U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2009, 04:19 PM
 
2,845 posts, read 4,145,949 times
Reputation: 3518

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
This is not a civil rights issue. This is nothing compared to the black plight. This a moral issue like it or not and the state has a right to decide which is better for society either for or against.

I do believe this thread calls for a biblical point of view and not personal opinion
To disagree, I do think the original poster gets to decide what is relevant to his/her own thread.

It is a defensible position to call on governments to make clear laws protecting societies. However, civil rights are in place to protect and serve everyone. You would have to provide proof that your rights are unequally impaired. That is where the debate truly begins.

 
Old 12-26-2009, 04:21 PM
 
981 posts, read 526,216 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Gays can get married........termination based on color, orientation is discrimimation and that applies to everyone ......furthermore by your argument we are discriminating against single people too right because single people cannot adopt right.
I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Quote:
Your worldly argument doesn't wash. If you are going to argue please skip the not well thought out cliches
I'd suggest you take your own advice and spare me any future lectures about "not well thought out cliches," since you apparently have no problem employing them yourself.
 
Old 12-26-2009, 04:29 PM
 
981 posts, read 526,216 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
This is not a civil rights issue. This is nothing compared to the black plight. This a moral issue like it or not and the state has a right to decide which is better for society either for or against.
You are entitled to your opinion, but civil rights and black rights are not synonymous. Civil rights apply, regardless of race, to other issues. The concept has just been historically identified with the black struggle, but that does not make it exclusive. Also, the state has no right to strip or deny the rights of a minority group. That is completely false.

As for it being a "moral issue," homosexuality isn't a moral issue to begin with. That would be like saying eye color, skin color, height, or any other such inherent thing is a "moral issue," which would be absurd.

When heterosexuality becomes a moral issue, then you can talk to me about homosexuality.

Quote:
I do believe this thread calls for a biblical point of view and not personal opinion


It calls for any opinion you can and are willing to offer, but you should not presuppose that it will not be challenged.
 
Old 12-26-2009, 04:38 PM
 
7,327 posts, read 5,822,315 times
Reputation: 1233
Apostle Paul says it in Galations 3: 1-29 Did you stop sinning against the law of the word of God when you came to be In Christ. Probably not, many continued in sin for many days or years before Holy Spirit convicted you or The Lord God may have pruned the sin for more work. If Christians are for Gay marriage and promoting this life for Christians than the error is on their lives. We are not to Judge Gay people for or against the Law of the word of God Jesus is the judge for these things. Christians should know what they are supposed to do and not be doing. Christians are called to bless all people friends and enemies and Jesus will hold us up in Heaven and heal our prayers.
 
Old 12-26-2009, 04:40 PM
 
4,805 posts, read 18,280,929 times
Reputation: 4861
God gave us a top ten list for a reason.
 
Old 12-26-2009, 08:08 PM
 
17,968 posts, read 11,135,093 times
Reputation: 987
I think if homosexuals want to get married they should mover over to Sodom or Gomorrah and re-start that area. Maybe if those cities are destroyed again they'll eventually get the message?

Homosexuality and Lesbianism are against nature (the Bible says so). The man thing is for the woman thing.

I don't support gay rights. I don't support gay marriage. I don't support gays being able to adopt.
I don't support gays spreading STD's and aids etc. to our children.

Don't get me wrong though, I love all people including gays and so does God. But the last time I looked, being gay was a disciplinary act of God upon a person.
 
Old 12-28-2009, 01:24 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 2,122,910 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
This is not a civil rights issue. This is nothing compared to the black plight. This a moral issue like it or not and the state has a right to decide which is better for society either for or against.

I do believe this thread calls for a biblical point of view and not personal opinion
You have done a good job rationalizing and justifying discrimination in your own mind. But, non-heterosexuals are discriminated against specifically because of their orientation. The idea that sexual orientation is an issue of "morality" is precisely how members of religious sects spread missinformation. Sexual orientation is not something "chosen" by anyone. It is an innate part of one's being, just as it is with any living thing, and like almost anything else, as with sexual orientation, there is variation. Some people prefer mates who are of the opposite gender, and some prefer people of the same gender. When people have hang-ups about sex, or find it distasteful, they create rationales to justify their indifference, and religion based on archaic notions is a perfect vehicle.

The real hippocracy comes about when "fundamentalist" types do nothing to illegalize divorce, birth control, or even fidelity, which would be a true test of their faith. Hmm, why? because it specifically effects their sexuality. It has nothing to do with "religion" in this case.
 
Old 12-28-2009, 01:46 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 7,691,404 times
Reputation: 1457
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
If you are Christian and you 100% support gay rights and equality, up to and including marriage, then how do you reconcile that belief with your faith?
I reconcile it the same way the bible tee totalers reconcile stuffing their pie holes with fried shrimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Do you encounter condemnation from your fellow Christians because of your views?
Honestly it isn't something I normally talk about with people from a religious standpoint. Its generally in the context of a political discussion. However, if the person(s) wanted to speak to it from a religious standpoint I'd have no problem stating how ridiculous their bigoted views were.
 
Old 12-28-2009, 01:48 PM
 
Location: united states of america
241 posts, read 361,781 times
Reputation: 120
Default What!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
If you are Christian and you 100% support gay rights and equality, up to and including marriage, then how do you reconcile that belief with your faith? Do you encounter condemnation from your fellow Christians because of your views?

If they are they are not real christians
 
Old 12-28-2009, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Montrose, CO
1,954 posts, read 1,792,384 times
Reputation: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I think if homosexuals want to get married they should mover over to Sodom or Gomorrah and re-start that area. Maybe if those cities are destroyed again they'll eventually get the message?
Um the issue at Sodom and Gomorrah was inhospitality, it had nothing to do with homosexuality.

Quote:
Homosexuality and Lesbianism are against nature (the Bible says so). The man thing is for the woman thing.
Then why is homosexuality found in other species besides homosapiens? The Bible also says we should force women who have their husbands die to be married to their brother-in-law, should we force that as well? What about owning slaves? Oh yeah, and those fatties must surely be dealt with - gluttony is anti-biblical as well.

Quote:
I don't support gay rights. I don't support gay marriage. I don't support gays being able to adopt.
I don't support gay rights, I support equal rights for all, regardless of their sexual orientation. Likewise I don't support gay marriage, I support equal marriage for all. The state should get out of determining who can marry and perform civil unions. If a couple wants a church blessing, go for it. There is no way the church should be telling the state what to do.

I support gays being able to adopt, just because one is gay does not mean they are bad parents - given some of the true heterosexual trash I have met in my life, many gay's would be a huge improvement.

Quote:
I don't support gays spreading STD's and aids etc. to our children.
Well then you don't have an issue. Most of the pedophilia that exists in our society is HETEROSEXUAL in nature. Wherever did you get the idea that STD's and HIV/AIDS are being spread to children by gay's? Let me guess you read it on the web or you were told that by some fundie preacher?

Quote:
Don't get me wrong though, I love all people including gays and so does God. But the last time I looked, being gay was a disciplinary act of God upon a person.
Don't get me wrong, I view your thoughts and beliefs as anything but love. You are judging, condemning and placing some of God's creatures above others all when Christ himself told us to love our neighbor as ourselves.

I am afraid to ask what a disciplinary act of God means? Can we by extension that also applies to shellfish eaters, those who wear mixed fibers, those who plant 2 crops, lie down with a woman menstrating etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top