U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:11 PM

34,861 posts, read 22,672,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
I don't celebrate Christmas because I know it's an abomination to God. Jesus or the Apostles never celebrated their birthdays so why should we?
You have serious misconceptions about the nature of our God if you think celebrating Jesus's birthday could ever be an abomination to God. Perhaps you need to experience real abominations to correct your perspective! Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 05:08 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,719,385 times
I really don't see the big deal about picking a day to remember the miracle of Christ's Birth.

For everyone else ( including me ) who also enjoys renewing freindships at gatherings, sending cards to long lost friends, great food, greater desserts, the smell of pine, and spices, music, lights, and jingle bells,

I say,

Go for it.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:53 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,282,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Yes. I'm sure me getting up on Christmas morning and watching my children open a few gifts, then going to my mom's and spending the day with family, eating, and playing games is an abomination to God.

Not to mention last Saturday, when I had a birthday party for my 7 year old. He invited 3 boys over, my daughter and I took them to a movie, then back home for cake and ice cream, then opening presents and the boys playing with the toys til their parents came...I'm positive that was an abomination to God as well.

The nerve I have teaching my children to enjoy life!
Makes you wonder what God had against all the joy that was going on with people drinking and having a blast up until the floods came, huh?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:02 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,627,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Makes you wonder what God had against all the joy that was going on with people drinking and having a blast up until the floods came, huh?
Did you just compare the evils of the world before the flood to me having cake and ice cream with my child?

Or maybe I'm reading what you're saying wrong?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
Does anyone remember about the guideline when eating at a non-believer's house that if the host place before a believer, meat that was offered to idols, but the believer wasn't told, the believer was not to ask for conscience sake and eat it freely, but if they told the believer that it was offered up to idols, then the believer was not to eat it?

For those that have a thing against christmas like some are having knowledge of the pagan origin of it as a reason to call it an abomination: your not wanting to celebrate it is being done as unto the Lord.

I'm sure there are other reasons for not wanting to celebrate christmas: so be it... but you do so as unto the Lord.

For those that do not have a thing against Christmas and do so to honour the day of His birth and/or to even use the time to practise charity, giving gifts to children, family, and friends, and maybe even a few towards the poor, you do so as unto the Lord.

I know that there are no instructions about celebrating the birth of Christ as there are those that contend when Christ's birth was:

But let us remember that the angels made a big deal about His birth, and heralded it for others to come to honour Christ at His birth.

So let no one get mad at those that do not celebrate christmas, and let none judge those that do celebrate christmas.

Romans 14: 1Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. 2For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 3Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 4Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 5One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 7For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 8For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. 9For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living. 10But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. 11For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. 12So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. 13Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. 14I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

Colossians 2: 15And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

So irregardless how some believers do not celebrate christmas, they are the Lord's.... just as those that do.
There is a difference here with the verses you are referring to and Christmas. Those days were about days such as feast days and sabbaths that God had commanded to be observed. Their will still those that were worshipping those days in a carnal manner because they thought they were doing as God directed. Those that observed them spiritually new that the babes in Christ had not yet embrace such spiritual discernment to move away from those carnal observances. And it would have been damaging to teach them to move away what they believe God directed them to do. But Christmas was never directed by God to be observed. Those that do so, use their own reasoning to justify it before God just like the Babel builders did.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Did you just compare the evils of the world before the flood to me having cake and ice cream with my child?

I guess maybe we should have no joy in our lives. God must want us to be robots and walk around with frowns on our faces.
Enjoying yourself is not the barameter of righteousness. Esau was hated before he was even born. Yes a child that did nothing but was chosen to be hated by God before it even existed. Don't mistake joy and happiness in what your doing with others (even your own children) as acceptance with God.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:18 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,627,377 times
Quote:
Enjoying yourself is not the barameter of righteousness. Esau was hated before he was even born. Yes a child that did nothing but was chosen to be hated by God before it even existed. Don't mistake joy and happiness in what your doing with others (even your own children) as acceptance with God.
So I didn't misunderstand you. So you believe I should repent and ask for forgiveness for taking my son and his friends to a movie, eating cake and ice cream, opening gifts, and then playing with the toys?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:23 PM

10,597 posts, read 10,767,778 times
Quote:
Do you observe/celebrate Christmas? If not, why not?

If we can't celebrate the fact that God's promise to redeem man from his sins was finally coming to fruition, pray tell what CAN we celebrate???
Even the angels rejoiced that night in Bethlehem!

Quote:
Luke 2:
13Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
14"Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."
Even they were happy for us that night!

Old 12-15-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
So I didn't misunderstand you. So you believe I should repent and ask for forgiveness for taking my son and his friends to a movie, eating cake and ice cream, opening gifts, and then playing with the toys?
I think we should repent always (tough task). I don't think eating icream with your kids and taking them to a movie is a FREE PASS TO SALVATION.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
If we can't celebrate the fact that God's promise to redeem man from his sins was finally coming to fruition, pray tell what CAN we celebrate???
Even the angels rejoiced that night in Bethlehem!

Even they were happy for us that night!
Citzenkane you can CELEBRATE all you desire to BUT it must be as He says you should do it - not as YOU decide to do it. The ANGELS didn't celebrate the Birth but celebrated the coming of the King.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity