U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 09:41 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,130,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
First of all no one is being banned from church
Guess you missed the headline: "NC judge strikes down law BANNING sex offenders from church"

Old 01-19-2010, 09:44 AM

8,989 posts, read 11,818,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Guess you missed the headline: "NC judge strikes down law BANNING sex offenders from church"
That's the state law not a church law. Sex offenders are banned from any place that has children.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I can only imagine how many were at one time in darkness, but were brought into the light by one or many that didn't judge the person, but rather recognized the power of the gospel.

There's something about people who are free - they seem to free others...
What are you saying?

Old 01-19-2010, 01:38 PM

7,513 posts, read 10,841,403 times
Quote:
What are you saying?
That God is a God of regeneration.

I'm not saying that it is within our power to pick people up and change them, but it is not only possible with God, it is impossible for them not to change when the Spirit of God moves upon a person. The key is for them to experience it.

So I ask a question of my own - what is our place as people of God, what are we to do?

Old 01-19-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
That God is a God of regeneration.

I'm not saying that it is within our power to pick people up and change them, but it is not only possible with God, it is impossible for them not to change when the Spirit of God moves upon a person. The key is for them to experience it.

So I ask a question of my own - what is our place as people of God, what are we to do?
Can't argur with that!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:28 PM

478 posts, read 600,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Agreed, but what about murders, thieves, liars, etc.? Why aren't they banned from the church as well? Wouldn't a 'murderer' pose more of a threat than a sex offender?
No. Sex offenders are of a completely different ilk and countless studies have shown that, in most cases, sex offenders lack the ability to be rehabilitated. Although some may change their behavior, and of course we have to hope that if they are living among us that they do, but the "urge", particularly among child predators never goes away. Rapists- same thing. Theives/burglars, liars- they can be rehabilitated and often have with absolute success. Your point about the murderer isn't applicable because anyone who is convicted of murder is not likely to be out of jail to begin with.

And remember that ex-convicts from felonious charges are denied many rights that they once enjoyed prior to committing whatever it is they commit like voting, gun ownership, etc., not to mention having a permanent record that inhibits many things like getting a job, housing, and so on and that's the price they paid. And personally, I have no problem giving such people second chances when it comes to working or living around people or whatever. But again, when it comes to sex offenders- I have no sympathy and don't really care what rights they are denied so long as people, especially children, are being protected from them. They lost their rights when they took away the rights from their victims, who did not have a choice in the matter.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:53 PM

696 posts, read 723,113 times
Christ can redeem anyone so they should be allowed to come to church. Here is the problem with sex offenders and I submit to you it is also in line with the homosexual arguement. They can use the idea they were born that way. Not to hijack the thread, but I was personally mired in adultery with multiple women. I could have used this excuse forever that I am man and was created to get all the women I can, but do I? No I repented and I tell you now, some of my biggest temptations come in church. Do I yield? No and Jesus help me never let me do it again! This is the core of the arguement, are we created a certain way, and if so can we in Christ not yield to any form of immorality. I reply Yes!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:36 PM

7,513 posts, read 10,841,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschultz73 View Post
Christ can redeem anyone so they should be allowed to come to church. Here is the problem with sex offenders and I submit to you it is also in line with the homosexual arguement. They can use the idea they were born that way. Not to hijack the thread, but I was personally mired in adultery with multiple women. I could have used this excuse forever that I am man and was created to get all the women I can, but do I? No I repented and I tell you now, some of my biggest temptations come in church. Do I yield? No and Jesus help me never let me do it again! This is the core of the arguement, are we created a certain way, and if so can we in Christ not yield to any form of immorality. I reply Yes!!!
That's a great point.

One can argue (and I have a step son that knows just enough bible to blame God for everything ) that they were created vessels of dishonor; but the fact is that God gives grace to exceed any manner of fault we may have, and I believe that those who overcome the "handicap" they were born with are in line for great reward.

imo.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:49 PM

3,772 posts, read 8,960,884 times
Quote:
That's the state law not a church law. Sex offenders are banned from any place that has children.
You are right they are not allowed to even reside within 2500 feet of a school and children's playground.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.

They shud shut the church down as it serves no meaningful purpose. I always knew there was something weird about non-catholic/non-orthodox churches. Twisted scripture.
Probable scenario.

Man approaches pastor and says he wants to attend the church but because there are children attending by law he must tell the pastor that he is a registered sex offender. The pastor being the loving, protectorate, responsible shepherd he is covers all his tracks by notifying his congregation, establishing rules to the man and contacting teh church's lawyer to make sure that the church was not violating any laws by allowing him to atend or even being held liable should the man's urges come back. The lawyer tells the pastor that he is breaking state laws and that he can't attend the church but now the pastor is caught bewteen a rock and a hard place because he knows the church are for sick people and he does want this man to attend his church but as a Christians we should follow the law so he tells the man that he is going to have to get a lawyer and fight this law. The state takes over and the judge sees it as unconstitutional to ban sex offenders from church therefore over turning it.

This has nothing to do with the church.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-20-2010 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.