U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Unread 12-26-2009, 12:34 PM
 
981 posts, read 143,673 times
Reputation: 215
Lightbulb Are There Christians Who Are Actually FOR Gay Marriage?

If you are Christian and you 100% support gay rights and equality, up to and including marriage, then how do you reconcile that belief with your faith? Do you encounter condemnation from your fellow Christians because of your views?

 
Unread 12-26-2009, 12:53 PM
 
8,990 posts, read 7,898,442 times
Reputation: 722
I am not part of this but only to point out that Christians who are against homosexuality because its immoral are not against someone's rights or equality. Homosexuals have the exact same rights as everyone else if not more.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-26-2009 at 01:04 PM..
 
Unread 12-26-2009, 01:13 PM
 
981 posts, read 143,673 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I am not part of this but only to point out that Christians who are against homosexuality because its immoral are not against someone's rights or equality. Homosexuals have the exact same rights as everyone else if not more.
That claim makes no sense if gays cannot get married, adopt children, may have their employment terminated on the basis of their orientation or be discriminated against in housing, etc.
 
Unread 12-26-2009, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA
15 posts, read 31,018 times
Reputation: 14
It sounds as if you have been mis-informed. I used to think the same thing, but this is incorrect tax-wise and otherwise. Perhaps you may have some LOCAL laws that over come the federal laws in your area...
 
Unread 12-26-2009, 01:35 PM
 
2,495 posts, read 2,226,172 times
Reputation: 3084
I am one, and where I am there are plenty despite the passage of Prop 8, which was assertively marketed as an education reform bill to disguise its intentions. This is a civil rights issue. The state should not be in the business of bestowing sacraments.
 
Unread 12-26-2009, 02:21 PM
 
981 posts, read 143,673 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I am one, and where I am there are plenty despite the passage of Prop 8, which was assertively marketed as an education reform bill to disguise its intentions. This is a civil rights issue. The state should not be in the business of bestowing sacraments.
Thanks. I wish you were not so overshadowed by the more vocal opposition.
 
Unread 12-26-2009, 03:28 PM
 
8,990 posts, read 7,898,442 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
That claim makes no sense if gays cannot get married, adopt children, may have their employment terminated on the basis of their orientation or be discriminated against in housing, etc.
Gays can get married........termination based on color, orientation is discrimimation and that applies to everyone ......furthermore by your argument we are discriminating against single people too right because single people cannot adopt right.

Your worldly argument doesn't wash. If you are going to argue please skip the not well thought out cliches

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-26-2009 at 03:37 PM..
 
Unread 12-26-2009, 03:36 PM
 
8,990 posts, read 7,898,442 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I am one, and where I am there are plenty despite the passage of Prop 8, which was assertively marketed as an education reform bill to disguise its intentions. This is a civil rights issue. The state should not be in the business of bestowing sacraments.
This is not a civil rights issue. This is nothing compared to the black plight. This a moral issue like it or not and the state has a right to decide which is better for society either for or against.

I do believe this thread calls for a biblical point of view and not personal opinion

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-26-2009 at 03:52 PM..
 
Unread 12-26-2009, 04:05 PM
 
110 posts, read 134,272 times
Reputation: 142
Default Yes

I am a Christian, and I support gay marriage. Even if same-sex marriage was available in all 50 of the United States, those who find same-sex marriage to be immoral would not be required to participate in one. I believe in the separation of church and state. It would not be much of a free nation if the majority could impose religious law upon the minority.

Furthermore, I believe the teachings of the Bible about same-sex sexual practices have been misinterpreted. Jesus never spoke about same-sex sex. Also, the Bible does not discuss same-sex relationships as we understand them today. In fact, some believe that passages cited against homosexuality in context seem to actually be condemning male-on-male rape. Rape has nothing to do with the loving, committed relationships that occur in our modern world between same-sex partners.

Overwhelmingly, Jesus was about love. Focusing on the minutiae of human sexuality seems to miss the big picture. Here is a good resource about the Bible and homosexuality: What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality (http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian - broken link) I do believe that same-sex couples can glorify God together in a loving, sacred union.

I also believe that sexual orientation is biological and immutable. Therefore, I do believe that God created some people to be gay. I know some wonderful gay couples. Some of them are foster parents, taking care of children that were abused by their straight parents. I find it sad when any immutable characteristic becomes the basis for judgment.

Yes, I have been treated poorly by many Christians who do not agree with my views on same-sex rights. I have been told that I am not a "real" Christian, that I must be "picking and choosing" my beliefs, or even that I am a "Satanist". It is unfortunate that they feel that way. But I can only follow where my studies and prayers have led, even if it means that I am exiled by some of my fellow Christians.
 
Unread 12-26-2009, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,239 posts, read 23,963,519 times
Reputation: 10505
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
If you are Christian and you 100% support gay rights and equality, up to and including marriage, then how do you reconcile that belief with your faith? Do you encounter condemnation from your fellow Christians because of your views?
Tolerance. Treat others as you wish to be treated.

And really, my salvation isn't dependent on what other people do or believe. It's only about me--so there's a lot of "minding my own business" in there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top