U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:29 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,226,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
You still ignored Jesus giving the Apostles to forgive sins.
Apostles?

'On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."' Jn 20:19-23 NIV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 02:33 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,400,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Apostles?

'On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."' Jn 20:19-23 NIV
Thats your response, that I misspoke and said Apostles and not disciples. Sorry, the authority was given to the disciples. Now, please, continue with your response.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
the authority was given to the disciples.
So the authority was given to the disciples. What's more to say?

Old 03-04-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
So the authority was given to the disciples. What's more to say?
Plenty. Why would he give that authority, if all sins were already forgiven?

Old 03-04-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Plenty. Why would he give that authority, if all sins were already forgiven?
Because if one rejects Christ, one opts to present one's own righteousness to the throne, rather than his, as evidence. And of course one's own righteousness is not much.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Because if one rejects Christ, one opts to present one's own righteousness to the throne, rather than his, as evidence. And of course one's own righteousness is not much.
I'm confused about what that had to do with all sins being forgiven past, present, and future.

but we agree that our own righteousness is not much at all.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I'm confused about what that had to do with all sins being forgiven past, present, and future.
If God is to be God, no person in heaven and earth can act with impunity towards him. Otherwise, there is chaos in heaven and earth. Now Jesus has paid for all sins, ever committed, and no-one can ever say "I cocked a snook at God and got away with it." This is why Satan is defeated- Jesus used Satan's strength against him. But if we argue with this, and say "I refuse to accept that I need salvation," we take the responsibility for all our deeds and words upon ourselves. That is our sovereign right as gods, and nobody can deprive us of it. That is why Jesus said he came for the sick, and not the healthy.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
If God is to be God, no person in heaven and earth can act with impunity towards him. Otherwise, there is chaos in heaven and earth. Now Jesus has paid for all sins, ever committed, and no-one can ever say "I cocked a snook at God and got away with it." This is why Satan is defeated- Jesus used Satan's strength against him. But if we argue with this, and say "I refuse to accept that I need salvation," we take the responsibility for all our deeds and words upon ourselves. That is our sovereign right as gods, and nobody can deprive us of it. That is why Jesus said he came for the sick, and not the healthy.
That doesn't explain why he sent out his diciples with the authority to forgive sins, if they were all already forgiven

Old 03-04-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
That doesn't explain why he sent out his diciples with the authority to forgive sins, if they were all already forgiven
Nobody argues that mere men can forgive sins, do they. They declare what God's view is of forgiveness.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Nobody argues that mere men can forgive sins, do they. They declare what God's view is of forgiveness.
I'm sorry, can you try and explain that a little better. Im having a hard time understanding your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity