U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:04 AM

5,295 posts, read 4,995,211 times

Advertisements

The YLT (Young’s Literal Translation) adheres to a literal word for word translation from one language to another, without due regard for the syntactical differences between the languages.
The YLT also renders the tense of every Hebrew verb and every Greek verb as though the meaning of the tense in the original language always means the same as the corresponding tense in English. This was translated by Robert Young, without any requirement of his work on God's Holy Word to be proofread by anyone or any committee.

It is none other than having a layman translating the Word without confirmation.

For instance, the present tense of a given word in the Greek text is always rendered by means of the present tense in the English rendering, regardless of the fact that, for example, the present tense in Greek may have a future meaning, as in this case: “Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth,” (Rev 2:16).

In the Greek text, the verb rendered “I will come” is in the present tense; however, the meaning is future tense, as rightly rendered in the English version.

Using the YLT is good at times, but leaning on it solely for a proper scriptural exegesis in not only dangerous, but it can lead to a misled interpretation of God's Holy Word. Always compare the various translations, and ask God to guide you through the Holy Spirit, and remember to always come before the Lord, with the blood of Jesus Christ on you, every time.

Stay Busy in the Word!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 01:32 AM

4,677 posts, read 3,937,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
The YLT (Young’s Literal Translation) adheres to a literal word for word translation from one language to another, without due regard for the syntactical differences between the languages.
The YLT also renders the tense of every Hebrew verb and every Greek verb as though the meaning of the tense in the original language always means the same as the corresponding tense in English. This was translated by Robert Young, without any requirement of his work on God's Holy Word to be proofread by anyone or any committee.

It is none other than having a layman translating the Word without confirmation.

For instance, the present tense of a given word in the Greek text is always rendered by means of the present tense in the English rendering, regardless of the fact that, for example, the present tense in Greek may have a future meaning, as in this case: “Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth,” (Rev 2:16).

In the Greek text, the verb rendered “I will come” is in the present tense; however, the meaning is future tense, as rightly rendered in the English version.

Using the YLT is good at times, but leaning on it solely for a proper scriptural exegesis in not only dangerous, but it can lead to a misled interpretation of God's Holy Word. Always compare the various translations, and ask God to guide you through the Holy Spirit, and remember to always come before the Lord, with the blood of Jesus Christ on you, every time.

Stay Busy in the Word!
This is a great point that you make. Form can and does differ from funtion in all languages. One example in Hebrew is the plural form Elohim depends on the verb that it is used with. So that in Gen1:1 the verb 'created' controls the function of Elohim to be rendered as a singular. Also, Semantic differences are rarely picked up by such a translation. People should take a few linguistic classes before trying to expound the Scriptures - there are many dynamics that interplay.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,173,221 times
Here is some info on Young's Literal Version that might be helpful for those considering it's use:

Young's Literal Translation

Another good translation is the LITV by JP Green. The LITV makes for a good second read, as does the the less literal but equally good and trustworthy KJV.

Also the revised versions of the KJV, the British English Revised Version of 1881/1885, and it's American Counterpart, the American Standard Version of 1901 are also sometimes helpful, but their underlying Greek text is based upon Westcott and Hort, rather than the Received Text (Textus Receptus) or Majority Text.

Here is an excellent site that reviews many of the modern translations, their underlying Greek text, and why they differ from one another:

English Versions of the Bible

Old 12-17-2009, 04:19 AM

5,295 posts, read 4,995,211 times
I prefer the KJV personally. But I read them all...NIV is a good one too, mainly because most of my study books have not only Strong's number's, but also Kohlenberger's numbers as well, which allows a more in depth analysis of the language being analyzed. Many of my linguistic keys use Kohlenberger's numbers more so than Strong's.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:37 AM

3,225 posts, read 190,093 times
I generally just use the KJV on e-sword, I like having the strongs numbers available on it.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:18 AM

7,517 posts, read 10,942,824 times
I cutteth my teeth on ye KJV as well - but I like to compare several translations (not just YLT) when digging.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 AM

1,958 posts, read 4,463,634 times
Quote:
Stay Busy in the Word!
Good post.

I use the KJV, JP Geene's Literal, and the Geneva for study. And the NKJV for public reading, although it has some problems that shuold be corrected, it's a good translation. The rest of the mordern versions? Hum not much in my book

Old 12-17-2009, 01:02 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,334,098 times
Quote:

Stay Busy in the Word!

Good point!

Bud

Old 12-18-2009, 07:20 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,826,848 times
The thread actually should read...Word of warning for those who use any translation....all bibles have translations errors and have some bias based on the translator translating.

LET THE SPIRIT LEAD YOU INTO ALL TRUTH NO MATTER WHAT BIBLE VERSION YOU'RE USING.....THE SPIRIT WILL NEVER LEAD YOU WRONG!!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:59 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,471,223 times
Quote:
I don't think you've established that "I come" is wrong. It's not like YLT is the only one who translates it in the present tense. A quck look at various translations on blue-letter-bible has about half saying "I will come" while the rest say either "I come" or "I am coming".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity