U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-24-2009, 07:48 AM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,433,321 times
Reputation: 1784

Advertisements

Do Tattoos Have a Spiritual Meaning?


Leviticus 19:28
You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD.
The Old Testament explicitly forbids God's people from getting tattooed. It might be argued that believers in God have refused to get tattooed because they view the body as the Holy Spirit's temple. But research conducted in 1999 is beginning to suggest that there is more to the issue.

Dr. William Cardasis, a Michigan criminal psychiatrist, sees a possible link between criminal behavior and tattoos. In his study of 55 patients at a maximum security hospital, Dr. Cardasis found statistical links between sociopathic behavior and the tendency to wear tattoos. He found that patients with tattoos were much more likely to have no regard for the rights of others, behave impulsively and lie and steal with no remorse. Another study of cadavers in New York City showed that the bodies of teen drug addicts had twice the number of tattoos compared to the general population. One tattoo artist told the press that he refuses to tattoo the face, neck or hands. He pointed out that some people consider tattoos in these places to be "serial killer territory." Dr. Cardasis adds that simply having a tattoo doesn't mean one is a criminal that depends on what the tattoo means to the person wearing it.

Getting a tattoo is a permanent commitment to the symbol represented by the tattoo. Believers should have a permanent commitment only to Jesus Christ.

References: "What do tattoos say about the soul?" The Toronto Star, 12/26/99, p.J6.

Visit Web Site | Donate | Catalog | Subscribe | Unsubscribe 2008 Creation Moments, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Call us at 1-800-422-4253
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2009, 08:17 AM
 
7,329 posts, read 5,829,050 times
Reputation: 1233
Yes the word of God says NO tattoos and that is so, because tattoos draw attention to demons people do not need, Tattoos are a challenge to the Lord God in Anointing these people need extra attention to be clean but the Lord God can clean them of these spirits. It is easyer to never get a tattoo for believers for Heaven to help them. People who have tattoos and Become Christians then then it is best to pray more through out your lives and every thing will be fine. On other ideas of cutting of flesh or cut hair on the sides like the word of God says can attract demons, most of these laws came when Israel left Egypt with Moses. The Lord God did want to leave these demonic customs behind.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2009, 08:27 AM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,233 posts, read 7,551,115 times
Reputation: 17775
Hmm...interesting information!

I always believed that tattooing was not of the Lord because of the scripture, Leviticus 19:28, and believing that the body is the temple of God.

The statement from Dr. William Cardasis is interesting and does make sense! I would like to venture and read up in the link you have provided.

It's just amazing how the last several years how tattoo's are on the rise and so many doing it on their entire body....it is so sad seeing our youth wanting to mark their entire bodies up like they are doing... !! It really makes one wonder what is behind it.... are some like what Dr. Cardasis states or is some doing it because of a generational fad....???

Amen...."Believers should have a permanent commitment only to Jesus Christ."

Blessings
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,435 posts, read 26,656,485 times
Reputation: 19518
I did a search and brought this back up. I am a Christian, Southern Baptist. I also have tattoos. I am none of the above of which this study speaks.

I had a poster give me a rep a while back questioning me being a Southern Baptist. He also knew that I had tattoos.

For some reason I thought of this the other day. As Christians, should we not be accepting of any person? That has been something that really bothers me. I know preachers covered in tattoos and I think no less of them than preachers with no tattoos.

As I sit here typing this, my arms and back and legs are covered, and not a soul would know about my tattoos. My Bible is sitting here next to me and I have worked on my Sunday School lesson.

I imagine I just look like a lady who is doing her Sunday school lesson. If I took my jacket off, then I would be a lady with tattoos doing her Sunday school lesson. Why should I not be allowed to be a Christian? Does God not love everyone? Does he love me less? I don't think so.

I think it is people. People are very judgmental and they shouldn't be.

I have no criminal behavior just because I have tattoos. That is just cazy! A serial killer? Not even close.

I am a mother and I am a daughter. In the past, I have been a Sunday School teacher and have sung in the church choir.

The day I got a tattoo did that make me a bad person? Did it make me all of a sudden have a criminal mind?

Does research show that the day before I had my first tattoo I was just fine and the next day I was going to start having criminal behavior?

People are very quick to quote Leviticus 19:28 but did they read Leviticus 19:27 which reads You shall not shave around the sides of your head, nor shall you disfigure the edges of your beard.

Are you here to tell me that the men who shave the sides of their heads or trim the edges of their beard are doing wrong?

Christians should be accepting of all people. I am a Christian, and I am accepting of all people. I am not a criminal or a person with sociopathic behavior just because someones study says so.

I would love to know if all Christian men do not shave around the edges of their heads or trim the edges of their beards, and if they do, are they no good in the Lords eyes.....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 02:19 PM
 
19,952 posts, read 11,303,309 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Do Tattoos Have a Spiritual Meaning?


Leviticus 19:28
You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD.
The Old Testament explicitly forbids God's people from getting tattooed. It might be argued that believers in God have refused to get tattooed because they view the body as the Holy Spirit's temple. But research conducted in 1999 is beginning to suggest that there is more to the issue.

Dr. William Cardasis, a Michigan criminal psychiatrist, sees a possible link between criminal behavior and tattoos. In his study of 55 patients at a maximum security hospital, Dr. Cardasis found statistical links between sociopathic behavior and the tendency to wear tattoos. He found that patients with tattoos were much more likely to have no regard for the rights of others, behave impulsively and lie and steal with no remorse. Another study of cadavers in New York City showed that the bodies of teen drug addicts had twice the number of tattoos compared to the general population. One tattoo artist told the press that he refuses to tattoo the face, neck or hands. He pointed out that some people consider tattoos in these places to be "serial killer territory." Dr. Cardasis adds that simply having a tattoo doesn't mean one is a criminal that depends on what the tattoo means to the person wearing it.

Getting a tattoo is a permanent commitment to the symbol represented by the tattoo. Believers should have a permanent commitment only to Jesus Christ.

References: "What do tattoos say about the soul?" The Toronto Star, 12/26/99, p.J6.

Visit Web Site | Donate | Catalog | Subscribe | Unsubscribe 2008 Creation Moments, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Call us at 1-800-422-4253
I'm not an ancient Israelite. And I didn't get my tats for the dead.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 02:20 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,435 posts, read 26,656,485 times
Reputation: 19518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not an ancient Israelite. And I didn't get my tats for the dead.
Well me either!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 PM
 
19,952 posts, read 11,303,309 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well me either!
I would suggest that the Levitical Law on it has no bearing on you, then.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Florida -
7,318 posts, read 8,473,023 times
Reputation: 11762
I wasn't aware that tattoos had any spiritual meaning (?) ---However, in my years of ministry in prisons, halfway houses and missions, it's pretty evident that these folks are some of the most heavily 'decorated' ... of any 'group' I've ever been aware (including gang affiliations). ... IMO, a high percentage of the chronic problems these folks face --- are actually spiritual problems, therefore, one might make a case that there is a relationship between these forms of expression.

I don't have any conclusive evidence to validate this, but, it seems that heavily tattoo'd folks are certainly more prevalent among those operating on the 'fringes' vs 'mainstream' or 'Christian-oriented' segments of society. (Of course, there are anecdotal examples that contradict such observations, ... but, in general, it seems to have some validity). Therefore, instead of asking "Should Christians get heavily tattoo'd?" ... the question might be, "Is there any evidence to suggest that tattoos are highly prevalent among Christians?" -- While I know many heavily tattoo'd folks who become Christians, I'm not aware of many Christians who get heavily tattoo'd.

Last edited by jghorton; 03-20-2013 at 03:26 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM
 
6,065 posts, read 8,780,696 times
Reputation: 7186
Usually I would give a Bible verse and state the plain facts on what God thinks about tattoos and close the discussion out right. But recently I have had the shock of my life regarding tattoos and God's mercy and grace. It is so large and eternal. Kat Kerr, author of Revealing Heaven, stated that we are now in the kingdom age and in this age God is doing new things in a new way. She revealed we are actually all tattooed in Heaven (when we get there) with the mark of God. Just like Satan tattoos his prisoners in Hell with the mark of the beast, God gives us his own mark (invisible btw) on our foreheads in Heaven. Satan just copied what God did to us because his primary purpose was to be like God! And he can't be!

And in this kingdom age, Christians that are marked for him - people with tattoos of the cross or the Christ or anything that was meant in dedication to the Lord - on their bodies will not be condemned but saved. Because what Satan tried to do with this generation of people is start this tattoo trend so many could be condemned and sent to Hell. But God said in this kingdom age and with the great outpouring coming on the Earth, he is doing new things in a new way and the people that are marked for him will NOT be lost! We're all going to be marked in heaven anyway! So doing it on Earth is only going to solidify your soul to who it belongs to! God! He's actually going to have many people marked in these coming days. The enemy is going to burn and seeth when he sees what God is getting ready to do. He thought he deceived people with tattoos into condemnation. Well, he has another think coming because God has another plan in store for this generation. His mercy, love, and grace transcends anything you ever thought of!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 06:35 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,435 posts, read 26,656,485 times
Reputation: 19518
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I wasn't aware that tattoos had any spiritual meaning (?) ---However, in my years of ministry in prisons, halfway houses and missions, it's pretty evident that these folks are some of the most heavily 'decorated' ... of any 'group' I've ever been aware (including gang affiliations). ... IMO, a high percentage of the chronic problems these folks face --- are actually spiritual problems, therefore, one might make a case that there is a relationship between these forms of expression.

I don't have any conclusive evidence to validate this, but, it seems that heavily tattoo'd folks are certainly more prevalent among those operating on the 'fringes' vs 'mainstream' or 'Christian-oriented' segments of society. (Of course, there are anecdotal examples that contradict such observations, ... but, in general, it seems to have some validity). Therefore, instead of asking "Should Christians get heavily tattoo'd?" ... the question might be, "Is there any evidence to suggest that tattoos are highly prevalent among Christians?" -- While I know many heavily tattoo'd folks who become Christians, I'm not aware of many Christians who get heavily tattoo'd.
I think people can get tattoos with spiritual meaning behind them.

I am actually a person who was a Christian before getting tattoos. I am quite sure I am not the only one. I also know a person who preaches and is a tattoo artist. He does a lot of religious work.

Come to think of it, I know quite a few Christians who are actually pretty heavy into the church who have and continue to get tattoos.


None of the above bolded was my question, and none do I care to ask.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top