U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2009, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
27,402 posts, read 43,751,858 times
Reputation: 18479

Advertisements

PITTSBORO, N.C. (ABP) -- A North Carolina judge has ruled in favor of two registered sex offenders arrested in May for attending a Baptist church near Raleigh.

Francis Demaio and James Nichols were indicted May 11 for violating a state law requiring sex offenders to stay at least 300 feet away from places used primarily by children.

Associated Baptist Press - N.C. judge strikes down law banning sex offenders from church

 
Old 01-19-2010, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Tulsa
3 posts, read 4,360 times
Reputation: 11
That was the correct decision under the constitution
 
Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 22,912,059 times
Reputation: 11309
Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.



They shud shut the church down as it serves no meaningful purpose. I always knew there was something weird about non-catholic/non-orthodox churches. Twisted scripture.
 
Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 11,808,834 times
Reputation: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.



They shud shut the church down as it serves no meaningful purpose. I always knew there was something weird about non-catholic/non-orthodox churches. Twisted scripture.
What are you talking about?
 
Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 22,912,059 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
What are you talking about?
Why can't the Christians who chant the Our Father a 100 times a month forgive these sex offenders?? Give them a chance to do penance....
 
Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 11,808,834 times
Reputation: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Why can't the Christians who chant the Our Father a 100 times a month forgive these sex offenders?? Give them a chance to do penance....
The church's response was scriptural

Quote:
According to the opinion, one of the defendants told the pastor of Moncure Baptist Church he was a registered sex offender trying to improve his life, and the pastor said he was welcome to attend as long as he conducted himself properly and stayed away from children.
After the arrests, the church tried to accommodate the men by planning an adults-only Bible study when children were not present, but because it was unclear whether that would satisfy the letter of the law, those plans were scrapped.
Forgiveness is one thing being obtuse is another. Fathers have a scriptural duty first to protect their families
 
Old 01-19-2010, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
1,860 posts, read 4,127,840 times
Reputation: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

Fathers have a scriptural duty first to protect their families
Agreed, but what about murders, thieves, liars, etc.? Why aren't they banned from the church as well? Wouldn't a 'murderer' pose more of a threat than a sex offender? And just b/c 'registered sex offenders' were banned, how many non-convicted, never found out sex offenders do you think attend churches?? Plenty, I'm sure. I understand the concern, but the church is for sick people who need Christ, not for the pious holier than thou types. Ban them from serving in the children's ministry, absolutely; not allow them to be in a 'leadership' capacity for a long amount of time, sure; but to 'ban' them from church all together in my opinion is unacceptable unless they are deliberately or obviously posing a serious threat to other members & attenders.
 
Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 11,808,834 times
Reputation: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Agreed, but what about murders, thieves, liars, etc.? Why aren't they banned from the church as well? Wouldn't a 'murderer' pose more of a threat than a sex offender? And just b/c 'registered sex offenders' were banned, how many non-convicted, never found out sex offenders do you think attend churches?? Plenty, I'm sure. I understand the concern, but the church is for sick people who need Christ, not for the pious holier than thou types. Ban them from serving in the children's ministry, absolutely; not allow them to be in a 'leadership' capacity for a long amount of time, sure; but to 'ban' them from church all together in my opinion is unacceptable unless they are deliberately or obviously posing a serious threat to other members & attenders.
First of all no one is being banned from church They have limitations for example a practicing homosexual can attend a church but he or she cannot serve in the choir, sunday school teacher etc.....

This is a very difficult topic which should not be treated or judged so quickly or blindly. There are many goats in church and those sex offenders can be no different. I for one am not willing to take that chance with my children with someone I don't know until I can see this person bearing fruit.
 
Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 AM
 
Location: RV Park
7,513 posts, read 10,830,348 times
Reputation: 4388
I can only imagine how many were at one time in darkness, but were brought into the light by one or many that didn't judge the person, but rather recognized the power of the gospel.

There's something about people who are free - they seem to free others...
 
Old 01-19-2010, 09:40 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 11,808,834 times
Reputation: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I can only imagine how many were at one time in darkness, but were brought into the light by one or many that didn't judge the person, but rather recognized the power of the gospel.

There's something about people who are free - they seem to free others...
What are you saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top