U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-25-2009, 11:36 AM
 
12,647 posts, read 6,495,150 times
Reputation: 2157
Default Evidence of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ

I wanted to present this link which gives details of the evidence of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Some will say why present this on a Christian forum? As seen from my recent thread on the Gospel, there are plenty of skeptics on this forum. Some might say, wouldn't this be better suited for easter? To which I simply say, ''No''. Okay, so much for the lead in. Here's the link.

Evidence for the Resurrection
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2009, 05:07 AM
 
4,612 posts, read 2,584,275 times
Reputation: 591
Every believer who went though a peneticostal experiance has evidence of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. The presence of the Holy Spirit and the anointing of Christ on believers lives is proof of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. If people reject this evidence, than that is a dishonor to them and their words have no relevance, The believers know the know and convincing them otherwise will be impossible, because their witness is in the body, as the temple of the Holy Spirit is in the body of Believers Unbelievers can come up with millions of ideas to tell believers that Holy Spirit is no evidence, but they will be wasting their time. In the word of God, the Apostles said anybody who experiences of the resurrection can become an Apostle
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2009, 11:31 AM
 
Location: In God's Hand
1,315 posts, read 961,770 times
Reputation: 134
Seeking after a sign by seeking after the spirit is not the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Believers will only be given the sign of Jonah. It is an adulteress generation that seeks after a sign.

The fact that He has risen where no one can point to an empty tomb is the evidence of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. If Jesus had not risen at all, there would be no christianity.

But strangely enough.. the hype seeking after spirits for power, tongues that comes without interpretation, and other manifestations would be present today as it was before Christ came.

That is why we are called to be witnesses of the Son and to serve nothing else in His name.

It is by hearing the Gospel of Jesus Christ that new believers are bought with a price and sealed as His. No other invitation is needed nor offered as we have come to our resting place: and His name is Jesus Christ.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 10:33 AM
 
699 posts, read 519,308 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I wanted to present this link which gives details of the evidence of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Some will say why present this on a Christian forum? As seen from my recent thread on the Gospel, there are plenty of skeptics on this forum. Some might say, wouldn't this be better suited for easter? To which I simply say, ''No''. Okay, so much for the lead in. Here's the link.

Evidence for the Resurrection
I don't think it's necessary to attempt to provide proof to anyone. Faith is a response to divine revelation, not a response to proof that people put forward, no matter how true or compelling it may be.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 11:14 AM
 
12,647 posts, read 6,495,150 times
Reputation: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
I don't think it's necessary to attempt to provide proof to anyone. Faith is a response to divine revelation, not a response to proof that people put forward, no matter how true or compelling it may be.
At least one believer who had been a skeptic admitted that it was by looking into the historical evidence of the resurrection, that he became a believer. He had sought to discredit the resurrection of Christ and couldn't. Instead, he was brought to the point of belief in Christ.

Remember that the Gospel message is that Christ died for our sins, and that He was resurrected. If someone who is a skeptic can come to the conclusion based on the evidence that exists, that Christ did indeed arise from the grave, then He will believe. Of course there are those who do not want to believe no matter what the evidence, because they do not want to admit that they are accountable to God.

True faith is not blind, but is based on knowledge of the facts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 12:27 PM
 
699 posts, read 519,308 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
At least one believer who had been a skeptic admitted that it was by looking into the historical evidence of the resurrection, that he became a believer. He had sought to discredit the resurrection of Christ and couldn't. Instead, he was brought to the point of belief in Christ.
Well, that is what he says. Is his story infallible and to be considered as authoritative as scripture?

Quote:
Remember that the Gospel message is that Christ died for our sins, and that He was resurrected.
Yes, I agree, but that is a divine revelation, a message from God about Christ. Faith is always a response to the word of God. I don't know of anywhere in the Bible where faith is described as a response to proof. In fact, it says pretty much the opposite.

Quote:
If someone who is a skeptic can come to the conclusion based on the evidence that exists, that Christ did indeed arise from the grave, then He will believe.
What you're doing here is making out that man's problem is an intellectual one. If he can just be persuaded of the truth by way of historical proof, then the way will be clear for him to believe. But man's problem is deeper than that: It's unbelief, a willful, conscious rejection of what he knows to be true.

Quote:
Of course there are those who do not want to believe no matter what the evidence, because they do not want to admit that they are accountable to God.
Agreed, but that is how it is with every one of us before we believe.

Quote:
True faith is not blind, but is based on knowledge of the facts.
Agreed: It is based on revelation. :-)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 01:33 PM
 
12,647 posts, read 6,495,150 times
Reputation: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
Well, that is what he says. Is his story infallible and to be considered as authoritative as scripture?
It's not a matter of his story being as authoritative as scripture. By examining the data surrounding the events of the resurrection and coming to realize that that it couldn't have been faked, he believed what the Gospel message had to say about Christ and he believed.

Quote:
Yes, I agree, but that is a divine revelation, a message from God about Christ. Faith is always a response to the word of God. I don't know of anywhere in the Bible where faith is described as a response to proof. In fact, it says pretty much the opposite.
Here is what Christ said to Thomas in John 20:29. ''Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.''

People sometimes need a little help with their faith. God will use situations and circumstances to bring a person to Christ. And if some people need a little historical proof to help them come to Christ then that is fine. One of the greatest proofs that the Bible is the word of God are the many prophecies that it contains. Many of which have been historically fulfilled and so give confidence that the Bible is what it says it is. The word of God.

Faith in Christ means placing your trust in Christ. Knowing the historical evidence for the resurrection of Christ helped this person to come to Christ. And it could help others.


Quote:
What you're doing here is making out that man's problem is an intellectual one. If he can just be persuaded of the truth by way of historical proof, then the way will be clear for him to believe. But man's problem is deeper than that: It's unbelief, a willful, conscious rejection of what he knows to be true.
Don't make assumptions about what I am doing. There are many people who probably believed in Christ because they actually saw Him after He was resurrected. Thomas believed that Christ was resurrected only after he actually saw the resurrected Christ. The miracles that Christ performed were to get the attention of people so that they would listen to His message. The same is true of the miracles that the Apostles performed. People saw the miracles and listened to the message.

There is no difference between a head belief and a heart belief. The Greek word NOUS-mind, refers to the mentality of the soul, while the Greek word KARDIA-heart, refers to the seat of the soul, where the mentality is located.

Again, faith means trust. And trust comes from knowledge of the one you are placing your trust in. The merit is not in your faith, but in the object of your faith. All the faith in the world directed toward Allah won't save anyone because he doesn't exist. But a little faith directed toward Christ saves, because Christ is real. And if someone can be confident that Christ exists because they can believe the evidence of the resurrection, then they will if they want a relationship with Him, believe in Him. It's that simple.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 02:02 PM
 
699 posts, read 519,308 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
It's not a matter of his story being as authoritative as scripture.
I don't know about that. You brought up his story as a defense of your view, so you were obviously appealing to it as some kind of authority. Since it can't have the same or higher authority than Scripture, I wonder what good it does to bring it up.

Quote:
By examining the data surrounding the events of the resurrection and coming to realize that that it couldn't have been faked, he believed what the Gospel message had to say about Christ and he believed.
This is why I said earlier that you are making man's problem out to be an intellectual one. Look what you wrote: "By examining the data...and coming to realize...he believed." I'm not assuming anything about what you're doing. :-)

Quote:
Here is what Christ said to Thomas in John 20:29. ''Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.''



I grant you that this passage might support your view, but then we have what Christ said in Luke 16: "And he said, 'Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father’s house— 28for I have five brothers—so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.' 29But Abraham said, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.' 30And he said, 'No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.' 31He said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.'"

Is there a contradiction? I wonder also why Christ told Thomas that those who believe without seeing are "blessed."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 03:45 PM
 
12,647 posts, read 6,495,150 times
Reputation: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
I don't know about that. You brought up his story as a defense of your view, so you were obviously appealing to it as some kind of authority. Since it can't have the same or higher authority than Scripture, I wonder what good it does to bring it up.
It seems like you just want to argue. I did not bring up his story as a defense. There is nothing to defend. I said that a person came to believe in Christ as a result of coming to the conclusion based on historical evidence that the resurrection couldn't have been faked.


Quote:
This is why I said earlier that you are making man's problem out to be an intellectual one. Look what you wrote: "By examining the data...and coming to realize...he believed." I'm not assuming anything about what you're doing. :-)
I made it clear that it is a decision based on knowledge. Only a fool would deny that the more facts you have helps you come to a decision.

Some people hear the gospel and believe. Other people hear the Gospel and reject it as a fairy tale. Some of those people if given the evidence for the historical resurrection of Christ may reconsider their opinon about the Gospel. And indeed, at least one person did.

Or are you saying that you object to providing information that may help an unbeliever come to believe the Gospel?


Quote:



I grant you that this passage might support your view, but then we have what Christ said in Luke 16: "And he said, 'Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father’s house— 28for I have five brothers—so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.' 29But Abraham said, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.' 30And he said, 'No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.' 31He said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.'"

Is there a contradiction? I wonder also why Christ told Thomas that those who believe without seeing are "blessed."
The point is that Thomas did need to be convinced by proof that Jesus had been resurrected, and in seeing the proof, he did believe. Thomas by nature had always been someone who was a doubter. And as Christ said, someone who didn't need the proof is blessed. In other words, Christ recognized that it takes more for some people to believe than others.

If you believe the Bible is the word of God, then you know that there are no contradictions.

If you can't comprehend that empirical evidence can help a person come to believe, then you can't. John 20:28 pretty much says it all. Some people will never believe no matter what evidence is presented to them. Some people will believe easily.

Now, this argument you're trying to pursue comes under the heading of useless and vain. By his own admission, the person who was referred to DID come to believe in Christ after examining the evidence for the resurrection. If you want to call him a liar, then do so.

What I have posted already stands on its own. If you disagree, then you disagree. And? So? But? Therefore?...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 PM
 
1,998 posts, read 2,227,671 times
Reputation: 493
Well I fail to see how the link 'proves' anything.There are many people on this site who don't believe Jesus ever even existed,and there is little historical proof outside of the bible that he did.There is no 'proof' outside of the bible that the resurrection occured either.The only evidence that paul ever had contact with the resurrected Jesus is that he said he did.There is no 'proof' of the empty tomb,guarded by roman soldiers.Those who believe take it on faith,they have to as there is no 'proof' that the resurrection story is true.There is proof that even some early christian groups didn't even believe that Jesus had been resurrected.I'm not saying it didn't happen......but I sure can't prove it did.I didn't read anything in the link that would convince a skeptic,I consider myself to be a believer but nothing in that link in any way strengthend my belief.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top