hate are illusions . . . denies any absolute truth or reality . . . These are all more likely to be satanic influences than God-inspired revisions.

However, they do have what seem to me to be God-inspired corrections of many of the primitive misconceptions . . . that I agree with. I can accept the elimination of the punishment rationale . . . since God would NOT punish. But consequences for our failures (you can keep calling them sins, Dreaming) do exist . . . they just are NOT eternal nor "punishing" nor torturous, etc. . . . and we do NOT inherit any "Original" one from some silly fruit eating episode! Jesus did NOT need to pay God for anything . . . His sacrifice was in enduring the scourging and crucifixion of our ignorant savage ancestors because they "knew not what they did" . . . rather than confirm their belief in a wrathful God by smiting them all. He displayed the true love of God unambiguously and showed there is nothing to fear from physical death.

So I can confidently say that I would not be a New Age follower, Dreaming . . . but they do have improved interpretations of the significance of the crucifixion and our relationship to our loving God (when you remove the clearly satanic influences)IMO.
Mystic pretty much summed it up. I agree.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,828,294 times
Quote:

Only someone with pure spiritual insight can see that!! You get the triple thumb!!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:08 AM

5,295 posts, read 4,996,403 times
DreamingSpires,

Unfortunately this movement has been going on since a very short time after the resurrection of Jesus as recorded in Acts. Now, we call it the New Age, "Christ consciousness" seekers etc etc...self edifying and attempting to be a god themselves, disguised under the banner of Christianity. They are all over this board, and many others throughout the world, real and digital.
They are in our schools, in our churches and in our government.

What we can do, is get on our knees and pray to God, and educate our children properly.

We are commissioned to be Priests and Kings for Him, and we must start at home, so that they are armed with the proper tools to recognize this falsified religion and twisted attempt to distort the Christian faith. Christ's church will overcome all of it, this I am sure of, for He said so Himself.

We have gates to this city, and those gates are only open to those who desire to walk by its light.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:14 AM

34,733 posts, read 22,539,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
We have gates to this city, and those gates are only open to those who desire to walk by its light.
"Well . . . isn't that special?" . . . "Who do you think inspired such prideful boasting, Hmmm . . . could it be . . . SATAN!!" I just love Church Lady!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
"Well . . . isn't that special?" . . . "Who do you think inspired such prideful boasting, Hmmm . . . could it be . . . SATAN!!" I just love Church Lady!
I have noticed that often times when an orthodox Christian poster here such as sciotamicks defines as "aspostasy" that which deviates from traditional Christian orthodoxy--as many of your postings do--you label those criticisms as "satanic" in origin.

Such defense of Christian tradition seems to have the same effect on you and on ChristyGrl as holy water does on demons. It's an interesting phenomenon to observe anyway.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
DreamingSpires,

Unfortunately this movement has been going on since a very short time after the resurrection of Jesus as recorded in Acts. Now, we call it the New Age, "Christ consciousness" seekers etc etc...self edifying and attempting to be a god themselves, disguised under the banner of Christianity. They are all over this board, and many others throughout the world, real and digital.
They are in our schools, in our churches and in our government.

What we can do, is get on our knees and pray to God, and educate our children properly.

We are commissioned to be Priests and Kings for Him, and we must start at home, so that they are armed with the proper tools to recognize this falsified religion and twisted attempt to distort the Christian faith. Christ's church will overcome all of it, this I am sure of, for He said so Himself.

Sciotamicks,

You are absolutely correct and thank you for pointing this out!

As Constance Cumbey, probably the premier Christian researcher on the New Age movement, has said: "There is nothing 'new' about the New Age Movement." In fact, its origins can be traced right back to the deceptions in the Garden of Eden ("Thou shalt be as gods").

As Cumbey also points out though, the New Agers are "on the militant move once again" and this can be seen in both the political and religious arenas. They appear to be infiltrating particularly successfully in both Pentecostal and Evangelical denominations in the U.S.

The whole "emerging church" movement is especially worrying.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:02 PM

4,325 posts, read 4,858,365 times
Any religion that turns you away from God is satanic. Orthodox christians put Jesus before God. Hmm... I wonder how much this satan guy influenced those orthodox.
When we put another before God, we are doing the very thing that Jesus told us NOT to do. Remember the 1st and 11th commandment??? How many follow those two?

I would suggest that one should start praying to God and not Jesus in order to find out just how skewed christianity is. Us "New agers" or Divine Love Christians are gonna keep on prayin' to God and keep our Big Brother Jesus right beside us.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:03 PM

4,325 posts, read 4,858,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Sciotamicks,

You are absolutely correct and thank you for pointing this out!

As Constance Cumbey, probably the premier Christian researcher on the New Age movement, has said: "There is nothing 'new' about the New Age Movement." In fact, its origins can be traced right back to the deceptions in the Garden of Eden ("Thou shalt be as gods").

As Cumbey also points out though, the New Agers are "on the militant move once again" and this can be seen in both the political and religious arenas. They appear to be infiltrating particularly successfully in both Pentecostal and Evangelical denominations in the U.S.

The whole "emerging church" movement is especially worrying.
No one ever staed that we would be God's. Even Jesus made the claim that we could all be like God and not remain in His image. The bible even teaches it. All it takes is Divine Love. Too easy though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity