U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 04:45 PM

136 posts, read 158,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
If I publish a Christian book, and it is not what I really believe, but I know it will make me money... is it right to do so?

I was actually thinking of writing a book on the gospel as I see it displayed in the Bible... However, if I change a few things I would sell more copies.

What should I do?
No it wouldn't be right to publish a book as truth, when in your heart mind it is not.
Just think of all the people that may believe what you say, you knowing it is untrue.
People are vulnerable and searching for truth why lie?
Why not write a fiction novel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 04:49 PM

3,225 posts, read 153,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
I agree with Meerkat...we are just staing our opinions on things...if you can't take it SPM..then find another board to fellowship with where everyone agrees with you, instead of condemning those that disagree, even if it is passionately.
sciotamicks

In a way I agree with Spm as well - he is voicing what he believes ..... just as you voice what you believe ..... I guess instead of everyone over reacting to what another says, the christlike thing to do would be to diffuse the situation and not inflame it with antagonism.

As you said in another thread we are all human and all prone to over reacting ..... I think what would be nice is to encourage each other instead of saying things like ----- go find another board to fellowship on.......

Old 12-20-2009, 04:50 PM

1,958 posts, read 4,432,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Another uncalled for post that does nothing but provoke. I`ve never seen so much condemnation,self righteouseness mean spirited antagonizing on a chrisitian forum. Everyone wants everybody else to agree with them and if they don`t, the name calling and labeling starts. No wonder people are fleeing from organized religion in droves.
Excuse me! re-read post #4 and show us "condemnation, self righteouseness mean spirited antagonizing" and especially show us "name calling and labeling" in that post??

Old 12-20-2009, 04:56 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,941,517 times
Kat, why don't you go the fiction route instead of taking the risk of being accountable for your beliefs...especially in lieu of the scripture and how the judge will deal with the teahcers.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:59 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,941,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
sciotamicks

In a way I agree with Spm as well - he is voicing what he believes ..... just as you voice what you believe ..... I guess instead of everyone over reacting to what another says, the christlike thing to do would be to diffuse the situation and not inflame it with antagonism.

As you said in another thread we are all human and all prone to over reacting ..... I think what would be nice is to encourage each other instead of saying things like ----- go find another board to fellowship on.......

Yes you are right, but the same was dealt with me on another board...so I did, without taking it personally. That board was protecting themselves and the flock that they nutured. I accepted that and understood...and left. I was just offering another way out for SPM...either way..if SPM stays, SPM must grow some thicker skin, as it appears that this board is far different from any I have been in, and there is alot of "zealous" debates, which is fine, as I am passionate about mine, I don't in any way want this board to change for anyone. I like the "zealousness".

It keeps the fire kindled. But that is just me.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:05 PM

136 posts, read 158,695 times
Quote:
Kat, why don't you go the fiction route instead of taking the risk of being accountable for your beliefs...especially in lieu of the scripture and how the judge will deal with the teahcers.
Good advice.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:49 PM

3,225 posts, read 153,643 times
Quote:
Yes you are right, but the same was dealt with me on another board...so I did, without taking it personally. That board was protecting themselves and the flock that they nutured. I accepted that and understood...and left. I was just offering another way out for SPM...either way..if SPM stays, SPM must grow some thicker skin, as it appears that this board is far different from any I have been in, and there is alot of "zealous" debates, which is fine, as I am passionate about mine, I don't in any way want this board to change for anyone. I like the "zealousness".

It keeps the fire kindled. But that is just me.
Yes this is a different kind of board and I like it .........

I believe and hope that a delicate balance can be maintained I believe we need to be mindful of this saying of Jesus -- do unto others as you would have them do unto you ........

First if you want others to respect you .... respect others

NOT if others respect you .... then its ok to respect them

There is a difference between disagreeing with someone and attacking them verbally (their character, etc)

Old 12-20-2009, 05:53 PM

45,264 posts, read 81,035,968 times
Quote:
If I publish a Christian book, and it is not what I really believe, but I know it will make me money... is it right to do so?

I was actually thinking of writing a book on the gospel as I see it displayed in the Bible... However, if I change a few things I would sell more copies.

What should I do?
I sense this is not a real question, but instead an attempt to lure people into discussing personal philosophy with you, perhaps in an effort to ridicule some one or some group.

If it is in fact a real question, my apologies - Merry Christmas.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:37 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,130,125 times
Quote:

What should I do?
Honestly,,if the motivation is just to make money selling more books,,write something else entirely.

If you are trying to convey a much needed message to the world, then write it as the Spirit leads you. I would buy it, so you have one sell already.

But I would in no way compromise something as delicate as this faith, especially concerning others who happen to read it. If it is truly a inspired writing, then you won't have to worry about selling copies, as the Spirit will lead people to it.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:51 PM

8,430 posts, read 7,753,583 times
Quote:
I guess this thread blew up.....

I would never write something I didn't believe to make a buck... It was a hypothetical. If I were going to write a book it would be the truth according to me.

It amazes me how much stuff is out there already that isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Just remember this thread the next time you want to buy a non-fiction christian book...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity