U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:47 AM

454 posts, read 1,130,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
She is right for getting you a Bible. She is wrong for being involved with you if you're a non-believer, and she is a true believer. The Bible says no to this. Obviously your materialistic and she is lacking discernment.

hmmm....i could swear that jesus fella said something about 'passing judgement on others...."
oh yeah....it was in book of Matthew chapter 7 verse 1: "Judge not, that you be not judged".

Even an Atheist like me knows that!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 11:34 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,723,857 times
It really is the thought that counts.
Next time get her a nice used book like this Amazon.com: Used and New: Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder

Aeroman

Old 12-28-2009, 05:11 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,704,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
...Any one can tell this thread is a .....thread. Soon as I read it!

It truly is amazing how satan gets people sucked into these kind of things! This thread is doing nothing but drawing a contentious spirit!!!

Your probably right.

But contention can sure be fun sometimes

Old 12-28-2009, 06:59 PM

10,233 posts, read 7,619,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Your probably right.

But contention can sure be fun sometimes
LOL...guess I'm getting to old for all that contention going on these day's

Old 12-28-2009, 07:04 PM

172 posts, read 329,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquills View Post
I am just curious how much does a bible cost? They arn't totally free at a Church are they?

My girlfriend got me just a bible for Christmas. I went out and bought her earrings, clothes, dinner at a expensive restaurant, and more. I spent well over 250 for her, and she got me a bible. I think it is a used bible too.

She is trying to get me inducted into her church thing, and tells me that we can't get engaged unless I do, and bla bla bla. However, did she really just get me nothing for Christmas? Please tell me they are selling them for atleast over 50 dollars?

It sounds like you two are coming from two very different places... and that you aren't interested in being where she is.
Have you asked her about the Bible? Is it a family Bible? Is it special to her in some other specific way that is supposed to have meaning to you? Are there passages underlined for you?
What is the difference in your incomes? Maybe she couldn't afford to give you more, or maybe you weren't clear about what you wanted? How is your communication?

From the sound of just this one post it seems like this might be a relationship worth ending for the both of you. Good luck.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 PM

5,365 posts, read 4,131,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
OK come on, you have to admit you're being a little toolish about worrying how much a bible costs, as if it matters. Would you like it more if you knew it was expensive?!? Doubt it. And I have to say it's a little disturbing that you seem more concerned about the value of the bible than you are about the fact that this woman, who you are obviously serious with wants to convert you to her religion...?!? But that having been said, as jerky as you may be acting about the value of the damn thing, I'd say she is being just as jerky, if not more so, for getting you a present that was about what SHE wanted for you and not what she thought would make you happy. Which is what giving a gift is (or should be) about.

Now additionally, I agree with Btrja:

Yeah, you guys are doomed if you continue in a relationship where right off the bat one person wants to change the other. It sure sounds like you not only do not share her spiritual views, nor do you respect them- but obviously she isn't respecting YOUR feelings about them at all either, or she wouldn't give you an ultimatum like that...

Ditto all of this.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:36 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,640,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
His Post: I don't care if it is materialistic. I bust my hump and dipped into my savings for her. She picked up a free book one Sunday morning. Its cheap. I don't care what she believes in, but the gift of giving is not one of her values.

No, I saw how PO'd he was because she gave him a cheap gift instead of an IPod, etc. He seems like a very materialistic person and even admits as much in his post....he spent his savings and all she gave him was a book. Like I said, it's the thought of a gift that counts and not how much it cost in dollars.

Yeah I read his post...so what if he feels that way. It was a bible! gad! What an awful gift to give a non believer! It was very arrogant of her....like you said, it's the thought that counts and her thoughts were not thinking of HIM...she was thinking of how good it would make her feel to give her heathen boyfriend a bible.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 AM

19,126 posts, read 24,225,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Yeah I read his post...so what if he feels that way. It was a bible! gad! What an awful gift to give a non believer! It was very arrogant of her....like you said, it's the thought that counts and her thoughts were not thinking of HIM...she was thinking of how good it would make her feel to give her heathen boyfriend a bible.
That was pretty much my thought. That would be a deal breaker in my relationship..which me and my Atheist boyfriend have discussed. If either one of us became a believer and the other was still an unbeliever we would end the relationship amicably.

On a different note, my boyfriends mother (via my bf) gave me a late 1800s leather bound copy of 'On the Origin of Species' for my birthday which is 2 weeks before Christmas.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:49 PM

51,913 posts, read 27,617,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Why are you even serious about this person? It is a disaster in the making. I mean come on! Giving a Bible as a xmas gift to a guy who is not even into religion....
Come one, it is always worth a try. The Bible encourages believers to spread the word, so she is doing the right thing. Everyone is an unbeliever before becoming a believer.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:08 PM

19,476 posts, read 18,704,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquills View Post
I am just curious how much does a bible cost? They arn't totally free at a Church are they?

My girlfriend got me just a bible for Christmas. I went out and bought her earrings, clothes, dinner at a expensive restaurant, and more. I spent well over 250 for her, and she got me a bible. I think it is a used bible too.

She is trying to get me inducted into her church thing, and tells me that we can't get engaged unless I do, and bla bla bla. However, did she really just get me nothing for Christmas? Please tell me they are selling them for atleast over 50 dollars?
Well, I can see why you'd be disappointed since you're obviously not interested in converting to her church -- and it does seem like that's what she has in mind. On the other hand, since when is gift-giving supposed to be a tit-for-tat thing? If you love her enough to have spent $250 on her, does it really matter how much she spent on you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity