Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,244,964 times

Advertisements

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Matthew 12

Clearly unforgivable and forgivable in this world and the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 PM

14,743 posts, read 17,072,229 times
Hi, If it is unforgivable, they suffer the consequences. I believe that the problem that is all do not agree on what the consequences are and the time frame. The passage literally places this in the context of the ages, not worlds. Ages are indefinite periods of time. God bless.

Matthew 12: 31 “Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32 Whoever [a]speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever [b]speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come. (NAS)

31 Because of this I say to you, all sin and evil speaking shall be forgiven to men, but the evil speaking of the Spirit shall not be forgiven to men.
32 And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it shall be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming. (Young's Literal)

Old 12-31-2012, 05:15 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,122,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Matthew 12

Clearly unforgivable and forgivable in this world and the next.
I think this "blasphemy" against the spirit is more common than many would want to believe.
Most of us have, at one time or another, not believed or followed a prompting of the spirit and instead of gone contrary to it.
Nobody's perfect!

For-give... Given to go For-ward.
When we deny truth, we cannot truly go forward in it, can we?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 AM

9,677 posts, read 9,971,995 times
See there are two obstacles for Heaven ; One Holy Spirit cannot forgive sin to anyone as this is not part of His purpose , as He is the deliverer of blessings to the earth from God , were forgiveness is a blessing ......., then there is the fact that Jesus will not cross tolerances that people hold , he may coach them to change from time to time when widows open up , but if no is the word from man the tolerances will stay and Jesus will honor them onto and even their passing from this world ....Where Jesus warns people from not believing in this character of God

Old 12-31-2012, 10:18 AM

If something was forgivable it would be just that. When something is unforgivable it is never to be forgiven, unless you have a hard time understanding logic.

If the strange interpretation of ages was limited then Jesus would have said it was forgivable when the ages are up, but that's not the case.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,122,489 times
FollowerOfX,
God is love & has asked us to always forgive others.
Even Jesus, when he was on the cross said, "Forgive them for they know not what they do."

To me, it is LOGICAL that for-giveness means that we are given to go forward.
So, unforgiveness means we are NOT given to go forward.
If we are living truth, we are given to go forward in it.
If we are denying truth, we are NOT given to go forward in it.
Simple.
It's just that you, like I was, are brainwashed to equate forgiveness with an externally imposed shame, rather than what it implies, "logically" & "intuitively."

Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,349,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
FollowerOfX,
Even Jesus, when he was on the cross said, "Forgive them for they know not what they do."

Simple.

It's just that you, like I was, are brainwashed to equate forgiveness with an externally imposed shame, rather than what it implies, "logically" & "intuitively."

And there is GRACE built into this spiritual law. For when we are stuck and unable to go forward because we are denying truth, the negative consequences cause us to seek truth.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:10 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,675,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
If something was forgivable it would be just that. When something is unforgivable it is never to be forgiven, unless you have a hard time understanding logic.

If the strange interpretation of ages was limited then Jesus would have said it was forgivable when the ages are up, but that's not the case.
Amen....
We read in Matt. 12:31-32.... Jesus is warning the Pharisees about the unpardonable sin. His power to cast out demons was obviously the work of the Holy Spirit of God (v.28). For them to claim that He cast our demons by satan's power was blasphemy against the Spirit. They were calling God's saving work the work of satan. There was no forgiveness for them because they had rejected God's one chosen means of salvation. By refusing to repent, they excluded themselves from the sphere of forgiveness.

The overall teaching of Scripture shows us that God is ready to forgive the sin of any person who asks to be forgiven. Yet a few passages seem to refer to a sin that cannot be pardoned (Mark 3:28-30, Luke 12:10, Heb.6:4-8. 1 John 5:16).
In Mark's account we can read the sin is called the sin against the Holy Spirit. These Jewish leaders had completely rejected Jesus, contending that His power did not come from God but from satan (3:22). They had taken a deliberate attitude of hardened resistance. They put themselves beyond reach of forgiveness.
We read in Heb.6:4-8, 10:26-31 that describes people who once had a genuine experience of God's grace in Christ but had totally turned against Him. These scriptures are not speaking of Christians who make mistakes or even who fall into sin through temptation. Rather these people deliberately and persistently deny Christ. And because they turned from Him and refuse to come back, there was no way for them to be forgiven.

In a similar pattern those who committed the "sin leading to death" (1John 5:16) were probably former Christians who now refused to believe in and follow Christ.
In all of these circumstances the problem is not God's refusal to forgive, but humanity's persistent and determined rejection of Christ. By this rejection people put themselves beyond the reach of God's forgiveness.

Rest assure that those who are still concerned about their own salvation have not committed this sin.

Blessings

Old 12-31-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
FollowerOfX,

Simple.
Well i don't believe in your view of Christianity. That's were Jesus Christ comes in. He's the truth and the word. If he wasn't maybe i'd consider following your ways.

It has nothing to do with going forward or it would have said so. It has to do with this age and the next which doesn't equate with your version.

Thanks for your opinion though.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 PM

55 posts, read 63,270 times
Well, I only have a little mountain logic but it seems to me that you can't blasphemy a person unless you truly know Him. You can blasphemy the name of a person you read in a book with no effect to that person. It's more personal than just words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity