Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
The word "see" in the Greek there in revelations 1:7 is optanomai, from when we derive the word optic, here it is in conjunction with the word ophthalmos (eye) ... This affirms the literal meaning of the word optanomai in this. It is specified that the eye will see ...
Look at the rest of the scriptures and discern it< look at the root word as well:

Here are some others:

Matt 5:8 Blessed [are] the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Can you see God?

Matt 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

These were spirits, only beheld by the disciples

Matt 27:4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What [is that] to us? see thou [to that].

This denotes "knowing"

Matt 27:32 When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but [that] rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed [his] hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye [to it].

This denotes "mind you to it"...or see ye to it as the text states. Not a visual perception with the eye.

Luke 3:6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

Know the salvation.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

How can you visually with the eyeball "see everlasting life"?
You can know it.

Quote:
Act 1:11
Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven............How is the destruction of the temple in any way to be understood "in like manner" to Christs ascension?
Oh really?

“In Like Manner”

Acts 1:11 says that “this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in
like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.”

If “in like manner” means “in exactly the same way,” would “in the likeness of his death” in
Romans 6:5 mean that we have died in exactly the same way Jesus died?

If “in like manner” means “in exactly the same way,” how then does Jesus come from heaven
riding a white horse (Rev. 19:11)?

If “in like manner” means “in exactly the same way,” how then does the Lord come “with ten
thousands of his saints” (Jude 14)?

If “in like manner” means “in exactly the same way,” how then does Jesus come “as lightning
cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west” (Matthew 24:27)?

If “in like manner” means “in exactly the same way,” how then does Jesus come “with a shout,
with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God” (1 Thessalonians 4:16)?

If “in like manner” means “in exactly the same way,” how then does Jesus come “in flaming fire”
(2 Thessalonians 1:8)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 05:13 PM

187 posts, read 314,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I believe that both the destruction of the temple in ad 70, and the destruction of the Jerusalem by Antiochus IV Epiphanes were foreshadowing events. Like i have already said in the past, i believe in a mix of all prophetic Hermeneutics, and that foreshadowing explains what both hyper Preterists and hyper Futurists misunderstand. These past judgments on Israel were types of the final Judgment to come just before God establishes Israel as the head of the nations. We know they were only types because Jerusalem is still trampled under the foot of the gentiles, as the dome of the rock itself stands in the place of the temple ... All the Hebrews have at this time is the wailing wall ... The bible is specific about the eventual restoration of Israel to the head of the nations and the restoration of Jerusalem to Israel.
Ok...Now I see where you are coming from. You see the Israel of God as something physical/literal/natural. However I believe Paul in Galatians, Jesus in the gospels, and the author of Hebrews would disagree with that estimation.

Now...I would agree with the foreshadowing thing. But that Antiochus was the shadow and ad70 was the ultimate fulfillment.

And doesn't Ezekiel 37 tie the restoration of Israel to the new covenant?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Rom 16:20 Now the God of peace will be crushing Satan under your feet swiftly. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you!

When it happens it will be very swift.
Swift...LOL

Old 12-31-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
All the talk of the kingdom being a spiritual kingdom, etc. I believe in a spiritual kingdom. But I also believe there will come a time when the physical ends. Pretersit seem to believe this physical,carnal,sinful world goes on forever. But it seems clear to me that God has a plan for the ages. That plan will be fulfilled at some point in man`s future. But according to God who is outside of time and is a spiritual being it has already been fulfilled. It has already happened. But we in the physical world of time haven`t experienced it yet. The lamb was slain from the foundation of the world. It already happened with God. But man didn`t experience it until 2000 years ago.
We can`t wrap our minds around the time concept. We can`t understand what it`s like to be outside of time when everything happens NOW. Everything IS happening,not did happen or will happen. That`s why God knows everything. He knows the beginning from the end because he created it. He is the beginning and the end. He sees everything that did ,is, and will happen. He caused it to happen. He is the first cause of everything. He created time for physical man. He has already seen the past present and future. He is seeing it now. He ordained it to happen even before it happened. Think of Paul and his vision or out of body experience or John. Did they go outside of time to see events that will happen and observe them as they were happening? Were those events already happening but due to the constraints of physical time,had not appeared in the physical realm?
Elements will burn with fervent heat....is that what you are referring to?

Look up the word stoicheion and discern it in its context.
Elements has nothing to do with the world as we know physically, but only with the ordinances and system of the Old Covenant.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:43 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
The really bad thing about full preterism/hyper is that it teaches that sin and death shall forever reaign over the physical creation.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:08 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
A Refutation of Preterism
A REFUTATION OF PRETERISM
Quote:
If there is a correlation, then could it be that God will destroy the world within forty years after He showed me the vision depicted in 2 Peter 3:10 and told me, "The world is coming to an end"? If so, then the world will come to an end sometime around the year 2020, if not before. If this is the case, then what is referred to as the "Great Tribulation" (lasting three and a half years—not seven) will begin and the Antichrist will be revealed no later than 2016.
That is among the most ridiculous justifications for condemning a doctrine I have ever read on this website (and I have read a LOT of ridiculous justifications for a certain position on this site) This is not to denigrate Eusebius for his position. I hold him/her in high regard because (s)he writes very sensible and loving posts here, not to mention the quote above was from the author of the article, and not Eusebius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity