U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 04:22 PM

27,155 posts, read 17,891,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I must of missed the freedom of speech part. Did Annie say Christians shouldn't be allowed to speak?

Really, if this was an honest interview debating separation of church and state or freedom of speech etc. and each listening/discussing the others views then fine. But to stick Annie on there and go on the attack and then for all these folks to come on here and bash her as being stupid is pointless. No one learns anything. AISI "Christlike" = treating the other person as you would want to be treated yourself. If Laura would just say "I don't agree with you because of XYZ" instead of the antics she used (ridiculing the minority status and implying that atheists don't care about people) it would (IMO) have been a more productive interview.

If there's one thing history has taught us it's that the government needs to stay the hell out of religious issues altogether. Their only job concerning religion is to make sure everyone is free to practice or not practice as they choose as long as long as civil laws are not being broken.

Government + religion is always a recipe for disaster.
I absolutely agree the government needs to stay out of religion especially christianity, i will have to watch the clip again but i certainly remember her saying she's a 3rd generation athiest and her objection to christmas .
Regarding Laura being christian means nothing to me , it's the easiest thing in religious America to say you are a christian .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 05:07 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,276,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I absolutely agree the government needs to stay out of religion especially christianity,
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
i will have to watch the clip again but i certainly remember her saying she's a 3rd generation athiest and her objection to christmas .
She said she's a third generation "freethinker" and did say she believed there is no evidence that the Christian God exists. I'm sure her organization is opposed to tax dollars being used for any particular religious purposes, which is the proper constitutional position.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:37 PM

27,155 posts, read 17,891,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Fair enough.

She said she's a third generation "freethinker" and did say she believed there is no evidence that the Christian God exists. I'm sure her organization is opposed to tax dollars being used for any particular religious purposes, which is the proper constitutional position.
Freeborn i don't want to appear to be argumentive with you but 3rd generation free thinker yea right . In otherwords if you believe like i do you are a free thinker , if you believe in Jesus Christ keep your beliefs to yourself(but if i want to tell you there's no God that's fine) , sounds like freedom of speech to me.

For me it's an attack on christianity which unfortunately christianity can only blame itself for , for being of the world rather than being just in the world

I understand your opposition to right wing christianity , but to say this woman was more christ like is stretching it just a little.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:20 PM

13,856 posts, read 20,968,364 times
In fairness "freethinker" is a specific term, it doesn't mean "believe whatever you want so long as it is your choice."

Generally it seems to mean "ideals should be based in science, logic, and reason." I think when I read about it it meant one should be "free of" ideals based in tradition, authority, and religion. If one freely chooses to convert to a religious tradition, like Orthodox Judaism or Coptic Christianity, one is not a "freethinker" even though they may have made a thoughtful and free decision. Likewise if someone rejects "tradition and authority" because their parents taught them to that maybe "freethinking."

Admittedly that might seem perplexing, but it is fairly standard for the term "freethinker." That said being a "third generation freethinker" strikes me as potentially paradoxical in that it implies a tradition. Although possibly a freethinker goes in a different direction than their freethinker parent. Maybe she's for Keynesian economics and they're not or something.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:37 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,276,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Generally it seems to mean "ideals should be based in science, logic, and reason."
It's more like "Free from religion thinker", right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity