Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
How nice for the serial killer and the adulterer - we are not under the law anymore. Do you realize the implication of your statement?

The murder and the adulterer can "believe in Jesus" and need not fear condemnation because they are not under the law anymore.

HK
Do you realize the implications of your statements here, and the spirit-less ways you convey them . . . I am sure you have a heart for Jesus, yet what shines through is your PASSION for the LAW, and your constant reiteration that we be WITHOUT SIN . . . . like I said, to be without sin, we must stop breathing . . . .
Harold, my family and I studied with Sabbath keepers, not just my SDA friends, whom you oppose because of their dietary beliefs . . .

My family and I were sabbath keepers as new Christians . . . .BUT, then when we slowly started to die to our flesh, the more Holy Spirit filled we became, and our prayers for wisdom and discernment on this matter were answered . . . not by our friends, the SDA's, or the seminars on sabbath keeping . . . . but by the Word of God . . . AS BELOW . . .

The New Testament is very clear that Christians are not under the Old Testament Jewish Law or the law of Moses. Here is what the Bible says.

"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace." Romans 6:14.

Christians are ”dead to the law." Romans 7:4.

"If ye be led by the Spirit, ye are not under the law" Galatians 5:18.

Christians are "delivered from the law." Romans 7:6.

"Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster “ [the law]. Galatians 3:24-25.

For Christians, the Law is "that which is done away." II Corinthians 3:11.

For Christians, the Law is "that which is abolished." II Corinthians 3:13.

For Christians, Jesus, on the Cross, was "blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us." Colossians 2:14.

For Christians, the Law is taken "out of the way" and nailed "to his cross." Colossians 2:14.

"When God speaks of a new [covenant or agreement], He makes the first one obsolete (out of use). And what is obsolete (out of use and annulled because of age) is ripe for disappearance and to be dispensed with altogether." Hebrews 8:13, The Amplified Version

"And after that he said, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. Thus he put an end to the first in order to establish the second." Hebrews 10:9, Lamsa Translation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 08:45 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Good evening NCyank.
Jesus is crucified between two thieves. One, and impenitent thief...the other a penitent brother....the one hardened, who died in his unbelief, and the other softened, (who, more than likely believed in Jesus even before he was hung on the cross next to Him). The softened one believed he deserved what was happening to him, and he believed in a life to come...humbly, in true repentance, he asked Jesus to remember him, and experienced Divine Mercy.

True repentance is never too late...but we never know when we will draw our last breath, for God never promised us a tomorrow...so one can not be sure they'll have the chance to repent before they die, when it is then too late.

Men die as they live.
You are speculating with the bolded statement.

This man was a criminal, sentenced to death and he did indeed die as he lived. However, the same does not apply to our spiritual death.
Romans 3 tells us that ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Not one of us are deserving of redemption and yet we can be saved by grace and faith. If we are born again we do not die as we have lived, otherwise we would surely spend eternity separated from God, as we truly deserve.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Sabbath Observance:

Does it in anyway apply to salvation? No

Is it in anyway a command in the New Testament for us to practice? No.

Was Sunday appointed by someone or was it a day the disciples did worship on? Someone else.

Where in the New Testament does it tell us to keep or obey the seventh day Sabbath? It doesn't.

What is the TRUE Christian Sabbath?

A. The Jewish scriptural Sabbath (Saturday)? No.

B. The Catholic and Protestant Sabbath (Sunday)? No.

C. The Lord's day as John received it in Revelation as one special day? No.

D. JESUS (Hebrews 4:8)? Yes!

The warning about making something other than the rest in Jesus a Sabbath is given to us "Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain." (Galatians 4:10, 11)

Observing Sunday or Saturday means absolutely nothing to our salvation or walk in the Lord. Those days are not singled out in the New Testament as "special." Why would, after leaving the Law and bondage, you want to bind yourself again with a law that can't save? "Continuing in the truth" sets you free! No outward requirement necessary. Sabbath day keeping cannot save anyone! To say (as Christians living under the New Covenant) the Sabbath is still a physical requirement necessary in pleasing God is like saying we were still under circumcision as a physical requirement. The law is impossible to keep and trying to keep it is bondage. You are attempting to attain the impossible.
"For if Jesus had given them rest (the children of Israel in the wilderness), then would he not afterward have spoken of another day (Christ our rest, our Sabbath). (Hebrews 4:8)

Therefore Jesus is our rest, our Sabbath, not a physical 24 hour day that is merely governed by time outside eternity and therefore outside the kingdom of God.
Good post Lifesigns.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:54 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Grace busters, I rebuke you!

Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Really? What Bible are you reading from?

This is exactly what we, Christians, are trying to reveal and expose that preys on in this forum. The explicit denial of the scripture, and the consistent disregard for first, what it teaches, and second, the desire to distort it, and third, to embellish it with their own rules subject to their own paradigm.

Good grief man! You are really serious aren't you?

Lev 10:2 And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.

From the LXX 10:2 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν πῦρ παρὰ κυρίου καὶ κατέφαγεν αὐτούς καὶ ἀπέθανον ἔναντι κυρίου

In Bold - Fire Lord

Seems here that it really came from God...so let me guess, you deny this very text?
You kinda prove mystic's point here. If God could send down fire to devour men, why not just send down fire to devour the man who gathered sticks?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:31 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
THE MAN WHO GATHERED STICKS ON THE SABBATH DAY

Jesus is searching our hearts and is going to judge us according to our intentions regarding the sabbath day. The writer of Hebrews, gave this alarm:

The warning is clear, Jesus is looking at the intentions of our hearts about the sabbath. If we know to keep the sabbath day holy and then go ahead and break it by working for money, or setting it aside in order to keep our worldly pleasures, we will fall by the same sort of disobedience that caused the man who picked up sticks to fall in the wilderness. He never entered God's rest and received the death penalty.

"Christians" who presumptuously disobey any of the commandments of God (including the sabbath commandment) have either never fully repented --or they have blasphemed the Holy Spirit of God.
I have hesitated to enter into this thread for various reasons; however, upon a re-examination I felt is might be necessary to drop my 2 cents. Many of the above statements, especially those underlined, are simply not in accord with scripture.

It is a danger to continue to teach this kind of bondage where Jesus has not placed this kind of bondage! Again, this is where Christians trying to teach others in areas they know nothing about. Does everyone think this is a game? Ministering and teaching the scriptures is SERIOUS BUSINESS and frankly, to teach as many do here, without proper study or research with just spouting your opinions will have serious ramifications. BE CAREFUL!

Space does not allow me to list in this thread everything that has already been written as to this subject again. If you are of such a one that is willing to take the time to study this and patient enough to read then you will know of what sort you are.

Study and read the Bible.

Read the following helpful study it clears up everything.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:51 AM

988 posts, read 1,903,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Amen...meerk

Spiritual people do not gloat over a brother found in any trespas. Instead, they seek to restore him, showing gentleness, remembering that they themselves might fall under some temptation.
Bearing one another's burdens is helping our neighbor with his weakness and the law of Christ is to "love your neighbor as yourself."
Apart from Christ we are nothing. The person proud of spiritual attainment does not understand his dependence on God.
We should make sure that our own work, our conduct as Christians, is what God wants (1Cor. 3:9-15). Only then do we find the true satisfaction. Comparing ourselves with the weakness of another is never Christlike.
Everyone must be responsible for himself before God. Each has burdens that no one else can fully share. Christ's way is to accept responsibility for ourselves, and to share the burden of other's when we can....

Blessings...

Hmmm.... Very sweet but again a direct contradiction of the Scriptural view of how to treat those who call themselves brethren but continue to commit willful sin.

While it is true that we are to support those who sin ignorantly or unintentionally it is not true that the willful sinner receives the same forbearance.

The problem is that unlike Paul you appear to make no distinction between trespass and rebellion. If I am reading you wrong just say so...

If not then you have much to learn. You might begin by listening to Paul rather than your own heart. For example:

1Co 5:9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:

1Co 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

1Co 5:12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

1Co 5:13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

Do you think Paul was gloating?

HK

Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
You kinda prove mystic's point here. If God could send down fire to devour men, why not just send down fire to devour the man who gathered sticks?

Maybe for the same reason that he drowned all of mankind except eight - His choice. By the way did you ever think that since God is sorry he made mankind - He is sorry he made you.

Gen 6:5 The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Gen 6:6 And the LORD was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.

HK

Old 12-21-2009, 12:02 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I have hesitated to enter into this thread for various reasons; however, upon a re-examination I felt is might be necessary to drop my 2 cents. Many of the above statements, especially those underlined, are simply not in accord with scripture.

It is a danger to continue to teach this kind of bondage where Jesus has not placed this kind of bondage
!

Keep your pennies - I prefer Jesus' teaching on the subject:

Mat 19:17 And he said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments."

Those who break God's commandments are in bondage not those who obey God's commandments.

Joh 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

HK

"The law is terrible only to the transgressor."

Old 12-21-2009, 12:06 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
By the way did you ever think that since God is sorry he made mankind - He is sorry he made you.
Wow, that's pretty vicious.

In the scripture you posted earlier, in your opinion, what's a 'railer'?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity