U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2010, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 21,192,701 times
Reputation: 10428

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Gays can get married........termination based on color, orientation is discrimimation and that applies to everyone ......furthermore by your argument we are discriminating against single people too right because single people cannot adopt right.

Your worldly argument doesn't wash. If you are going to argue please skip the not well thought out cliches
Your argument is so full of holes. In the states where gay people have the right to get married, heterosexuals have the same right and are free to marry someone of the same sex. See? Same rights!! And no, single people aren't banned from adopting in all states, only a couple or few backward states. In my state, gay people can adopt and gay couples an adopt and both be legal parents.

 
Old 03-23-2010, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 21,192,701 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
This is not a civil rights issue. This is nothing compared to the black plight. This a moral issue like it or not and the state has a right to decide which is better for society either for or against.

I do believe this thread calls for a biblical point of view and not personal opinion
lol! If everyone believed in your version of Christianity, then you might have a point, but we don't. The government has no right to pass laws based on the Bible or any religion!
 
Old 03-23-2010, 03:20 PM
 
Location: East Cleveland
217 posts, read 565,851 times
Reputation: 64
if they are, than there going against the old testament law...the story of LOT(pbuh) tells it all...
 
Old 03-23-2010, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 21,192,701 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie85 View Post
I am a Christian, and I support gay marriage. Even if same-sex marriage was available in all 50 of the United States, those who find same-sex marriage to be immoral would not be required to participate in one. I believe in the separation of church and state. It would not be much of a free nation if the majority could impose religious law upon the minority.

Furthermore, I believe the teachings of the Bible about same-sex sexual practices have been misinterpreted. Jesus never spoke about same-sex sex. Also, the Bible does not discuss same-sex relationships as we understand them today. In fact, some believe that passages cited against homosexuality in context seem to actually be condemning male-on-male rape. Rape has nothing to do with the loving, committed relationships that occur in our modern world between same-sex partners.

Overwhelmingly, Jesus was about love. Focusing on the minutiae of human sexuality seems to miss the big picture. Here is a good resource about the Bible and homosexuality: What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality (http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian - broken link) I do believe that same-sex couples can glorify God together in a loving, sacred union.

I also believe that sexual orientation is biological and immutable. Therefore, I do believe that God created some people to be gay. I know some wonderful gay couples. Some of them are foster parents, taking care of children that were abused by their straight parents. I find it sad when any immutable characteristic becomes the basis for judgment.

Yes, I have been treated poorly by many Christians who do not agree with my views on same-sex rights. I have been told that I am not a "real" Christian, that I must be "picking and choosing" my beliefs, or even that I am a "Satanist". It is unfortunate that they feel that way. But I can only follow where my studies and prayers have led, even if it means that I am exiled by some of my fellow Christians.
Thanks for your thoughtful post! I totally agree with you.
 
Old 03-23-2010, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 4,656,339 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are NOT Jesus, Robin . . . so you are too fallible to judge anyone else on ANY criteria for ANY reason, period. You have no authority to speak for God and you will never understand Him if you use the primitive and savage descriptions of Jehovah as your guide. The "mind of Christ" is ALIVE and within each of us . . . if we sincerely seek it. He is the living Word of God . . . not those dead "letters" whose misunderstanding He came to correct. Jesus left us with an interpreter of what God has "written in our hearts." Use it . . . not the precepts and doctrines of men . . . "written in ink." The scriptures are USEFUL in aiding us to understand what God has "written in our hearts." We need to trust what is written there . . . not rationalize evil as Good for some mysterious reasons of God beyond our understanding.
I havent judged anyone. Please show quotes of me judging anyone.
 
Old 03-23-2010, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 4,656,339 times
Reputation: 624
Fundy is not even here and is still catching flack, LOL
 
Old 03-23-2010, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Happy in Utah
1,224 posts, read 2,820,825 times
Reputation: 900
I support gay marriage and I am a christian. I belive that being Gay or Straight is not a choice you are born that way. We are supposed to treat eachother with love, dignty, kindness and fairness.
 
Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 4,656,339 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
I support gay marriage and I am a christian. I belive that being Gay or Straight is not a choice you are born that way. We are supposed to treat eachother with love, dignty, kindness and fairness.
I can understand what you are saying but are we supposed to let someone continue in sin without warning them? That doesnt sound much like love if we are going to condone and justify there sin. Would you just stand back and ignore someone who is drowning? Would you stand back and watch someone commit suicide? Why would you not reach out to someone caught in sin and show them the very love Christ has shown you? Are you afraid you might hurt their feelings by pointing out their sin? I just dont understand how anyone can be this hateful.
 
Old 03-24-2010, 10:50 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 7,749,860 times
Reputation: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
If you are Christian and you 100% support gay rights and equality, up to and including marriage, then how do you reconcile that belief with your faith?
Easy..

1. being in a loving relationship isn't a sin..

2. even if I did believe it was a sin I wouldn't want to restrict the rights of citizens of this country based on my religious view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Do you encounter condemnation from your fellow Christians because of your views?
condemnation from a fellow "Christian" is like a badge of honor.
 
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 4,656,339 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Easy..

1. being in a loving relationship isn't a sin..

2. even if I did believe it was a sin I wouldn't want to restrict the rights of citizens of this country based on my religious view.



condemnation from a fellow "Christian" is like a badge of honor.
How is it loving to condemn someone by justifying thier sin?

Well you must not have any badges becuse no one has condemned you, merely pointed out that you were wrong. You really need to think about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top