U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 12:56 PM

8,989 posts, read 11,812,852 times

Advertisements

.......for their own salvation

(Philippians 2:12-13)
12So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling;
13for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

The greek verb rendered "work out" means to continually work to bring something to fulfillment or completion. "it cannot refer to salvation by works, but it does refer to the believer's responsibility for active pursuit of obedience in the process of sanctification. The attitude with which Christians are to pursue their sanctification. It involves a healthy fear of offending God and a righteous awe and respect for Him.

God is at work in you. Although the believer is responsible to work, the Lord produces the good works and spiritual fruit in the lives of the believers. This is accomplished becuse He works through us by His indwelling spirit. God energizes both the believer's actions and desires. He is not focusing on mere desires or whimsical emotions but on the studied intent to fulfill a planned purpose. God's power makes true believers willing to live Godly lives.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-17-2009 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 01:13 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,868,564 times
Yes, you work from your salvation not for it. And God is the one who influences you to will and to do His will that He would recieve the glory.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:17 PM

7,513 posts, read 10,834,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

12So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling;
13for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

The greek verb rendered "work out" means to continually work to bring something to fulfillment or completion. "it cannot refer to salvation by works, but it does refer to the believer's responsibility for active pursuit of obedience in the process of sanctification. The attitude with which Christians are to pursue their sanctification. It involves a healthy fear of offending God and a righteous awe and respect for Him.

God is at work in you. Although the believer is responsible to work, the Lord produces the good works and spiritual fruit in the lives of the believers. This is accomplished becuse He works through us by His indwelling spirit. God energizes both the believer's actions and desires. He is not focusing on mere desires or whimsical emotions but on the studied intent to fulfill a planned purpose. God's power makes true believers willing to live Godly lives.

We still have a paradox, imo. The believer is responsible, but the Lord is responsible for his/her responsibility?

Yes.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:31 PM

34,451 posts, read 22,078,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Yes, you work from your salvation not for it. And God is the one who influences you to will and to do His will that He would recieve the glory.
God has no pitiful human ego needs or any other human weaknesses. Glory is a satisfier of ego needs. God IS glory . . . he needs nothing from us and we cannot add one jot or tittle to His glory by anything we do. Everything we are instructed to do is for OUR spiritual benefit . . . NOT God's.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:34 PM

6,220 posts, read 5,971,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
God has no pitiful human ego needs or any other human weaknesses. Glory is a satisfier of ego needs. God IS glory . . . he needs nothing from us and we cannot add one jot or tittle to His glory by anything we do. Everything we are instructed to do is for OUR spiritual benefit . . . NOT God's.
Yes. Welcome to the classroom of life....

Old 12-17-2009, 01:36 PM

3,225 posts, read 154,256 times
Quote:
Yes, you work from your salvation not for it.

I agree with this .... good point.

I think there are parallels between the physical and and the spiritual --- In the physical are we responsible for our birth? -- no
Are we responible for our growth --- yes in a state of dependance on others to provide means and support - while we are babies we have extremely limited control over meeting our needs except to cry when we are hungry and dirty. But soon we need to learn to fit into society and how to look after ourselves and respond to the our inner drives and the outer world to mesh it into cohesion.

Spiritually we are not able to birth ourselves but we are responsible for eating spiritual food and drinking spiritual drink.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:31 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,868,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Mystic, stop misunderstanding me. Where did I say we add to His glory? Or where did I say He needs anything? His essence can never be added to. He does recieve the glory from what He has done in us and through us. We do not get the glory for that.

Not sure what you thought?

Old 12-17-2009, 02:34 PM

8,989 posts, read 11,812,852 times
Quote:
Mystic, stop misunderstanding me. Where did I say we add to His glory? Or where did I say He needs anything? His essence can never be added to. He does recieve the glory from what He has done in us and through us. We do not get the glory for that.

Not sure what you got that?
Strawmans'R'US

Old 12-17-2009, 02:39 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,436,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

If anybody wanted to know what that attitude is to pursue: it is this:

Philippians 2:5Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Quote:
Amen. The idea of working out your salvation with fear and trembling does not promote the idea of religious striving at all, but a humbling dependence on the Lord Jesus Christ as Our Good Shepherd as well as Our Saviour: the author and finisher of our faith as in how we are to run that race.... not looking to ourselves in doing the best we can in living the christian life, but by faith in the Son of God to live the christian life.

The same power of God in salvation in Jesus Christ that is by faith in Jesus Christ is the same power in living the christian life and that is by faith in Jesus Christ.

Brings a rallying confirmation to.. the just shall live by faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity