U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:22 AM

564 posts, read 590,543 times

Advertisements

This actually came up on another thread concerning Perry Stone's video.

Here are the scriptures;

Revelation 13: 8All inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast—all whose names have not been written in the book of life belonging to the Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world

Revelation 13: 11Then I saw another beast, coming out of the earth. He had two horns(maybe, kings, satan followers or stating he is the beast and the false prophet) like a lamb ( maybe, gentle, decieving), but he spoke like a dragon(satan). 12He exercised all the authority of the first beast on his behalf, and made the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose fatal wound had been healed.

Revelation 13:16 He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead,

Revelation 13:17 so that no one could buy or sell ( is this symbolic?)unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name.

Revelation 14:9
A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand,

Revelation 14:11 And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name."

Revelation 16:2 The first angel went and poured out his bowl on the land, and ugly and painful sores broke out on the people who had the mark of the beast and worshiped his image.
Revelation 19:20
But the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur.
Revelation 20:4
I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
My heart does not tell me the mark is all symbolic.
1. It is on the earth, (visible).
2. Mark, is a name or number.(visible)
3. Buying and selling.(visible)
4. And seeing the souls of those who "had been" beheaded. (invisible, heaven)
Scripture and comments are so welcome!
God Bless the Reader!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 08:42 AM

8,989 posts, read 11,810,836 times
I believe it's literal. Wouldn't the devil love to show off his mark on God's creation for God to see?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 AM

25,084 posts, read 13,113,765 times
I wish the mark of the beast was just symbolic..., but clearly it is literal event the Bible is describing.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:42 AM

4,083 posts, read 3,986,259 times
All of revelation was speaking to the events of the day, to the Jews who were living in that time.

LINK: Why Revelation was Written
The Apocalypse of Jesus Christ, called the Book of Revelation, is the most controversial and misunderstood book in the New Testament. This book is filled with extravagant, symbolic language, numerous and purposely confusing metaphors, numerology, double entendres, riddles, and extensive parallels to apocalyptic passages in the Old Testament. Moderator cut: snippet only please with the link

666 - the mark of the beast was Nero the roman emperor.Most scholars believe that 666 refers to Roman Emperor Nero[3][5][13] (whose name, written in Aramaic, can be valued at 666, using the Hebrew numerology of gematria), a manner of speaking against the emperor without the Roman authorities knowing.

LINK: Number of the Beast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-22-2009 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Snippet is two sentences to prevent copyright violations

Old 12-19-2009, 10:21 AM

11,244 posts, read 8,895,844 times
Symbolic. It is in contrast to the seal on the forehead of the believer.

Revelation 7:3
"Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God."

Revelation 22:4
They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads

The most common mistake is to read Revelation literally, it is apocalyptic symbolism.

If literal then the angels were wrong when they said:
"This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven."

Jesus didn't ascend with these things:
  • out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword.
  • His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.
  • ascended riding a white horse
  • on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS

Old 12-19-2009, 12:03 PM

8,430 posts, read 7,753,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
This actually came up on another thread concerning Perry Stone's video.

Here are the scriptures;

Revelation 13: 8All inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast—all whose names have not been written in the book of life belonging to the Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world

Revelation 13: 11Then I saw another beast, coming out of the earth. He had two horns(maybe, kings, satan followers or stating he is the beast and the false prophet) like a lamb ( maybe, gentle, decieving), but he spoke like a dragon(satan). 12He exercised all the authority of the first beast on his behalf, and made the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose fatal wound had been healed.

Revelation 13:16 He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead,

Revelation 13:17 so that no one could buy or sell ( is this symbolic?)unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name.

Revelation 14:9
A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand,

Revelation 14:11 And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name."

Revelation 16:2 The first angel went and poured out his bowl on the land, and ugly and painful sores broke out on the people who had the mark of the beast and worshiped his image.
Revelation 19:20
But the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur.
Revelation 20:4
I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
My heart does not tell me the mark is all symbolic.
1. It is on the earth, (visible).
2. Mark, is a name or number.(visible)
3. Buying and selling.(visible)
4. And seeing the souls of those who "had been" beheaded. (invisible, heaven)
Scripture and comments are so welcome!
God Bless the Reader!
In the OT the nation of Israel was charged with keeping the commandments of God by teaching them to their children as a mark or reminder on their hand and forehead (Deut. 6:7-8). This is still kept by Jews today and is called Shema.

According to the Jewish Virtual Library during Shema the "Tefillin are two small black boxes with black straps attached to them; Jewish men are required to place one box on their head and tie the other one on their arm each weekday morning."

This was considered the mark on the hand and forehead. Not a tattoo. Not a physical mark but a profession of faith and remembrance/allegiance to the commands of God.

The mark of the beast is not physical.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:35 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,142,232 times
For everything God does.......that great deceiver, Satan.........emulates. Oh, there will be a mark people, there will be a physical, actual, tangible mark; you will need it to buy and sell, not unless you do all that in "your minds". People wake up!

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 12-19-2009 at 01:20 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 12:52 PM

8,430 posts, read 7,753,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
For everything God does.......that great deceive.........emulates. Oh, there will be a mark people, there will be a physical, actual, tangible mark; you will need it to buy and sell, not unless you do all that in "your minds". People wake up!
An interesting video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M32S...layer_embedded

Old 12-19-2009, 01:27 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,142,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

Interesting video maybe to you, thanks, but I'll stick with the Bible! Know what I mean?

Old 12-19-2009, 02:47 PM

11,244 posts, read 8,895,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
For everything God does.......that great deceiver, Satan.........emulates.....
Betsey,
How's things going? Getting any special visitors for Christmas this year?
I would agree. That is why he masquerades as a angel of light.

I would ask, if literal, then why hasn't there been any literal seal on the foreheads on believers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity