U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 01:51 AM

2,739 posts, read 7,289,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
No - the saving faith is not an intellectual thing, it is a faith that comes from the heart and soul and spirit - it is a regeneration.

We are told that God is not mocked and what a person sows - he shall reap

The law of liberty is not a license for sin.

Gal 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Amen! Meerkat is right...

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 03:31 AM

26,944 posts, read 17,616,484 times
Harold and Verna why do you deliberately choose to ignore this passage of scripture .? You both are big on talking about wilful sin , why are you willfully ignoring this scripture that teaches the exact opposite of what you teach ?

Romans 13 verses 9 amd 10

The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Romans 13 :9

Verna, HK , DK,Almost2L8 you see it's about loving your neighbor and not keeping the Law , what more evidence do you need than this explicit confirmation from the scriptures that by loving your neighbor you are fulfilling the whole Law , in other words our walk is about Loving not keeping.

Romans 13 : 10

Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.Therefore is there for a reason.

Both of you are preaching aanother gospel.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:02 AM

10,233 posts, read 7,553,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2
No - the saving faith is not an intellectual thing, it is a faith that comes from the heart and soul and spirit - it is a regeneration.

We are told that God is not mocked and what a person sows - he shall reap

The law of liberty is not a license for sin.

Gal 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Amen...meerkat!!

Paul moves from the doctrinal issue of salvation by faith to the manner in which the life of liberty (v.13) is worked out in daily living.

The Christian has liberty from trying to earn his salvation by keeping the law, but is not free to follow the selfish desires of the flesh, the sinful nature. He has been called by Christ to demonstrate love by unselfishly serving others.

All that God requires in our treatment of a fellow human being is to treat him as we ourselves would want to be treated. This is Christlike love.
The opposite of love is to bite and devour each other with harsh words and abusive actions. Verses 19-21 describe attitiudes not controlled by love.
And the end of that scripture does say,..... "of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told your in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God"....
So let's see, adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contention, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like......

Now we move on too..."But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not become conceited,provoking one another , envying one another. Gal. 2: 22-26.

Ah...."Walk in the Spirit" here in v.16 is God's admonition and glorious promise. If our way of life is controlled by the Holy Spirit, we will not be controlled by the desires of the sinful nature.....
To live according to the sinful nature is directly opposite to living under the control of the Holy Spirit (take a look at Rom. 8:5-9).
Caught in this conflict, we do not consistently do what we wish until we yield ourselves to the Spirit of God.

The Spirit led person no longer tries to earn his salvation by striving in vain to keep the law. Instead the Spirit enables him to live by the law of love and thereby fulfill the purpose of the law.

Now it is truly evident and easy to see the works (results) of living under the control of the flesh, the sinful nature, vv.19-21 =

~The first four of the include natural and perverted forms of sexual sin among both married and single persons. In Eph. 5:11 all of these sins are indentified as "unfruitful works of darkness." They need to be exposed for their inherent evil qualities.
~Idolatry and socery are perversion of worship, involving oneself with the powers of evil.
~The nine works beginning with hatred and climaxing in murders (v.21) are the very opposite of love for others.
~Drunkenness and revelries are often found together in Scripture. The list is not exhaustive. The absence of the Spirit of God opens the door to wickedness. And those who practice such things have never known Christ or have backslidden for Him.

Now...Gal. 6:1-5
Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. For each one shall bear his own load.

Quote:
Sin is transgression of the law and we are commanded to judge and cast out the wicked from among us.
Spiritual people do not gloat over a brother found in any trespas. Instead, they seek to restore him, showing gentleness, remembering that they themselves might fall under some temptation.
Bearing one another's burdens is helping our neighbor with his weakness and the law of Christ is to "love your neighbor as yourself."
Apart from Christ we are nothing. The person proud of spiritual attainment does not understand his dependence on God.
We should make sure that our own work, our conduct as Christians, is what God wants (1Cor. 3:9-15). Only then do we find the true satisfaction. Comparing ourselves with the weakness of another is never Christlike.
Everyone must be responsible for himself before God. Each has burdens that no one else can fully share. Christ's way is to accept responsibility for ourselves, and to share the burden of other's when we can....

Blessings...

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 12-21-2009 at 04:27 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 04:55 AM

know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified. Galatians 2 verse 16

21I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" Galatians 2 verse 21

Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? Have you suffered so much for nothing—if it really was for nothing? 5Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard? Galatians 3 verses 2-5

All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, Galatians 3 verse 8

12The law is not based on faith; Galatians 3 verse 12

26You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus Galatians 3 verse 26

Old 12-21-2009, 05:13 AM

10,233 posts, read 7,553,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified. Galatians 2 verse 16

21I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" Galatians 2 verse 21

Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? Have you suffered so much for nothing—if it really was for nothing? 5Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard? Galatians 3 verses 2-5

All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, Galatians 3 verse 8

12The law is not based on faith; Galatians 3 verse 12

26You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus Galatians 3 verse 26

Amen...

Old 12-21-2009, 05:54 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,778,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
When I first came to this forum, I was conflicted in my view regarding the Sabbath . . . my good friends keep the Sabbath . . . they do not spend money or buy anything, nor do they go to public functions, fairs, etc. There children are not alllowed to play sports on the Sabbath . . . and even miss Graduations ceremonies and proms if it falls on the sabbath.

These are the best people I know, and I studied with them, and respect them and love them . . . . . but I realize now, from 4 years of praying about it, and a few months of actually keeping the sabbath . . . that we are not under the law anymore.

There is a rest for us, and his name is Jesus, his Yoke is easy. Peace.

Amen Lifesigns.....we rest in the FINISHED work of Jesus The Christ 24/7....not just on the Jewish Sabbath.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:24 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,795,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Really? What Bible are you reading from?

This is exactly what we, Christians, are trying to reveal and expose that preys on in this forum. The explicit denial of the scripture, and the consistent disregard for first, what it teaches, and second, the desire to distort it, and third, to embellish it with their own rules subject to their own paradigm.

Good grief man! You are really serious aren't you?

Lev 10:2 And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.

From the LXX 10:2 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν πῦρ παρὰ κυρίου καὶ κατέφαγεν αὐτούς καὶ ἀπέθανον ἔναντι κυρίου

In Bold - Fire Lord

Seems here that it really came from God...so let me guess, you deny this very text?
How does that affect me? I work almost every Sunday.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
It doesn't affect you (unless you allow it to) , it only affects the fundamentalist who in their own minds cannot process something that does not align with the laws and traditions of their belief(i intentionally say belief and not faith) they have made for themselves , and by the which they cannot help but be judgemental towards believer and unbeliever alike .

Old 12-21-2009, 06:32 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,778,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
It doesn't if you are resting in the FINISHED work of Jesus The Christ.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:15 AM

7,780 posts, read 12,634,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Sabbath Observance:

Does it in anyway apply to salvation? No

Is it in anyway a command in the New Testament for us to practice? No.

Was Sunday appointed by someone or was it a day the disciples did worship on? Someone else.

Where in the New Testament does it tell us to keep or obey the seventh day Sabbath? It doesn't.

What is the TRUE Christian Sabbath?

A. The Jewish scriptural Sabbath (Saturday)? No.

B. The Catholic and Protestant Sabbath (Sunday)? No.

C. The Lord's day as John received it in Revelation as one special day? No.

D. JESUS (Hebrews 4:8)? Yes!

The warning about making something other than the rest in Jesus a Sabbath is given to us "Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain." (Galatians 4:10, 11)

Observing Sunday or Saturday means absolutely nothing to our salvation or walk in the Lord. Those days are not singled out in the New Testament as "special." Why would, after leaving the Law and bondage, you want to bind yourself again with a law that can't save? "Continuing in the truth" sets you free! No outward requirement necessary. Sabbath day keeping cannot save anyone! To say (as Christians living under the New Covenant) the Sabbath is still a physical requirement necessary in pleasing God is like saying we were still under circumcision as a physical requirement. The law is impossible to keep and trying to keep it is bondage. You are attempting to attain the impossible.
"For if Jesus had given them rest (the children of Israel in the wilderness), then would he not afterward have spoken of another day (Christ our rest, our Sabbath). (Hebrews 4:8)

Therefore Jesus is our rest, our Sabbath, not a physical 24 hour day that is merely governed by time outside eternity and therefore outside the kingdom of God.
Dear Lord! It must be Christmas!

For I have seen true Godly discernment on the City-Data forums!

lifesigns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity