Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 06:19 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,462,343 times

Advertisements

Please stay on topic or I will close this thread..

Old 01-01-2010, 07:53 PM

981 posts, read 803,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm a Christian and I support gay rights, including marriage. I reconcile my point of view with my faith (although my faith is officially opposed to gay marriage ) because I don't believe that we have the right to deny anyone his or her civil rights. I view same-sex intimacy as sinful, but it's going to happen whether the people involved have the same rights under the laws of the land or not. Gays and lesbians are going to continue to have sex whether they're married or not. It's not going to affect my life if the gay couple next door has the same rights as the straight couple who lives on the other side of me. So, I say, let consenting adults do what they want in the privacy of their own homes, don't deny them the same civil rights any of the rest of us have, and let God decide what to do about "their behavior" after they die.
Thanks, you're one of the few who actually answered the question.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:10 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,176,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I am not for a sinful marriage.
Then you are not for EVERY marriage that ever took place.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,822,558 times
Well since it hasnt been closed I will bring it back to the forfront. Check out #26 and please read the whole thread.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:43 AM

4,553 posts, read 6,375,603 times
I am another young adult Christian who supports same-sex marriage. There is no shortage of Christians who support gay marriage today, especially amongst the young, although even more should. After all, there are a growing number of churches that bless gay marriages today, especially in major cities, college towns, and in the Northeast and Pacific. Such Christians are not fundamentalists or rightwing evangelicals. Many Episcopal, Presbyterian, Lutheran (ELCA), United Church of Christ, and Quaker congregations bless gay unions today.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I am another young adult Christian who supports same-sex marriage. There is no shortage of Christians who support gay marriage today, especially amongst the young, although even more should. After all, there are a growing number of churches that bless gay marriages today, especially in major cities, college towns, and in the Northeast and Pacific. Such Christians are not fundamentalists or rightwing evangelicals. Many Episcopal, Presbyterian, Lutheran (ELCA), United Church of Christ, and Quaker congregations bless gay unions today.
But does God bless such unions? The Bible is rather clear on the subject of marriage.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 AM

23,001 posts, read 34,321,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
But does God bless such unions? The Bible is rather clear on the subject of marriage.
No He does not.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No He does not.
Thank you, I wish more could realize that.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 AM

4,553 posts, read 6,375,603 times
Robin, I and many other Christians do not believe that the Bible is inerrant or literally the Word of God on all things. Martin Luther doubted that all the books of the current Bible were inspired by God, as did other great Christians through the ages. I and many Christians don't worship Paul's views or words, but do affirm the historic Nicean Creed. You might believe that the Bible is inerrant, but that doesn't mean that your view has a monopoly on Christian belief and practice. That is why we have different churches and denominations. There is diversity in Christianity, from progressive to fundamentalist. I am not a fundamentalist; in fact, I am an ex-fundamentalist young adult Christian.

As for the law, I don't believe that anyone's narrow religious beliefs should determine another person's civil and secular rights. Your rightwing religious beliefs should dictate your life, but not your neighbors who want nothing to do with your religious beliefs and have their own church, pastor, and beliefs. Why should religious conservatives oppress Reform Jews, Episcopalians, Lutherans, United Church of Christ, Disciples of Christ, Metropolitan Community Church, and Quakers who bless same-sex marriages? Religious fundamentalists need to stop their obsession with controlling other people's lives who want nothing to do with them.

The government should not make law based upon any religious views. Same-sex marriage is indeed a human rights and civil rights issue. People should be free to legally marry without regard to sex/gender. Thankfully, in an ever-growing portion of the world, they have this right. I applaud those who don't use religion as an excuse to treat others inhumanely.

Last edited by Tarheelhombre; 03-22-2010 at 10:28 AM..

Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,500,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No He does not.
I just love it when people play God's spokesman...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.