U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2009, 06:45 AM
 
10,164 posts, read 4,611,207 times
Reputation: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Just like to say a thanks to the preterists on the board for their patience and diligence - I am now learning heavily towards preterism, I feel that it does bring a consistency to the scriptures.
Sorry to hear about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2009, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Chicago, Illinois
396 posts, read 339,669 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I do not believe in preterism because the book of Revelations was wrote after a vision Apostle John had in 96 A.D.while he was on the isle of Patmos, were was banished there during the reign of Roman Emperor Domitian for his stand to the word of God , that is 26 years after the fall of Jerusalem. Where preterism idealist believe the second coming of Jesus was at 70 A.D.
Funny, I dont see John's date for writing the book in Revelation. If the book is written after 70 A.D., Why is the temple being measured in Revelation 11, if it had already been destroyed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
6,805 posts, read 4,521,150 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I do not believe in preterism because the book of Revelations was wrote after a vision Apostle John had in 96 A.D.while he was on the isle of Patmos, were was banished there during the reign of Roman Emperor Domitian for his stand to the word of God , that is 26 years after the fall of Jerusalem. Where preterism idealist believe the second coming of Jesus was at 70 A.D.
If this is the same John as the disciple John he would be around 90 years old when he wrote this... if in fact it has such a late date... That makes no sense! to me anyway.

From scripture we know that John was imprisoned at patmos, was being persecuted because of his faith.. and yet you say a 90 year old man was still living (even now with medical technology 90 is no spring chicken) and was being imprisoned during persecution?

I think that is stretching the limits of reality.

Now if the book of Revelation were written in 68 (as some claim) then John would have been in his 60's which is still older than the life expectancy of the first century.

I think just with the clues given in the book itself we can conclude that it was written before the fall of Jerusalem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 11:52 AM
 
Location: New Zealand
2,933 posts, read 2,081,869 times
Reputation: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
People should us e-mail for personal messeges and not fill this forum with private comments filling up web space on city-data com. Rejecting comments.

If you really want to comment /debate ...... fine .... go right ahead.

I am sure others will be happy to oblige you.

Oh and thanks for bumping

This was not a personal message to a couple of people - it is a message to all preterists (some whom I can not remember their signons as they have not been posting lately) I was basically saying I did not want to debate preterism with anyone on this thread but if any want to take this specific thread as opposed to all of the other threads on the subject to debate the subject ---- thats ok -- go right ahead.

Last edited by meerkat2; 12-25-2009 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 07:31 PM
 
10,164 posts, read 4,611,207 times
Reputation: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeapostle View Post
Funny, I dont see John's date for writing the book in Revelation. If the book is written after 70 A.D., Why is the temple being measured in Revelation 11, if it had already been destroyed?
The temple was being measured IN THE DAY OF THE LORD which is yet future.

If you are going to use that rational then you must also say the new earth came in 70 A.D. too or before because John saw the angel measure the holy city on the new earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 07:33 PM
 
10,164 posts, read 4,611,207 times
Reputation: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
If this is the same John as the disciple John he would be around 90 years old when he wrote this... if in fact it has such a late date... That makes no sense! to me anyway.

From scripture we know that John was imprisoned at patmos, was being persecuted because of his faith.. and yet you say a 90 year old man was still living (even now with medical technology 90 is no spring chicken) and was being imprisoned during persecution?

I think that is stretching the limits of reality.

Now if the book of Revelation were written in 68 (as some claim) then John would have been in his 60's which is still older than the life expectancy of the first century.

I think just with the clues given in the book itself we can conclude that it was written before the fall of Jerusalem.
Wasn't Moses about a 100 years old when he wrote the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
6,805 posts, read 4,521,150 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Wasn't Moses about a 100 years old when he wrote the law?
1500 years before Christ? LOL

Psalm 90:10 The length of our days is seventy years--or eighty, if we have the strength; yet their span is but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away.

Life span in David's time was seventy to eighty... see how ridiculous it might be to say that John was being imprisoned and persecuted at 90...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2009, 08:06 AM
 
10,164 posts, read 4,611,207 times
Reputation: 731
Moses died at 120 years of age. (Deuteronomy 34:7)

No, it is not rediculous at all to think John was imprisoned and persecuted at 90 especially when he was one of the leaders of the Circumcision church.

Not to mention John was filled with holy spirit and had performed many miracles.

The Bible also says that the length of our days are ______ years but by discipline can be increased.
I don't have my bible with me so don't know exactly the years or where it is found.

John did not live much longer after being released from Patmos at the age of 90, maybe 10 years having died around 100 A.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2009, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,214 posts, read 3,120,720 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by eusebius View Post
moses died at 120 years of age. (deuteronomy 34:7)

no, it is not rediculous at all to think john was imprisoned and persecuted at 90 especially when he was one of the leaders of the circumcision church.

Not to mention john was filled with holy spirit and had performed many miracles.

The bible also says that the length of our days are ______ years but by discipline can be increased.
I don't have my bible with me so don't know exactly the years or where it is found.

John did not live much longer after being released from patmos at the age of 90, maybe 10 years having died around 100 a.d.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:02 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top